GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: How is you GS modded?
VIP/Show
38.32%
Street/Strip
19.63%
Some of both
47.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

VIP / Show vs Street / Performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-06, 03:34 PM
BlackoutGS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIP / Show vs Street / Performance

whats up guys,
I was just curious to know what kinds of set ups you guys have been tuning your second gen GS to?
VIP Style or Street???
Have you put on a body kit, rims, system, new paint, bags, and went for the show stopper look? Or have you strapped on some form of forced induction, exhaust, or even a motor swap and built a reputable street car?

if you could go back and do it over, would you mod anything different or go another route?
Old 07-10-06, 03:44 PM
fbapacible
Pole Position

Thumbs up Street.

Im building my GS Street Style. Im more performance oriented that style. If it doesnt make my car perform better, brake harder, or turn faster , Im not putting it on my car. VIP is nice too, It's just not my thing.
Old 07-10-06, 03:47 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

I modified your poll to add a SOB option. Many GSs on this site have a little bit of everything and the owner picks and chooses what they find fits their needs. There are several of them that are 'show' that are not VIP. Some of those show cars also have a little go
Old 07-10-06, 03:56 PM
BlackoutGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I modified your poll to add a SOB option. Many GSs on this site have a little bit of everything and the owner picks and chooses what they find fits their needs. There are several of them that are 'show' that are not VIP. Some of those show cars also have a little go

thanks dave. it does appear that I left that detail out
Old 07-10-06, 04:00 PM
Revhard191
Lead Lap

Well, lets see....

I started out just modestly modding and have found that I am in the VIP direction. 20" rims, Air Runners, Body kit (Coming soon.), Tom's braces, TRD strut bar, SRT Intake, J.I.C. Cat back exhaust...

I guess I would fall into a mixture of both really, but I guess I would be leaning to the VIP Style. I have a Kart and a race car so that takes care of my speed, this way I am not racing on the street but in a closed course that is somewhat safety oriented.

I hope that all made sense.

Cheers,

Revhard191
Old 07-10-06, 04:41 PM
tonysofly
Pole Position

i like the vip before the street for the gs....but if we were talking about a civic or somethin, then i would choose street.
Old 07-10-06, 05:15 PM
tommyGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VIP status for me,,,nic and clean
Old 07-10-06, 06:48 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

It's the "all show" or "all go" classic debate.

I am happy with the power and performance of my GS4. It is not the fastest or best performing sedan in the world and I doubt it can be, but atleast you can make it look good. If I was looking for the best performance I can get for my money, the GS will be far down my list.
Old 07-10-06, 07:14 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

VIP style means you don't have any go??? These Aristos are TT in Japan aren't they??
Old 07-10-06, 07:36 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

I've gone with a little style and little speed.
Old 07-10-06, 08:14 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

i'm not tryin' to be the fastest.. (yet) haha.. but i like how the cosmetics are comin' along.. just make your car the way you want it to be you'll be the happiest then.. good luck!

-david
Old 07-10-06, 08:52 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well My aim is going towards the VIP now I just repurchased another set of 19s too many ssure that it stays in that direction ..

I love these cars for the Looks and power ! and i aimt o meet my need to the VIP side soon

Keep yea posted !
Old 07-11-06, 12:44 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm willing to bet that I approached modding like others. I had NO IDEA what direction I wanted to take my car, I just wanted to do something!

But it was all the wrong way!!

First I had an eibach/bilstein suspension setup which is MORE sporty than the Tein CS I have now. That's fine but I also had TRD 18" chrome rims. So - sporty suspension - bling bling rims... not a solid move towards sport or VIP.

So I changed the suspension to the Tein CS with the daizen sways. Now it was a VIP direction ride but I sold my chrome rims and went back to stockers for a bit. So - soft suspension - race style sways - stock rims... again - not a solid move towards sport or VIP.

Now I am putting on my Work Termist rims this week and since they're 18"s, I consider them more sporty than VIP. But - I still have my Tein CS suspension (more VIP-ish) and sways (more sporty) and now I have the l-tuned exhuast (no idea which direction this one takes me) so now I have NO IDEA which direction my entire car is going!!

Street or VIP??

Help guys, you tell me!
Old 07-11-06, 08:19 AM
manila_boy
Lead Lap

VIP guy here, hmmm lets see...

-chrome t-bar/handles/grille
-MAYA wheels
-WALD exec. kit
-OEM window visors
-etc. etc.

not worried bout' much on speed (it's a V8 am satisfied with that) i've got my MR2t to play around and all for all other other stuff see my sig.

Last edited by manila_boy; 07-11-06 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-11-06, 08:56 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine is somewhere in the middle. I bought the V8 because I didn't want to get "into" the engine of this car (I figured the V8 already jad enough 'shove')... plus I love the sound and the torque. Like manila_boy, I have other toys if I want to go fast. The old UZ still gets out of it's own way just fine...

Style-wise, I don't like to emulate other styles; I sort of go my own way. My GS is now slightly VIP (JP spoiler, LED tails, Explosion kit, slammed), slightly sporty (carbon fiber details, big brakes and quad-exhaust), slightly concept car (three tone paint, custom metalworking)....

Cars are a passion for me - why would I build a car that looks like any other? The Japanese VIP cars are cool, but I have zero desire to 100% duplicate any particular one.

Quick Reply: VIP / Show vs Street / Performance