GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

One Month After Replacing Starter....My Battery Dies

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-06, 11:20 AM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default One Month After Replacing Starter....My Battery Dies

Hello,
I just replaced my starter on my 1999 GS4. It was definitely bad, since the solenoid contacts clicked periodically, and was getting worse and worse. I was quoted a price of nearly 1000 bucks to change it out at the dealership, and I decided to do it myself.

Armed with a starter from Carson Toyota, the required intake gaskets and coolant, and the confidence that I could do it, I finished the job in 4 1/2 hours. The job was straightforward.

Even from the very start I could tell that the starter performance was less than optimal, although it started everytime. It just seemed a tad slower than the original, and I blamed the rebuilt starter. I expected blistering speed like it was ages ago, but It was still not bad enough to warrant changing it back out again. I vowed to keep an eye and ear peeled on this new starter. I never thought about the battery.

I went on a 4900 mile trip from San Diego to New Orleans, surrounding areas and back with no problems. The temperatures were in the 90's and 100's for the entire 3 weeks, and the car started everytime. The trip to and from San Diego was done non-stop in about 26 hours each way with A/C and headlights, stereo, etc. Every now and then the starter would turn slower than normal and I just dismissed it as the starter. I arrived back in San Diego last Sunday morning.

Finally last night the battery gave up the ghost all at once. I was at an Autozone store getting a part for another of my cars, and when I went to drive home, the starter really turned slow. Like an idiot, I stopped it and tried again, cursing the starter all along.

When I heard the Click, click, click of a dying battery, it hit me like a bolt of lightning. I suddenly felt very dumb. It was after 9 at night, and everything but Autozone was closed. I suddenly realized just how much strain the alternator had been under trying to keep the battery charged AND provide the juice I needed for the trip. I realized that I could have been stranded anywhere along my trip, but I was extremely fortunate. I didn't want to strain the system any further, plus I had no confidence that I could get to work this morning on the old battery.

I wound up getting the most expensive battery Autozone had for the GS. the 26DCL GOLD for $69.95. It has 800 cold cranking amps, and a 8 year warranty with 3 years free replacement. It fit right in. I also discovered something else when I removed the old battery.....This old 525 cold cranking amp Lexus battery was the ORIGINAL from December 1998, when the car was built. It had an 84 month warranty, and I can truly say that it gave all it had for 91 months.

I'm pretty sure I won't get 91 months from this Autozone battery, and I kinda wonder if I should go back to Lexus and get another factory battery? The car now starts even better than it did when I bought it pre-owned back in June 2004, due to the new starter and the hotter newer battery.

I did not see any of the traits normally associated with a dying battery....slower turn signals, or headlights that dim in drive at slow speeds and brighten at faster engine speeds, so I did not associate my slow starter speed with a bad battery. The water level was full, and there was no leaking acid present on the caps, terminals or the battery box.

I had everything checked before leaving for the trip, and the charging system passed. But the combination of battery age and constant operation, combined with blistering summer heat finally did it in. I normally change my batteries when they are borderline before they give me trouble but I missed this one completely. I've never been stranded before, and I will chalk this one up to experience.

I think I'll see how far this Autozone battery will take me before changing it to something fancier..
Has anyone else gotten more than 5 or 6 years out of the original battery? Threads on this forum suggest otherwise. Has anyone else purchased the Autozone battery?

Comments?

Last edited by gserep1; 07-13-06 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-13-06, 07:47 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a couple of comments. My '01 had a replacement battery in it when I bought last July, in one month that battery was worthless. It appeared to be a no name brand, possibly a reconditioned battery that is usually guarenteed for only a year. Bought a quality battery and haven't had any problems since and that includea 6 moths of Alaskan winter. Batteries can fickle sometimes, here in Alaska I've had 2 year batteries that lasted for 4 years and 84 month batteries that barely made it 2 years.
Old 07-14-06, 11:48 AM
RocketSlug
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Replaced stock battery in my 01 gs430 last winter. . .starting got slower and slower as the temperature dipped. Finally, around 20F it could not be saved. Battery charger kept turning off, so I thought the battery or charger was defective. . .nope, battery was at 12 - 12.6 volts, but CCA was rated at only 125 (shown by AAA's neato portable battery analyzer.) I had to get a battery close to home and work, so I went to NTB. Got the best battery (NASCAR, yee-HAW!) they sold for +/- $100. No more power dips or starting problems. Starts quickly and maybe even better than new.

Other people got the stock battery to last 60-90 months. . .I only got about 50, but I would often run it low (or deplete it) listening to the stereo or announcer at the drag strip, or in the winter with headlights, defrost and heated seats on, etc.

The moral of my story: Its never bad to spend money on a good battery.
Old 07-14-06, 12:42 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't believe your battery lasted almost 7 yrs! my stock battery lasted almost 4 yrs which is long for a FL battery. it died about a week before my bumper to bumper warranty ran out and I got a new oem(interstate) for free.
Old 07-14-06, 07:06 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah,
It was strange it lasted so long, but I needed to change it before I did. I could have ruined my alternator, and thatis much more expensive than a battery. Anyway, things are all fine for now. If I have ANY trouble with this AUTOZONE battery, OUT it goes, and I will get an Interstate or something like that. So far so good!
Old 08-04-06, 09:29 AM
amlin423
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little off topic but it'll help anyone who searches this thread in the future.
Gserep1, my starter just went out too and I'd like to replace it myself. Looking at the manual, I'm trying to find out what parts I need to purchase for this project. I have a couple of thing on the list. Could you see if this sounds right or if I need (dont need) anything on this list.

-Starter (prob going with a DENSON remanufactured one online)
-throttle body gasket
-upper intake manifold gasket (i can't tell from the pictures...looks like two gaskets are needed..but they're sandwiched between the lower and upper intake manifolds...is there a difference between upper and lower intake manifold gaskets?)
-rear water bypass joint gasket

Is there anything else that should be replaced while the manifold and starter is out already?
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance