GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Steering pre-tensioner—how do you do it? (I searched)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-06, 12:40 PM
TRM04
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering pre-tensioner—how do you do it? (I searched)

I wanted to try to perform this service on my 98 GS400 however after reviewing this thread (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...Mine%27s+fixed), I’m at a lost. On page 2 of that thread is a picture of what needs adjustment, however my 98 doesn’t have that big hex head. I have a nut instead. Also there is mention about removing a “ring” and I am at a lost on that too. Can someone help please? A step by step would be great. 68k miles and I’m out of warranty, dealer wants $120/hr!
Old 04-10-06, 08:38 PM
TRM04
Driver

Anyone??
Old 04-10-06, 10:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

that's because you have an early year 98, which has the old style steering pretensioner. sorry but you wouldn't be able to do anything unless you change the whole assembly to the new one. i did it, it's not going to be cheap i think
Old 04-11-06, 07:32 AM
TRM04
Driver

Can a dealer do the adjustment if I can't?
Old 04-11-06, 09:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

you can ask them to replace all the necessary assemblies and then you can adjust it, but it's going to cost quite some money
Old 04-11-06, 02:08 PM
owali
Driver

I am having trouble doing this as well. Am I looking at the correct part? Where did you all find a hex key big enough to turn that thing? I have read that you should tighten it about 1/16, how many turns is that?
Attached Thumbnails -dsc00540.jpg  
Old 04-11-06, 03:49 PM
TRM04
Driver

What yr is your GS? Sounds like you have the nut atleast. I don't even have that.
Old 04-11-06, 05:17 PM
owali
Driver

I have a 99
Old 04-11-06, 07:35 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by owali
I am having trouble doing this as well. Am I looking at the correct part? Where did you all find a hex key big enough to turn that thing? I have read that you should tighten it about 1/16, how many turns is that?
Use a open end spanner to grab the two flat surfaces (you dont need a hex -key) ... disclaimer .. I have no idea if this is the right bolt-head... The outer nut (where the screwdrive is resting) seems like a lock ring..

Salim
Old 04-11-06, 11:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by owali
1/16 means.... 1/16 of a turn
Old 04-12-06, 12:53 PM
TRM04
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
Use a open end spanner to grab the two flat surfaces (you dont need a hex -key) ... disclaimer .. I have no idea if this is the right bolt-head... The outer nut (where the screwdrive is resting) seems like a lock ring..

Salim
Salim,

Can you confirm there is no way for me to make this adjustment if I don't see that hex head?

Thanks,

Ahad
Old 10-01-06, 07:58 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sheer Frustration

OK, here's an update to this thread-
The correct size of the bolt head that will fit properly into the hex preload fitting is that of a 5/8" hex bolt. (This means that the bolt head is not 5/8" across, but the head on a nominal 5/8" bolt is exactly the right size to fit into it. The hex hole is about 24mm across, and the 5/8" hex bolt head is about 23.5mm.) The bolt is available at Home Depot. I got a 2" long one, completely threaded, the shorter the better, but you can use any length. Get a matching nut too, and spin it all the way down onto the bolt, to give yourself something for an open-end wrench to grab onto. This is the easy part.

Now the hard part - maybe someone can help. I can't get the (*^$%^$ locknut loose!! Tried PB penetrating oil, twice. Problem is that I don't have a lift, so I jacked up the car enough to get under and try to wrench the thing loose. Not enough room to use a hammer under there, nor can I get both my arms under at the same time. Anyone got a better idea as to how to get the damn thing loose? (Tried a monkey wrench, pipe wrench, etc.) Once I do that, turning the actual preload fitting should be a piece of cake. I'm guessing it's the Loctite that they use on this at the factory that's causing me the problem. The other thing is that due to winter snow/salt, my car doesn't look as clean as a the California car pic above, there's a bit more corrosion.

Jerry
Old 10-02-06, 01:51 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Update -
I got the locknut loose. Had to use a 15" Craftsman adjustable wrench.

Here's the deal, for the record - to clear up the previous posts - the amount that I had to turn the inner fitting was between 1/8" and 1/4". That means, with the original position marked, the original marks are moved apart from each other about 1/8" to 1/4". It is not 3/4 turn (unless your steering gear is ready to fall out), nor 1/2 turn, or measured by a fraction of a turn (I tried 1/4 turn, but the steering wheel wouldn't return to center = too tight). The amount that you need to turn this thing is only a few degrees! It is only enough to take the remaining play out of the steering, without tightening it to the point that the fitting won't turn anymore.

The amazing part is how much difference that little bit makes. My car handles like a sportscar now. As soon as you turn the wheel, it turns with you, resulting in a much more "one with the car" feeling. Also kinda scary that this thingy needs to be adjusted so exactly - apparently, as the steering components wear, and the car gets older, it will be enough to introduce too much play.

I recommend this mod highly to anyone that prefers their car to handle crisply. Lexus obviously puts some play in the steering to make it more forgiving for older luxury drivers. When you start to mod the car for handling, that play has no reason to be there, and should be one of the first things tightened up, especially since it's a free mod.

Last edited by engin_ear; 10-02-06 at 07:04 PM. Reason: added info
Old 10-02-06, 08:43 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Im gonna do this to my GS as soon as i get a chance because my steering is loose. Do you guys think that this can be done on a Solara? The steering on that car is way too soft.
Old 10-02-06, 10:12 PM
BLK98GS3
Lead Lap

So is there is no factory adjustment for earlier generation GS's like a 98? If there isnt does anyone have any information about the parts needed to swap over to a the newer one without the costs of labor?

This is by far the most annoying flaw of the GS that I have encountered because there does not seem to be a viable fix. It has gotten to the point where I want to return the car to stock or just sell it all together. Hope you guys can help!

Ken

Quick Reply: Steering pre-tensioner—how do you do it? (I searched)