GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DIY climate control LED

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-08, 05:45 AM
samster
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by d3fc0N_21
I was thinking of using lacquer thinner or nail polish remover on the shifter plate but I wasn't sure whats underneath the paint. I used nail polish remover to remove the amber paint on the gauge needles of my Celica to clear it out.

I totally agree, I hate that clock. On my Celica what I did was purchase blue film that they use for spot lights at a theater staging store and laid it over the clock. It did turn it to blue but it was very dim during the day.

I'm a white person too which eventually after the prototyping stages it will be white. Still contemplating though since the head unit is mostly blue I may just keep the LCD blue but it may be too much if I make the climate control screen blue also.

Go ahead and PM me how you cleared the shift plate and we'll see if I get the guts to experiment with it. I'll let you know if he can do anything about that hideous clock. I'm sooo tempted to just unplug the power to it
you've got it, nail polish remover! but it's just as strong as thinner if you leave it in to long make sure u take ur time! tape up the grey area and work it out with the nail polish remover i like your climate control very much i think it matches your pioneer very good the blue and white display screen. the invert is something i've never seen before on the lex. it makes your one in a billion i say leave it, just gotta figgure that line out
Old 04-12-08, 06:14 AM
d3fc0N_21
Driver

Originally Posted by samster
you've got it, nail polish remover! but it's just as strong as thinner if you leave it in to long make sure u take ur time! tape up the grey area and work it out with the nail polish remover i like your climate control very much i think it matches your pioneer very good the blue and white display screen. the invert is something i've never seen before on the lex. it makes your one in a billion i say leave it, just gotta figgure that line out
Did you do it to all the indicators of the shift plate or just the orange and green?

That line in the middle won't be there for the final product. It's just there so he can show a side by side comparison for people so they can decide how they would like the LCD screen to be. Before doing the 2 different halves on the LCD screen, he did a blue LED that started on the left of the screen, that transitioned to a white LED in the middle, and then back to blue to the right of the screen. I wish I took a picture of it because I thought it was really cool. Maybe the next time I see him I'll ask him to do it real quick for a picture.
Old 04-12-08, 08:36 AM
samster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by d3fc0N_21
Did you do it to all the indicators of the shift plate or just the orange and green?

That line in the middle won't be there for the final product. It's just there so he can show a side by side comparison for people so they can decide how they would like the LCD screen to be. Before doing the 2 different halves on the LCD screen, he did a blue LED that started on the left of the screen, that transitioned to a white LED in the middle, and then back to blue to the right of the screen. I wish I took a picture of it because I thought it was really cool. Maybe the next time I see him I'll ask him to do it real quick for a picture.
i'd did every indicator on the shift plate, if you removed the shift plate you'd see its clear on the underside, i thought the clear would give it more of a glow effect over the white.
Old 03-12-12, 08:44 PM
wald.sc400
BANNED for ripping off other members

i wish there was a step by step DIY guide for this...
Old 03-12-12, 09:04 PM
AMGWNAB
Rookie

Wow that is bright!!!

-Will
Old 03-12-12, 09:29 PM
DubbStep
Pole Position

Nice Work!!!!, I will be in Queens Friday, I'd love some pointers "samster"
Old 09-14-12, 01:55 AM
jorhelj
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has anyone ever changed the color on the clock??? I would love it in blue
Old 09-14-12, 06:13 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

guys what about our other cars with the gps nav unit, anyone do a DIY for those yet?
Old 09-18-12, 02:20 PM
jorhelj
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If Anyone is intrested in switching out the lights in there switches and panels to LED's there is an easier way than drilling Holes and sudering LED the Bulbs are called Neo Wedge and they are T3 or T4 available on ebay I took my awhile to find out what there were called and what number they are also 94 Wedge type LED bulbs for key ring, lighter glove box and under dash lights good Luck
Old 09-18-12, 02:36 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by jorhelj
If Anyone is intrested in switching out the lights in there switches and panels to LED's there is an easier way than drilling Holes and soldering LED the Bulbs are called Neo Wedge and they are T3 or T4 available on ebay I took my awhile to find out what there were called and what number they are also 94 Wedge type LED bulbs for key ring, lighter glove box and under dash lights good Luck
fixed....

do u have a nav or non nav model? i know on the nav models we do use neo wedge bulbs but i thought everyone always said the non nav are soldered in
Old 10-11-12, 02:06 PM
Phamboogie
Lead Lap

Assuming my fuses are fine, would it be safe to say there is a bad ground somewhere when the lights for the climate control, shifter, cigarette lighter, and aftermarket headunit don't turn on at all? The 12v thing in my center console tray works though. '99 2GS
Old 10-11-12, 02:50 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

now that i have the climate control unit separate from my OEM NAV, can anyone do this for me?
Old 10-15-12, 04:34 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Tanin Auto can take care of all your LED desires. Shoot me a PM.
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 12-29-12, 05:27 PM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

im diggin the intuition that went into making this happen. where there's a will, theres a way
Old 12-30-12, 08:35 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

www.taninautoelectronix.com

Last edited by TaninAuto; 03-10-14 at 06:34 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY climate control LED