GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

NEW MEMBER: Q's about Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-06, 08:06 PM
leksusGS15
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW MEMBER: Q's about Modifications

I just bought my first lexus - 01 GS 300 with 64 k. I need to do some modifications, any advice would be appreciated

1)My car does not have HID's. I found the HID ballasts (DENSO/KOITO) D2R and with D2S bulbs on ebay, but do i need a projector or my headlight has it built in like the BMWs. let me know exactly what i need to buy for a complete HID OEM style swap and if i need to do retrofit...

I also read on intellexual.net that 4300k are brighter than the higher ones(6000K) which are bluer?

2) How would the lamin-x film look on my fog lamp. Do i need a yellow bulb as well?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails NEW MEMBER: Q's about Modifications-1271624_5.jpg  
Old 12-08-06, 08:43 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Man, thats a lotta questions lol.

The easiest and cheapest way is to buy an HID kit and just hook it up to your halogen housing. The next step up is to buy the OEM factory HID housings and you can use the D2R bulb with that. However, in my opinion retrofitting is the best option. I had an opportunity to drive around a GS with the factory HID's and the light output is **** poor compared to some of the newer projector setups. Either way, the price increases as you go up the chain of lighting output level. About $200-300 for the HID kit for you stock halogen housing, $500-700 or so for used factory OEM HID housings, $800+ to sky high values if you go all out on a custom retrofit job. The light output will scale accordingly to how much you spend It's the whole you get what you pay for concept.

As for the yellow film on the fogs....I've never had any experiene with those but I assume it should work. The more proper way for you to get yellow foglights it to buy a set of yellow foglight housings. It has a yellow glass piece in the actual foglight to generate the yellowish hue.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the forum!
Old 12-08-06, 09:47 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forums, im new as well! Came off two e36 BMW's.
Old 12-09-06, 06:59 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

I don't have any comments concerning your lighting questions, those are mods I haven't had to deal with. I do want to welcome you CL and look forward to the seeing the mods you do make.
Old 12-09-06, 07:17 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I would not recommend you to buy aftermarket HID kits. I've had way to many problems with those. I've installed 6 aftermarket kits in the past and all of them died in less than two weeks. So, if you want to do it right, buy an OEM ballasts by Denso/Koito. However, make sure they use D2S/D2R bulbs not D4S.

However, there is a problem. You cannot use D2S bulbs, the bulb simply wont fit your headlight. D2S/R bulbs were designed for HID headlights, which are equipped with projectors. You'll have to buy 9006 HID bulbs.

Solution:
You have two options. You can either do a retrofit, which requires more money, experience and time or you can do what I did. I bought 2 sets of Denso ballasts and 2 sets of aftermarket 9006/8000K HID bulbs. The reason I bought 2 is, I wanted to install HIDs in my fogs too. So, then I simply cut the connectors on both and connected bulbs wires directly to ballasts. Using lots of 3M electrical tape I made sure nothing would be exposed to water or metal. And that's it, your OEM ballasts become plug-n-play.
Old 12-09-06, 10:49 AM
noop
Instructor

Just like Jeff said, you can go with a HID kit,( check out xenondepot.com I think they are vendors here) and you will be all set. I have purchased 2 Philips kits from them and they were great, I used 1 for over 3 years with out a problem. Or you can go with a retro fit but it is costly just like the members said before. Mine was right around 1400 for s2000 projectors, a set of ballasts, a set of d2s bulbs, a new set of headlights, and labor.

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I would not recommend you to buy aftermarket HID kits. I've had way to many problems with those. I've installed 6 aftermarket kits in the past and all of them died in less than two weeks. So, if you want to do it right, buy an OEM ballasts by Denso/Koito. However, make sure they use D2S/D2R bulbs not D4S.

However, there is a problem. You cannot use D2S bulbs, the bulb simply wont fit your headlight. D2S/R bulbs were designed for HID headlights, which are equipped with projectors. You'll have to buy 9006 HID bulbs.

Solution:
You have two options. You can either do a retrofit, which requires more money, experience and time or you can do what I did. I bought 2 sets of Denso ballasts and 2 sets of aftermarket 9006/8000K HID bulbs. The reason I bought 2 is, I wanted to install HIDs in my fogs too. So, then I simply cut the connectors on both and connected bulbs wires directly to ballasts. Using lots of 3M electrical tape I made sure nothing would be exposed to water or metal. And that's it, your OEM ballasts become plug-n-play.
Sniip3r did you ever use a wiring harness with those kits that burned out? I have heard people have had problems with those cheap McCoulgh (sp?) kits, but I haven't heard any complaints from people who had the Philips kits. I am not sure which kit you used but did you ever use a wiring harness?

Also on your current set up, with your OEM ballasts, you can burn them out without using a harness from what I have read, because your sending too much current to the ballasts without a harness.
Old 12-09-06, 10:54 AM
noop
Instructor

oh and I forgot to mention, welcome to the forum.
Old 12-09-06, 11:38 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by noop
Sniip3r did you ever use a wiring harness with those kits that burned out? I have heard people have had problems with those cheap McCoulgh (sp?) kits, but I haven't heard any complaints from people who had the Philips kits. I am not sure which kit you used but did you ever use a wiring harness?

Also on your current set up, with your OEM ballasts, you can burn them out without using a harness from what I have read, because your sending too much current to the ballasts without a harness.

Most of those kits die, due to a heat problem, they simply over heat. Also the parts that they use to make these kits are too cheap and dont last long. Philips makes decent ballasts, but I'd still use OEM parts by Denso/Koito. All Toyota/Lexus cars are equipped with ballasts made by Denso. So, IMO its probably the best to stick with parts made specifically for your car.

Now about the HID wiring harness. I did not use one in my set up. You cannot burn your ballasts by not using the HID harness. But you can burn your stock harness, which could cost you up to $600 to fix. If you have an older car, which was not meant to have HIDs. Then you must use the HID harness, to protect your stock harness from melting. Unless, your stock harness can handle 80W during the warm up of your bulbs. The warm up could occur from 15 - 60 seconds. Depends on your set up. The bulb needs 80W to ignite, after that it drops to 35W.

Some people are being overprotective though. They install the harness when its not needed. I have 01 GS300, I know that 01 models already came with HIDs, but it was optional. Hence, the stock harness is capable of holding 80W.
Old 12-09-06, 04:10 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

welcome fellow canuck and 01 GS300 owner

feel free to check out canada's section on this forum too
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/canada-133/

my 01 GS300 has factory HID
its not very bright compared to some new projector ones out there
it all depends on how much work u want to do yourself to get HID
but it is much more preferable to go with retrofit because conversion kits from xenondepot.com for example do not have self leveling
blinding oncoming drivers is just wrong
Old 12-09-06, 04:23 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome leksusGS15