GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Black interior vs gray/tan interior

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-07, 03:22 PM
kwamdoo74
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black interior vs gray/tan interior

I am currently looking for a GS430 with black leather interior. I love the way they look as compared to the other colored interiors. I would like to know from you all what are the draw backs of having a black interior? What are the positives? I've noticed the black interior tend to show wear a lot more tha nthe gray or tan interior in my search for a GS430. Thanks for the feedback people.
Old 01-20-07, 03:36 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

floormats get dirty faster... or more noticeable. However, black is much nicer in many ways. Black is monotone with everything in the car (save for the headliner.) this makes a big difference in the appearance in the car. Not a big fan of the two-tone interiors. Especially in the colors offered in the 2GS.

However, black as you said can show more wear, and can get very hot in the summer.
Old 01-20-07, 08:37 PM
smuv gs3
Lead Lap

When I was shopping for my 2nd gen gs I wanted black cause to me it seems to look more upscale my first gen had tan and I hated it too much cleaning, well I couldnt find one with blk interior so my 2nd gen has tan interior but the color of the exterior is delicious Antique Bronze Mica I call my baby hot chocolate
Old 01-21-07, 05:50 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
floormats get dirty faster... or more noticeable. However, black is much nicer in many ways. Black is monotone with everything in the car (save for the headliner.) this makes a big difference in the appearance in the car. Not a big fan of the two-tone interiors. Especially in the colors offered in the 2GS.

However, black as you said can show more wear, and can get very hot in the summer.
My exact experiece and feelings with a black interior GS. The gray dashboards and other trim with the lighter color choices doesn't appeal to me.
The black carpet/floor mat does show every little grain of dirt and sand.
Old 01-21-07, 06:04 AM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

As GWELEX stated, the gray interior does seem less appealing. The one thing I don't like about black is that the cracks in the leather show more, the tan is nice as long as its maintained clean
Old 01-21-07, 09:40 AM
pardo
Pole Position

I do like black interior better..but black leather seat does not age as well.
Old 01-21-07, 03:34 PM
LexFather

I've had a white/black leather GS 400 and now black/Grey leather interior with the 430.
The black is easier to keep clean but does show more dirt/dust. The black interior gets HOT HOT HOT in the sun.

THe grey shows dirt less but a ***** to clean b/c you can't really clean one spot without realizing the whole seat needs cleaning. I also much prefer the grey interior of the 3GS, the 2GS grey is damn near beige to me. The one big plus with the grey it is more rare.

I say do black.
Old 01-21-07, 04:38 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have black leather and thing I hate is that you can see the smallest of crumbs in between where the stitching is at. I don't eat that much in my car but it's those times when you go get fast food and you start nibbling on some food on the way home and that's when the crumbs fall. I sometimes use a compressed air spray to get the crumbs that are get at. But overall I prefer black than the tan.
Old 01-21-07, 06:31 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive had a black GS with tan and now a silver GS with black. The tan seems more classy while the black is more sporty. I prefer the black, it does show more but dang when its clean........
Old 01-21-07, 06:54 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

After driving with the windows down for a bit, you can see dust collecting on the dashboard. But still, I love the black interior. It just looks executive
Old 01-21-07, 07:20 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Black interior was one of the "must-haves" in purchasing my GS. I agree with 400DGRZ -- I feel that black is a little sportier and tan is more luxurious. The black dash does tend to show dust particles, so you need to wipe it down a bit more often. Also, black does get hot in the sunlight, but you live in Maryland, so it's not as much of a problem, especially in the winter. As for the leather wearing more, I don't know about that. My mom had a white LS with beige leather, and the leather in that car wore very quickly. One other factor to consider is that you need to make sure that the interior color compliments the exterior color. As 1SICK said, in the 2GS, the light gray almost looks beige. I saw quite a few silver GS's with the light gray interior, and, in my opinion, the combination doesn't quite match. In the end, each color interior has its pluses and minuses, and I think you just need to go with the one you think looks better. Hope this helps.

e
Old 01-21-07, 07:39 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the tan on dark colors and the black is cool on the lighter exterior colors, but overall I like the luxury look of the tan more.

It does seem like black shows all the little creases in the leather.

I also don't like perforated seats like on the 03+ GS430s at all. It cheapens the look too me.
Old 01-21-07, 08:20 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Black does get hot in sunny florida, but window tint will cure that. I think all gs leather cracks a bit after time. Here is my black 98 gs 400 interior, with tint after 8 or so years.
Attached Thumbnails Black interior vs gray/tan interior-000_0062.jpg  
Old 01-21-07, 08:21 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

here is another
Attached Thumbnails Black interior vs gray/tan interior-000_0065.jpg  
Old 01-21-07, 08:23 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

at last ....one more