GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Minimal modding has begun!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-06, 09:39 PM
Joe C
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minimal modding has begun!

Well, it took me about a month to gather up the guts to start buying a few parts, but I decided why the hell not

Starting with the Meguiars PLAST-X. My headlights and fogs are a bit cloudy, so I figure this is a great start. Reason why I want to get that done is because I ordered the lamin-x front end lighting kit.

Comes with: headlight and fog light covers:

The headlights will be a blue-color film and the fog lights will be a yellow.

I also purchased a blitz AC filter

I've heard changing that filter will make a pretty big difference in the air quality.
Next up:

I was told that one of the reasons why my CEL is on is due to my gas cap, so I figured I'd be corny and get this one

Als,o TM Spark Plugs

TRD Oil Cap

TRD Radiator Cap

Small things to start making this my own. Next up will be an SRT intake, just for a bit more performance. Anyways, That's all for now, but I'm pretty excited that my car will no longer be bone stock
Old 09-10-06, 09:50 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

colored plastic for the headlights, oil caps & fuel caps wouldnt really be my FIRST choice for modding a lexus gs.... but to each his own i guess... if it were up to me and i could control your money, and force it back into your pocket for now until it grew to have enough purchasing power to hop back out and buy you a nice set of rims and either some springs/shocks or some coilovers to lower the poor thing, that'd be my choice... those plastic/laminate covers are only going to make your front end look horribly cheap (blue headlights?!) and the fuel and oil cap?..... guess thats all you buddy-maybe the gas cap will fix your cel, everybody likes to spend their cash in their own way, but with the amount of different mod options readily available, i guess i just dont agree with your first few! oh yeah i almost forgot...welcome to CL!
Old 09-10-06, 10:11 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
colored plastic for the headlights, oil caps & fuel caps wouldnt really be my FIRST choice for modding a lexus gs.... but to each his own i guess... if it were up to me and i could control your money, and force it back into your pocket for now until it grew to have enough purchasing power to hop back out and buy you a nice set of rims and either some springs/shocks or some coilovers to lower the poor thing, that'd be my choice... those plastic/laminate covers are only going to make your front end look horribly cheap (blue headlights?!) and the fuel and oil cap?..... guess thats all you buddy-maybe the gas cap will fix your cel, everybody likes to spend their cash in their own way, but with the amount of different mod options readily available, i guess i just dont agree with your first few! oh yeah i almost forgot...welcome to CL!
DANG MAN WHAT A WELCOME its your car mod it the way you want to !! its ok to start small in the modding game until you get bitten by the modding bug then look out !!welcome to cl and feel free to ask any questions you want there is somebody always here to help
Old 09-10-06, 10:12 PM
Joe C
Lexus Test Driver

To each their own is exactly how I figure it. I have spent thousands of dollars on motor modifications on my old car (Custom exhaust, nitrous, easily 5-10 hours of dyno tuning) and I'm not trying to do that again unless I'm doing a full 2jzgte with a t88 single turbo setup. I live on a campus where the car gets door dings, drive 160+ highway miles to get home at least once a week so I'm not as concerned about the big things such as wheels or coilovers. I'm just trying to put a small things into the car first because I'm not even positive how long I will keep it. I may end up selling it and just keeping my jeep and buying a bike.

If I wanted to go fast I would've kept my other car. I'm just having a little fun with this one for now. The products from lamin-x will also keep the lights from getting road chips. Had I purchased the car earlier I would've gone with a full clear-bra on the front end, but the paint is already chipped up so I have no intention on worrying about it - This is a daily driver.

I hope that didn't come off as rude, I just figure I need to explain myself a bit before I get flamed for not wanting a VIP style car or a 12 second lexus. I like it for what it is - a 15.9@85 4 door that gets me from point A to B... for now.
Old 09-10-06, 10:43 PM
Lyrical
Lead Lap

Nice on the mods....The GS is a great daily driver car...Gets you from point A to B in style though haha...

Good luck with the mods! I tried to keep mine stock...Didn't work out too well, and i blame this forum lol
Old 09-10-06, 11:58 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

i appreciate your comments, but if youre on your tiff about how the paint is already chipped up because its a daily driver-why do you care about "headlight chips"? if you want blue headlights just say so and stand your ground about it buddy lol- DO YOU.. i think youre the first guy on this forum ive heard about putting blue stretchy plastic over his headlights is all....christ, i wasnt trying to talk **** or make fun of you, im just saying, why even bother wasting the money on this type of stuff if your budget conscious this stuff is simply a waste of cash .
Old 09-11-06, 06:20 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this stuff is simply a waste of cash .
In your opinion. Let it go. Everyone get back to work.
Old 09-11-06, 06:29 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Yes your mods are minimal as you posted and they are a start. I must admit the headlight film is something I would pass on but each to his own. Good Luck in your quest for future mods.
Old 09-11-06, 07:22 AM
Joe C
Lexus Test Driver

i appreciate your comments, but if youre on your tiff about how the paint is already chipped up because its a daily driver-why do you care about "headlight chips"? if you want blue headlights just say so and stand your ground about it buddy lol- DO YOU.. i think youre the first guy on this forum ive heard about putting blue stretchy plastic over his headlights is all....christ, i wasnt trying to talk **** or make fun of you, im just saying, why even bother wasting the money on this type of stuff if your budget conscious this stuff is simply a waste of cash .
I'm curious to see how it comes out. I wouldn't consider myself budget conscious, I'm just not in the mood to be spending thousands of dollars at the current moment. Headlights, contrary to paint, are something you need for daily driving as a safety precaution. I figure if the cover works to keep the headlights functioning well and happens to look asthetically pleasing I will keep them. However, if I find that light output is lower or they just don't look great at all I will be taking them off.

I appreciate your input, and I don't think spending $40+/- is wasting that much cash. I'd rather try simple solutions such as the plastx and the lamin-x film before going to buy new housings.
Old 09-11-06, 07:29 AM
AW99GS400
Pole Position

Welcome to the family small mods at beginning always ends up with BIG BANG at the end

Adrian
Old 09-11-06, 08:18 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joe C
I'm curious to see how it comes out. I wouldn't consider myself budget conscious, I'm just not in the mood to be spending thousands of dollars at the current moment. Headlights, contrary to paint, are something you need for daily driving as a safety precaution. I figure if the cover works to keep the headlights functioning well and happens to look asthetically pleasing I will keep them. However, if I find that light output is lower or they just don't look great at all I will be taking them off.

I appreciate your input, and I don't think spending $40+/- is wasting that much cash. I'd rather try simple solutions such as the plastx and the lamin-x film before going to buy new housings.

you have a good point there about the film effecting light output...it more than likely will man...do you have stock HID? if you dont and youre set on messing with that housing film you might atleast want to pick up a set of sylvania silverstarts (check them out http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...ce/Silverstar/ - much better light output then stock (IMO) and they are pretty decent bang for the buck. the lowbeams are 9006 and highbeams are 9005 - if youre looking for the brightest/whitest ones they make pick up the 9006SU set or the 9005SU...ive had the silverstars before i got HID and ive since seen the silverstar ultras and they are improved over the ones i had.

Last edited by upstateGS4; 09-11-06 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-11-06, 08:27 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

congrats on the gs. mod it however you want, it's yours. the plastix works well on the outside of lights. if it were me, for minimal mods, I'd suggest obx clear sides and 01+ tails, maybe even an 01+ grill. also, instead of film on headlights how about silverstar bulbs? the yellow film on fogs should look ok,but you could also get used oem yellow fogs for not too much.

edit: I just got done typing and noticed upstate recommended silverstars too, hahaha.

Last edited by chuckb; 09-11-06 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-11-06, 08:40 AM
Krupski2
Driver

Welcome. I haven't had the money until recently to do much of anything. Now that I do, it is in small moves. Good luck with the mods.
Old 09-11-06, 10:09 AM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

..... but if youre on your tiff about how the paint is already chipped up because its a daily driver-why do you care about "headlight chips"? ....
price of Lamin-X < price of Lexus headlight housing.

Here in VA I need the lenses to pass yearly safety inspection. So Lamin-X is cost-effective for me (though I would get clear since blue light performs worse in rain/snow conditions)

FYI http://www.motorcycleproject.com/mot...cows-blue.html

Last edited by BossGS4; 09-11-06 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-11-06, 10:15 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BossSC300
price of Lamin-X < price of Lexus headlight housing.

Here in VA I need the lenses to pass yearly safety inspection. So Lamin-X is cost-effective for me (though I would get clear since blue light performs worse in rain/snow conditions)

but whats the damage you guys are actually talking about... how many sets of headlights have you already had to replace because they were so badly destroyed by pebble chips that they could not pass inspection? ive had a bunch of cars and have driven hundreds of thousands of miles and not once was i ever in a situation where my headlights needed to be replaced or were so badly damaged by daily driving...and anything that could potentially cause enough damage to the headlight to warrant replacement certainly isnt going to be stopped by a thin film of whats basically vinyl stretched over it... maybe im wrong, im under the impression that these are not headlight COVERS but headlight FILM, similar to a sticker if you will.

Quick Reply: Minimal modding has begun!