GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

** TRD Pads and TRD Slotted Rotors, new lower price!! **

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-01, 11:30 AM
SUPRATRD
Original CL Sponsor since 1999

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ** TRD Pads and TRD Slotted Rotors, new lower price!! **

I thought the last price I put up was good, this one is even better.

You can now have as a package:

TRD front pads
TRD rear pads
TRD slotted rotors, all 4

$399.00!!!! complete kit

When ever I'm able to pass along a discount CL members will know about it.

I have around ten sets at this price, individual pieces are also available at great prices.

The key benefit of TRD’s Performance Brake Pads is that they provide greater resistance to heat-related fade – experienced under severe braking conditions. Additionally, TRD’s pads offer reduced pedal vibration, increased pedal feel, minimum rotor wear, and silent operation.

The TRD slotted-brake rotors have 5-slots to help cool down the rotors and help increase rotor life.
The TRD rotors have the same size as factory rotors. 17” wheels are required for the TRD rotors.
Old 11-08-01, 11:44 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve - Haven't looked at the GS rotors but do the TRD rotors come with sensors for the ABS? Don't know how the Lexus setup works and I know that some setups have a ring that presses on and off of the rotor but I was wondering if the TRD rotors come ready to go with whatever it needs to keep the ABS active.

Ron
Old 11-08-01, 12:30 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Why do you need a 17" wheel when the rotor size is the same? Offests? I am going to be running my 16s through winter and then my 19" Blitz wheels, but until then 16s it is. Is there is reason you can't run stock 16" wheels?
Old 11-08-01, 12:55 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by MikeGS4PE
Why do you need a 17" wheel when the rotor size is the same? Offests? I am going to be running my 16s through winter and then my 19" Blitz wheels, but until then 16s it is. Is there is reason you can't run stock 16" wheels?
that's what I thought. If the caliper isn't replaced and the rotor is stock size, why does it need 17" rims?
Old 11-08-01, 03:54 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Can anyone answer this?
Old 11-08-01, 04:23 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by MikeGS4PE
Can anyone answer this?

I think Steve can

just that he didn't get back to this post yet.
Old 11-08-01, 05:53 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up ABS Will Be OK

Ron - The ABS system works off the caliper - drilled/slotted my factory rotors & they're just a standard rotor feom what i can tell. Wondering about the wheel size requirements myself - I can bolt my 16's on w/o any problems so the TRD rotors must be slightly larger ( wouldn't that necessitate a caliper change? ) or thicker, perhaps?
Old 11-08-01, 06:05 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Gene - OK, now I am confused. Has to be something going round and round that the ABS is sensing on each wheel or rotor. The systems I have seen have a magnetic pickup around the caliper but there is an array of magnets on the rotor that are moving. When it doesn't sense one wheel moving it does its ABS thing. Like I said, I haven't looked at the GS but I am familiar with a couple of other systems and they have a ring pressed on the back of the rotor with the magnets. Reason I got exposed was that I went to replace a rotor on a different car with ABS and had two different prices for the rotor that were off by about $120. Ends up one came with the ABS magnets while the other one required you to move the ring, which is a press fit, yourself. Just curious how the GS system works and insuring that the aftermarket rotors don't defeat the ABS. Maybe I'll look in those doggoned shop manuals I bought and see if they say anything.
Old 11-08-01, 07:14 PM
JacobT

I have replaced all 4 rotors myself. I'm sure there's no ABS sensor anywhere on the rotors and my ABS is still working fine. I just tested it today

I'm sure Steve got confused with the TRD brake upgrade. That would require 17". If you just replace rotors, 16" rims are OK.
Old 11-09-01, 03:50 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Like Jacob said, I think it was just a typo...replacement rotors should NOT need bigger wheels...

As for the ABS, I have AP racing brakes and my ABS works fine...
Old 11-09-01, 05:34 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Just curious, how long should your stock rotors last anyway? I have 72K miles and I am looking to replace my pads, but perhaps I should just replace the rotors at the same time... Any input?
Old 11-09-01, 05:59 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by theanimala
Just curious, how long should your stock rotors last anyway? I have 72K miles and I am looking to replace my pads, but perhaps I should just replace the rotors at the same time... Any input?
It really depends on how much abuse the rotors have taken out of those 72k miles. Stock rotors with normal driving conditions should last over 100k easy.
Old 11-09-01, 09:02 AM
SUPRATRD

Sorry about the 17" wheel confusion, it was translated directly from the Japanese text and since they have two different sizes over there..............

You DO NOT need 17" wheels for these rotors, they are a direct replacement for the factory ones here in the USA.
Old 11-09-01, 10:44 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Gene - OK, so I spent some time with both volumes of the 2k1 GS manual last night. Couldn't find the answer with just one of the books which is typical if anyone has these things. Anyway, the sensor for wheel speed is different than what I was used to. They have sort of made a tank circuit where bumps on the rotor affect the magnetic field and the AC generated. Speed changes the frequency of the signal generated. According to the manual, there are 48 serrations on the rotor that interact with the sensor at each wheel. As long as the rotor has the serrations, everything should be fine. If you have modified stock rotors, everything should be fine. Couldn't really see much on mine, looks like there is a ducting/shield in the way. These sensors are not only used by the ABS but the traction and skid controls. The system is kind of trick in that it is the frequency generated by each wheels sensor that is decoded for individual wheel speed indicating either lockup or skidding. As long as an aftermarket rotor is based on the factory rotor or has the 48 serrations (the exact word from the manual, I assume they look like small bumps or casting marks every 7.5 degrees apart under where the sensor is reading) everything should be fine. I am not sure exactly what the impact of not having the serrations would be or having too many or not enough - the systems probably still work as they are looking for differences between wheels, even no signal from all four shouldn't trigger anything, they are stil sending the same signal. Two things, still curious if the TRD rotors have the serrations and second, this may only apply to 2k1, can't guarantee that other years use the same setup.
Old 11-09-01, 11:10 AM
SUPRATRD

Pic of the rotors
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: ** TRD Pads and TRD Slotted Rotors, new lower price!! **