GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HELP!! Paint shop CANT match the paint!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-01, 02:17 PM
Dai Ca GQ
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CSH FLW... first off, you shouldn't have paid them before any work is done, most all the shops charge you after they are done.. unless if they required a deposit but that wouldn't reach up in the thousands... In your case, LTnT is a reputable shop to the honda/acura owners because of their custom work and "decent" prices...So most of their work done is on regular cars and some high end cars. They are well known because most of the import shops there refer their customers to them and thats about it. Plus, they dont charge in the thousands just to install and paint a full kit. I would assume that you were ripped off by them because think that you have lots of money to spend because you are young and driving a lexus GS... But like you said, you've paid for it so i guess you are stuck. That shop would never give your money back unless you take legal action, which is the last thing you would do in the shop's mind.
Also, are you sure that they've repainted it 3-4 times? Having to repaint a kit is very time consuming if it is done the right way. What i think they tried to do was tinting it and thats it. A 20K paint mixing system doesnt really mean anything. Its just some extra gadgets and digital stuff.. Nothing to be impressed about. Reputable shops would never let a newcomer paint cars. The new painters hired become the painters helper and would take a long time for them to be able to paint on their own. well, this is enough for me...but if you can ever get your money back, i would suggest you go to Precision Auto Body and Paint in Beaverton on Canyon Rd or TV Hwy... they do only high end cars like lexus, porsche, bmw, benz, and the likes.. they might be a little bit more but its quality.. GOOD LUCK!!
Old 11-11-01, 02:52 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

All body shops are out to make $$$$.....if they lose a guy with a body kit another will replace him with a guy who totaled his car and the insurance is paying them 10G's to fix it....

And I don't believe in a truely reptuable shop.....only ones that are more reputalbe thenothers....

Any ways I'm paying for the quality of work not the quality of the people....body work is about auto skills...yet to find one with people skills too, because the ones that have people skills quickly turn into scam artists because they learn to ger easy extra money out of insurance companies and in turn the customer.
Old 11-11-01, 03:09 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

ok....lets try this again.....I have had many many cars in the past that have had alot of custom work....I have gone to so many different body shops around here that its not even funny. I think its funny that you think a porsche shop would do a good job on a body kit! yea right....trust me tried that one....I had a kit put on my last car and the shop was recomended by BMW, Merc, etc....When I got there they had just finished doing a 550 and a 456 ferrari....anyways they painted the kit PERFECT, great job....but as soon as they tried to fit it and it didn't fit like a ferrari bumper, oh ****.....they had NO clue what to do??? Took them two weeks just to figureout how to put it one right....I asked them about doing some kind of rework on the kit (bondo, fiberglass,etc) and they just laughed....they don't "do" that....any ways, they got it to fit pretty good...I was happy. But when I went back for paint work issues...they told me to **** off because they should have charged me more for all the fitment problems, and this was with a very nice polyprothelen (spelling) kit (Wings West).

The Win Kit is all fiberglass, LTnT's specialty.....They refiberglassed and bonded around all the spots were it didn't line up 100%...doing aftermarket kits is a specialty, just because a shop does BMW's doesn't mean **** when it's comes to body kits......plus the Win bumper is bigger then the stock so the stock chrome stripe wont fit....they had to come up with something to work...looks perfect....I also had them shave in my clear sidemarkers into the kit...the Win Kit doesnt have side markers....plus they painted my engine cover.

And I worked the price out to $1300...which is fine...I dont care...only care about the final product

And the reason I paid was because they finished the car in two weeks and I paid left desided I didn't like the match and they spent the next two weeks trying to match it again....They do good work and did everything I told him to do with Zero arguements......never been to a shop that didn't try to fight with me about something.....
Old 11-11-01, 07:29 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's cool if they can bondo and do all the neat stuff to make it fit but hey they need to paint it right. If they can't then they're just a bodykit shop not a bodyshop. Maybe they've done thousands of show cars and stuff with the whole car repainted a new candy or cameleon color. but if they can't even match a factory color then there's something wrong.

so after another week or 2 of talking about this...... is your car ok now or are they still trying to repaint it?
Old 11-11-01, 08:04 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Cool

Just work a deal out with them to paint your whole car. That way you can have a custom color paint job. I would like to see a GS430 in Candy Red
Old 11-11-01, 09:43 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by GlobeCLK

so after another week or 2 of talking about this...... is your car ok now or are they still trying to repaint it?
Yea, got the car back yesturday! I'll take pics some time this week of the car....
Old 11-11-01, 10:21 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by CSHFLW

Yea, got the car back yesturday! I'll take pics some time this week of the car....
cool cool

can't wait.
Old 11-12-01, 01:31 AM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Ok, I dont' know why I'm even asking this cuz I'm sure you all have thought of it already. Maybe it's a dumb question but I will attempt anyways to help if I can...

Why dont' you GO TO LEXUS and get the EXACT paint. Why even TRY to "match" the paint. Go buy some paint from Lexus, have WHOEVER put it on, then WHAM, PERFECT MATCH!!

Am I missing something?? Why has no-one suggested this??

ALSO, I have noticed that NOT ALL MILLENIUM SILVERS are the same!! Mike (msray) has a 2000 Platinum Edition Millenium Silver GS400 (EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE) and I noticed that our paints DID NOT look EXACTLY ALIKE!! Who knows why?!?!? Just a little info tho!!

Hey, GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR KIT DUDE!! I like the WIN kit and can't wait to see some pics!!
Old 11-12-01, 11:52 AM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by LexDriver18

Why dont' you GO TO LEXUS and get the EXACT paint. Why even TRY to "match" the paint. Go buy some paint from Lexus, have WHOEVER put it on, then WHAM, PERFECT MATCH!!
I asked the shop this,,,,they said that Lexus doesn't make their own paint, and that they had to mix too....? I guess Lexus doesn't do body work. I dunneo, I ask, I tried....
Old 11-12-01, 12:04 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by CSHFLW

I asked the shop this,,,,they said that Lexus doesn't make their own paint, and that they had to mix too....? I guess Lexus doesn't do body work. I dunneo, I ask, I tried....
Lexus might not make their own paint but they sure have thousands of gallons in case people wants it. Of course they mix too, but not when someone ask them for paint. They have alot made out already.

.......... or maybe their mixers are better than the bodyshop?
Old 01-28-14, 09:59 AM
zanzzy
Driver School Candidate

Default Help paint shop can't match the paint

Sorry to hear this I have a 2003 IS200 sport with the 1C0 gold colour went to two different paint shops and they all got it wrong. There are two shades of the 1c0. 1C0. Platinum silver. And 1C0 Mellinium silver One is gold and the other silver. Am having mine reprinted now
Old 01-28-14, 10:53 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zanzzy
Sorry to hear this I have a 2003 IS200 sport with the 1C0 gold colour went to two different paint shops and they all got it wrong. There are two shades of the 1c0. 1C0. Platinum silver. And 1C0 Mellinium silver One is gold and the other silver. Am having mine reprinted now
Solid first post. 13 year old thread bump. I think that's a record.
Old 01-28-14, 11:43 AM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
Solid first post. 13 year old thread bump. I think that's a record.
Yeah... I'm pretty sure he one-upped the last guy by a solid 5 years IIRC
Old 01-28-14, 12:16 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

At least he was searching!
Old 01-28-14, 12:17 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
At least he was searching!
TRUTH. And he contributed a valid solution to the issue. If only this could be accomplished by more users, on current content.

Quick Reply: HELP!! Paint shop CANT match the paint!!