GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

WATER LEAK!!! The simpleton I bought my GS400 from had no idea

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-06, 04:33 PM
CRSO
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default WATER LEAK!!! The simpleton I bought my GS400 from had no idea

about anything in the car. He never even knew that it had a manual transmission option! He just drove it back and forth. I really never met anyone like him in my life. Fortunately for me, he never drove it hard.

Well, needless to say, today is the first day I had it when it rained and I'm a little wet. There is water dripping in from the 2 front pillars and there was some coming in from the garage door opener area.

I suspect that they maybe had the windshield replaced? The sunroof is sealed shut, I know it's no that.

Anybody else have these little leaks?

I contacted him but didn't hear back yet...
Old 09-15-06, 05:02 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

take it to a toyota dealer and have them look it up. their shop rates are lower and they have access to almost everything a lexus dealer can get.

also - get to know your service manager.
Old 09-15-06, 06:27 PM
CRSO
Driver

Originally Posted by cliffud
take it to a toyota dealer and have them look it up. their shop rates are lower and they have access to almost everything a lexus dealer can get.

also - get to know your service manager.
Cool... I figured they were lower.

I'm a DIY to the max given I used to rebuild trannys/motors/etc and am ASE certified (back in 93) but the Lex is new to me.

I thought it may be a windshield replacement but it's not. Now I'm looking into the seal on the moonroof.
Old 09-16-06, 10:37 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

I put in "leaking" in the advanced search and came up with some threads.
Maybe you can play around with some words like cabin.....to refine the search even more.
I don't have any leakings into the car so I'm not familiar with the situation:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...9&pp=25&page=2
Old 09-16-06, 10:40 AM
HoracioGS4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leakage in the cabin is rare in a gs....good luck though.
Old 09-16-06, 11:56 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe the sunroof drains are clogged.
Old 09-16-06, 12:19 PM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Exclamation

Originally Posted by CRSO
The sunroof is sealed shut, I know it's not that.
Not always. The sunroof seal still lets water through, it mostly seals out windnoise, hence the sunroof drains. Two in the front, one on each "A" pillar, and two in the rear, the "C"-"D" pillars. Thee drains can become clogged at the top OR the bottom. You may be able to see the drain openings at the tops in the corners of the sunroof. Usually if you have access to a blow gun or a fine stream of water you can spray into them to clear them.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

-Bill
Old 09-17-06, 09:46 PM
CRSO
Driver

Originally Posted by wdpower
Not always. The sunroof seal still lets water through, it mostly seals out windnoise, hence the sunroof drains. Two in the front, one on each "A" pillar, and two in the rear, the "C"-"D" pillars. Thee drains can become clogged at the top OR the bottom. You may be able to see the drain openings at the tops in the corners of the sunroof. Usually if you have access to a blow gun or a fine stream of water you can spray into them to clear them.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

-Bill
Sorry, I meant the actual rubber around the glass (in good shape).

I have a compresser and blew some air through the front two drain holes so hopefully that will work. I didn't really find any other drain holes but the two I'm concerned about are the two on each front side. That's where the water seems to be. It's not dripping wet but I get about a tablespoon or so every time it rains.

Would I have to take out the headliner to unclog them if the air doesn't do the trick? I really think it's the sunroof drains.
Old 09-18-06, 11:10 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

You should not have to remove the head liner. The tubes connect to the sun roof tracks, usually debris builds up at the top opening. I would try pooring a little water into the track under the small wind deflector to test it.

-Bill
Old 09-20-06, 12:15 PM
EFMJR
Lead Lap

If I remeber right the tubes run down the front pillars. I poped my pillar cover off one day trying to figure out where the wire that was hanging out from the headliner when I got the car, (still dont know where that damn wire goes) and I swear I seen the tube running there. Also if you think your sunroof seal is leaking, i know it may seem taky, but tape up the sunroof with the 3m green tape so you know no water will enter, and go at it with a water hose. If it still leaks, you know its not the sunroof. The green tape sticks great but will not leave stiky goo or damage the paint. Its awesome stuff.
Old 09-20-06, 12:46 PM
mydakrri
Driver

The moon roof/sunroof seal on all vehicles are made to leak. That’s why you have the drains. The seal is for wind noise and to control the amount of water coming in. You need to get all the 4-tubes clear. If the rear/front tubes are clogged they can't dissipate the water fast enough and it'll leak somewhere. Just blow them out and dump some water in the track with the roof open. You'll see it drain onto the pavement.

I had a LS 400 and the tubes were clogged. The water settled above the windsheild and rusted through the metal roof. Opps $700.00 rust repair.

dakrri
Old 10-12-06, 01:12 PM
CRSO
Driver

Ok, so I used compressed air to blow out the drain for the moonroof.

It rained for the first time yesterday (badly) and the leak is worse (or really showed because of the excessive rain).

The entire left pillar had water running down it and it was dripping pretty bad. It wasn't pouring but it was a onstant drip.

One thing I noticed is that it was really bad upon accelerating after stopping...

Any ideas? Should I take off the pillars and / or headliner?

Thanks
Old 11-15-16, 08:10 PM
2k4CamkilA
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CRSO
Ok, so I used compressed air to blow out the drain for the moonroof.

It rained for the first time yesterday (badly) and the leak is worse (or really showed because of the excessive rain).

The entire left pillar had water running down it and it was dripping pretty bad. It wasn't pouring but it was a onstant drip.

One thing I noticed is that it was really bad upon accelerating after stopping...

Any ideas? Should I take off the pillars and / or headliner?

Thanks
i experienced this today. i cant open my sunroof by the way so can anyone tell me what my options are?
Old 11-16-16, 07:14 PM
burteboy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The pillar post most likely is telling you the sun roof drains are blocked. Open the sun roof look at the front under the deflector there are two holes one on each side. Get a thin flexible wire like and push it through the holes. Do not apply air pressure. Check it by pouring water to check it out.
Old 09-03-18, 06:36 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k4CamkilA
i experienced this today. i cant open my sunroof by the way so can anyone tell me what my options are?
I have the same problem, can’t clear the sunroof drains cause sunroof doesn’t open. Did you get anywhere with this?

Quick Reply: WATER LEAK!!! The simpleton I bought my GS400 from had no idea