GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Snow tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-07, 02:56 PM
Metlupass2
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got Yokohama Ice Guards. I found them on ebay for a good price with some 16" Konig wheels already mounted. The winter in Chicago has been noexistent snow wise except for last week when all together we got over A FOOT of snow. Only trouble I had was getting outta my parking spots, which is a given no matter what tires you're using. I am very happy with these tires, EXCEPT driving on the highway with no snow on the ground. The car like to drift side to side and they are very loud, but I had the same problem with my Cobra and snow tires when the roads were dry.
Old 02-21-07, 03:36 PM
narfy
Lead Lap

i had yokohama ice guards on my AE86... had them... will never buy them again...

my GS430 doesn't have any problems getting out of parking spots.. even with a foot of snow...
Old 02-22-07, 07:56 PM
landarc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by e-man
I haven't had that problem, but I might be able to help. My wife's Acura MDX has had a problem over the last 18 months where it drifts to the left. The car has had 3 or 4 alignments and the problem persists. Recently, I had Acura switch the front tires left to right and vice versa and wouldn't you know it, the car started veering to the right. I went straight to Costco where we bought the tires (not coincidentally, 18 months earlier) and explained the problem. Suspecting the front right tire (previously front left) was the culprit, they rotated the right side only front to back and the drifting went away. They promptly replaced the right rear tire (previously front right and before that front left) under warranty at no charge.

Anyway, my point is that if you go to Costco and explain the situation, chances are they will work with you to resolve it. Keep us posted.

e
Well, I went to Costco today and explained to them what was happening with my tire noise. So they swapped my rear tires from RR to the RF and vice versa. Then put on new lug nuts, rebalanced and done. I drove home and no noises, so far. Hopefully this will solve the noise problem. Costco really came through. No charge for all the work. Now thats service. Thank you for telling me about your tire pulling story e-man.
Old 02-22-07, 08:02 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by landarc
Well, I went to Costco today and explained to them what was happening with my tire noise. So they swapped my rear tires from RR to the RF and vice versa. Then put on new lug nuts, rebalanced and done. I drove home and no noises, so far. Hopefully this will solve the noise problem. Costco really came through. No charge for all the work. Now thats service. Thank you for telling me about your tire pulling story e-man.
Yeah, Costco is the best. I'm glad it worked out for you. If the problem persists, though, my guess is that they'll replace one or more of the tires for you.