GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

water in floor drivers side

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-06, 03:39 PM
RIPP7399
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question water in floor drivers side

i did a search and found a thread discussing water on passenger side of GS300 but not drivers side, water is under floor mat on drivers side ONLY...

anybody?????
Old 07-05-06, 04:27 PM
kkeppler
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

That happened to me, it ended up being the evaporator core. Took it to lexus and they charged me 1000 to take out the dash and silicone the unit. It is behind the whole dash and right near the center console. If you do take it to the dealership, be prepared for alot of diagnostic time - the dumb senior technician kept telling me that it was a leak in the windshield -- I insisted it was a cracked evaporator core, and he would not listen until the dash was all apart. It is well worth getting fixed though. By the way, if they give you the option of putting silicone or a new gasket vs buying a new unit DO IT, becasue that little bastard AC unit can cost big bucks. I think a new one was like 2 grand.
Old 07-06-06, 05:47 AM
mostrogt
Pole Position

I'm suffering the same problem. I've looked around the club and it could be several causes based on the feedback I found. Some say the "core", windshield leaks, underside loose plug holes. Well, I tried doing a test, I let the damn thing dry out first (with a little help of a fan running all night) then did the following:

Drove around in good weather with no AC. Result: Dry floor still

Drove around in good weather with AC on. Results: some moisture (hard to tell)

Drove in the rain with no AC. Results: The damn thing flooded again

Next test: Dry the floor and then just dump lots of water over the car to see if it leaks thru where it can create some wetness.

For now my theory is that I have a leak somewhere and its making its way down to the floor.

I'll keep you posted.

Mostrogt
Old 07-06-06, 04:21 PM
kkeppler
Driver School Candidate

I took my car to three A/C shops and had each blow through the water lines -- each said they were already clear.

All in all, it took a long road trip to get the water coming through. It typically wouldn't happen on a normal day - take a 2 or 3 hour road trip with the AC blasting on a normal day and see what happens.
Old 07-07-06, 05:29 AM
mostrogt
Pole Position

Confirmed....its the AC. This morning was clear with no rain on the road. I left the floor drying overnight with a small fan. My commute is about 40 minutes. I drove with the AC blasting and surely when I arrived to work and checked it was soaked again!

Good news for me.....I stiil have 3 years left on my CPO warranty which is 5 years/100K total miles. My ODO is now at 66K. Checcking the CPO Warranty documentation the section on Air Conditioning the Heater Core is covered.

I will be calling my Lexus dealer today to explain and setup an appointment.

I'm looking forward to getting this fixed without gushing out the big bucks.

I'll keep you all posted on how it goes.
Old 07-07-06, 06:15 AM
RIPP7399
Driver

Default not so lucky....

my car is a 99 with 170k on it

this is not sounding to good so far....... looks like the new coilovers i wanted may be put on the back burner
The following users liked this post:
Hambone63 (03-26-24)
Old 07-07-06, 06:48 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

I say get the coilovers and a pair of waterproof boots.
Hambone63 (03-26-24)
Old 07-08-06, 07:55 AM
Lexus_g3
Driver School Candidate

Default Just came across the same problem.

Had the dealer look at my water problem on the driver’s side yesterday. Their assessment was the same as the other post - cracked evaporator cover. Noticed less moisture in the car when its parked on a flat surface and more water under the car from the drain tube.
The Atlanta dealer quoted $500+ to remove the dash just to further evaluate the problem. Thinking about bringing it to a reputable body shop rather than the Lexus dealer. Any thoughts?
Old 07-08-06, 08:04 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by STONER
I say get the coilovers and a pair of waterproof boots.
Now that's a man with his head on straight

Jonny
Hambone63 (03-26-24)
Old 07-08-06, 02:18 PM
RIPP7399
Driver

Default Looks Like Its The A/c

dried everything up and ran all day without A/C on yesterday and this morning and wallah...
no water no moisture.....

not a happy camper
Old 07-09-06, 06:04 PM
mostrogt
Pole Position

My floor flood is definitely coming from the AC use. Went to my local Lexus dealer yesterday and showed the service rep the problem.

Good news...I have an appointment this Wednesday to leave the car...

More good news...I'm getting a loner for at least two days while car is in shop...

Even more good news...It's all getting covered under my CPO Warranty...

I'll send in another post when I get my GS back.
Old 07-09-06, 08:43 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

just changed the evap core in my 1999 jeep grand cherokee and it was a son of a b. Thats great its covered. I hope this isnt a problem w/ other gs400
Old 07-13-06, 05:24 AM
mostrogt
Pole Position

Hi guys. Just wanted to update on what went on at the dealership with the wet floor problem. After all was checked out by the dealer it was found to be a hairline crack in the evaporator which was leaking water on that side. The remedy is that the dealership was going to remove it and seal it (which by the way they claimed to have seen this exact problem before) At this point all I want to get out of this is to get the thing fixed. As I mentioned before it all will be covered by the CPO warranty. I'm picking up my car today jusin time for this weekends meet at JM.
Old 07-13-06, 11:21 AM
mostrogt
Pole Position

Just called the dealer to see if the car was ready and POW! While under the knife the Heater Core was discovered to be leaking too...

Good thing they told me that it also got authorized for replacement under the warranty

It should be good to go by 5PM today.

It looks like my CPO Warranty is already paying dividens
Old 07-13-06, 11:28 AM
kkeppler
Driver School Candidate

Lexus_g3, I would recommend taking it to a lexus dealership. I will have to see if I can find my pictures for you. I took some while the dash was out, and unless you have a good mechanic you trust, it's a big job!

Quick Reply: water in floor drivers side