GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Would you sell your GS430 for a Caddy CTS-V(400 hp 6 speed)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-06, 08:56 AM
GSV8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
Man, a 400hp NA 6 speed sedan sure does sound tempting. Plus from what I've heard, there are many LS motor bolt on options so 12 and even 11 second quarter mile times are fairly easily obtainable. I love my car, but I'm craving something sportier with more hp...
If you are buying it new and will sell it after warranty is up, go for it!! Just remember it is a Caddy and will not hold it's value 3 years out. So be prepared when it is time to look for something else that you will be behind the curve in depreciation. Maybe by then there will be a supercharger available for the IS350.
Old 11-11-06, 09:48 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

IF Lexus/MB/BMW/Audi didn't exist in my book, I'll get the STS-V I can't stop staring at that car and I hardly see one around. I do see the cts-v more though.

Having said that, why don't you try a CL 500/55 chuck?
Old 11-11-06, 10:06 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

CtS-V over a Gs430.. CTS-V hands down imo. If you are a driving enthusiast and want performance out of the box without spending 10 of thousands to make a car that way, then this is your ride. Had the pleasure of driving this car, and ohh what fun it is. 6 speed, V8 rumble with the thunder, tight handeling, Vette performance. Just beware of the early versions with the last generation Vette zo6 motor. Some had differential problems. Other than that, a killer car. Who is keeping there car for 20 years anyway?? I buy cars to drive them. Get it!
Old 11-11-06, 11:31 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Consider the following facts:
-GS460 is about to come out with 380-400hp and a price probably similar if not less than the CTS-V with more features and better quality and reliability. Granted it's still not going to be as fast, but close enough to maybe overlook the difference.

-The CTS is less than a year away from a dramatic ground up redesign... the interior of the current one makes me very very sad but the new one, from the shots I've seen, is GREAT looking for an entry level luxury car.

-The all new CTS-V has very very strong indication that it will have the current Z06's 500hp LS7 V8 and some pretty serious hardware in terms of brakes, transmission, suspension, etc... it'll be a much stronger competitor among the M3, RS4, IS500, etc.

-And speaking of IS500 that might be one more thing for you to consider...
Old 11-11-06, 12:35 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This video will convince you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ2CPWyXr74
Old 11-11-06, 07:47 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ce=&cardist=89

I agree with you guys, the only thing I like more than my GS is the drivetrain....

maybe I'll have to just find something fast to beat on and keep the GS. maybe a 87-93 notch 5.0 stang. I want a V8, and mt. not really into the camaros, gto is still too much $ for a beater and looks like a 4 cylinder 1987 pontiac grand am.
any other suggestions?
Old 11-12-06, 06:22 AM
rjgraham
Driver

There rears are crap, 2 wheel hops and your done. IRS is not for drag racing. What is the point of a rear wheel drive car you can't do burnouts in. Check the CTS-V fourm for all the complaints and rear issues.
Old 11-12-06, 07:39 AM
IAGS400
Pole Position

maybe a 87-93 notch 5.0 stang. I want a V8, and mt.
The best year for the Mustang is the 1987, but Mustang's ride like crap. I prefer my 1990 Thunderbird SC. Rides a little stiffer than the GS, out handles it and can be quite a bit faster. Mine runs currently runs 14.3's and is near bone stock. That and you can pick them up cheap. But they are a V6 and you can't make them have a nice exhaust sound. The blower whine will make up for that.
Old 11-12-06, 10:31 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

maybe I'll have to just find something fast to beat on and keep the GS. maybe a 87-93 notch 5.0 stang.
Ah, the notch Stang. How much lighter was that car than the hatchback, Chuck? As I recall, it was at least a few hundred pounds, right?

Didn't you have an 80s 5.0 at one time?

As for the Caddy, I really don't think you'd be happy with the CTS. Sure, it might be fast, but I think the novelty would wear off quickly once the rattles and odd noises set in. I'd keep the GS and try to pick up something cheap to beat up on.
Old 11-12-06, 12:20 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

One of my good buddies has a CTS-V. The interior is decent, but not quite up to the standards of other cars in that price range. Also, the exterior panels and fenders are a lot weaker than on the GS(press the fender on the CTS and it will flex, the GS doesn't). His car is the one with the C5 Z06 motor and he's gone through about 3-4 rearends already. On top of that the car is only 2.5 years old. It's been in the shop about 30% of that time. Yeah it's quick, but he's doesn't want to push that thing all the way sometimes because he knows it will result in the car going back to the dealer for a month. Good thing that car is still under warranty, but its going to expire soon and that's also when he's going to get a different car. So in short, if you're going to get one make sure it has a WARRANTY!!! Other than that I love the motor in it though, you just can't deny the big V8's torque
Old 11-12-06, 12:26 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought about the CTS v for a bit too, the price and value of performance is tremendous. But in the end, its a GM. Plain and simple. The interior is prett crappy, plastic plastic and more plastic. I never plan on buying a GM or Ford for that matter. Japanese cars are just built better. I'd keep your Lexus.
Old 11-12-06, 04:15 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
Ah, the notch Stang. How much lighter was that car than the hatchback, Chuck? As I recall, it was at least a few hundred pounds, right?

Didn't you have an 80s 5.0 at one time?

As for the Caddy, I really don't think you'd be happy with the CTS. Sure, it might be fast, but I think the novelty would wear off quickly once the rattles and odd noises set in. I'd keep the GS and try to pick up something cheap to beat up on.
hey e, yeah I had an 85 5.0 notch 5 speed. they are a couple hundred lbs lighter and much better looking than the hatchbacks. I put a gt-40 crate motor, new trans and rear end(among many other things). It had about 300 rwhp and ran 12.80s in the quarter on motor.
Old 11-12-06, 05:33 PM
RacerLex
Pole Position

If you're willing to take a step backwards in reliability you might as well get your money's worth and do it right. Forget the Caddy - get the real deal M5!!! I'd start looking for a 2003 M5, maybe a Certified Pre-owned, and have some money left over for some sweet rims...

Old 11-12-06, 08:15 PM
PetesLS400
Lead Lap

I got to drive my friends CTS-V quite a lot when he owned it, yes its fun, and yes it handled quite well. But the wheel hop from the IRS was horrible. The interior is very funtional but very cheap for a $50K+ car. I also owned a '04 GTO with 390rwhp and the GTO handled and felt much like the V.

Some of you guys compare the V to a vette, yes they are both fast but they drive and handle NOTHING alike. I owned a C5 'vert for a few years and the V still has nothing on the Vette.

I'm looking around for a Z06 now but at the same time not sure how long I'll last in it since I have some lower back issues. I might hold out for a IS500 or who knows.
Old 11-12-06, 08:31 PM
DylanGS3
Driver School Candidate

Consider the t-total **** of Cadillac resale as well. Depreciation kicks Caddys in the *****.

Quick Reply: Would you sell your GS430 for a Caddy CTS-V(400 hp 6 speed)?