GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Steering pre-tensioner—how do you do it? (I searched)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-06, 11:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK98GS3
So I am guessing that since my car was manufactured 9/97 I won't have it? I have been trying to fix this problem for the longest time and am getting pretty annoyed, like you must have been, with this problem.
unfortunately, very likely it doesn't

mine was made in 12/97 i think
Old 10-24-06, 04:05 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by STONER
I am going to do this this week and need some clarification. If the thing the screwdriver is touching is the nut, and the thing inside it (with the hex shaped void) is the bolt, would you please confirm that what he adjusted was the nut. The edges appear to be rounded so I'm wondering how a socket could grab those if that is what he was doing. Also, is what was on your car different than that shown in the picture? The threads appear to tighten with a clockwise rotation. That is not to say that what fixed yor car was not a counter clockwise twist, but if that is the case, then what curd your shimmy is "loosening of that "nut"". I don't suppose there was any way to tell if the "bolt" was rotating with his adjustments, was there?
Forgive explicit detail, but I need to know exactly what to get to do this myself.

I was contemplating using a pipe wrench to loosen the "nut" and use engin-ear's bolt sizing from a previous post to tighten the bolt.

Thanks for the confirmation and congrats on the improved ride. This has become the only achilles heel of my car, and has me looking for a replacement if it can't be remedied.

Also, if it's not too much trouble, could you call and get the size of the socket he used. Seems like a friendly enough person to take the time with you. Hopefully he can save me some time too.

He adjusted the NUT. I'm not sure if he used a special socket or not; it looked like a regular one to me (albeit large). 4 of us watched and commented that it was counter clockwise for the turn. My car looked exactly like the above picture; your mileage may vary. I called there today but the guy is off Tuesdays and Wednesdays. You're more than welcome to call the shop itself and ask for the manager - the shop is NTB on Morse Road in Columbus Ohio. I can't remember the name of the alignment guy but the manager will be back Thursday. Everyone over there was really cool!

On a side note, my steering wheel is not completely straight, and they showed me that my steering rack bushings were worn, which will also cause slop in the steering. I ordered Daizen replacements from one of this site's sponsors (TM Engineering) http://www.tmengineering.net and they're going to be put on next week. I've heard very good things about that replacement helping out with loose steering as well.

Good luck!
Shawn
Old 10-24-06, 05:22 PM
Xthread
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I had the very same problem on my 00 GS3. I am a mech. so I went and did it myself at work today. It worked like a charm. I guess over time and miles, the rack gets worn on the inside.
Old 10-24-06, 05:34 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

my 98 has the same issue, how can I find out the manufacturing date of the car, to see if it has this adjustment. Although I think its the 20's on it that cause the vibration, I would like to give this a try since, it starts to vibrate right at around the MPH that the Sparky mentioned.

I hope this is it, where could I go to find the right socket, and what size was it (if you can recall)? Would autozone rent them. I know I got the oversized socket to take the axle off there. Also are there two of these? one for each side or just one?? Can anyone post a link to the DIY?????

THanks
Old 10-24-06, 05:45 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sparky3
He adjusted the NUT. I'm not sure if he used a special socket or not; it looked like a regular one to me (albeit large). 4 of us watched and commented that it was counter clockwise for the turn. My car looked exactly like the above picture; your mileage may vary. I called there today but the guy is off Tuesdays and Wednesdays. You're more than welcome to call the shop itself and ask for the manager - the shop is NTB on Morse Road in Columbus Ohio. I can't remember the name of the alignment guy but the manager will be back Thursday. Everyone over there was really cool!

On a side note, my steering wheel is not completely straight, and they showed me that my steering rack bushings were worn, which will also cause slop in the steering. I ordered Daizen replacements from one of this site's sponsors (TM Engineering) http://www.tmengineering.net and they're going to be put on next week. I've heard very good things about that replacement helping out with loose steering as well.

Good luck!
Shawn

I actually ordered the steering rack bushing. then they say (via email) it is backordered. I tried to call and left messages but no reply, can you tell me if it is in stock now or is it still back ordered.
thanks
Old 10-24-06, 05:48 PM
EFMJR
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DonJuan45i
my 98 has the same issue, how can I find out the manufacturing date of the car, to see if it has this adjustment. Although I think its the 20's on it that cause the vibration, I would like to give this a try since, it starts to vibrate right at around the MPH that the Sparky mentioned.

I hope this is it, where could I go to find the right socket, and what size was it (if you can recall)? Would autozone rent them. I know I got the oversized socket to take the axle off there. Also are there two of these? one for each side or just one?? Can anyone post a link to the DIY?????

THanks
My 98gs started doing this with my 20"'s also, so I thought that was the problem, but just went back to the stockers for winter and its still there. Im going to try this myself, just havent had time. Somewhere someone posted a tsb that lexus put out about this. cant remeber where, but its there.
Old 10-24-06, 05:59 PM
EFMJR
Lead Lap

fund this one

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=pre-tensioner

and this one has tons of info and theres a diagram on pg 11

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=pre-tensioner

hope this helps, theres more just search pretensioner
Old 10-24-06, 06:20 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HI98GS
I actually ordered the steering rack bushing. then they say (via email) it is backordered. I tried to call and left messages but no reply, can you tell me if it is in stock now or is it still back ordered.
thanks
From this page? Maybe I got the last one they had for now, but I never received anything in my email from them that it was backordered.

http://www.tmengineering.net/suspens...n/make/gs.html
Old 10-24-06, 08:26 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Xthread
Hey guys, I had the very same problem on my 00 GS3. I am a mech. so I went and did it myself at work today. It worked like a charm. I guess over time and miles, the rack gets worn on the inside.
so is it clockwise or counter-clockwise for the inner bolt?
Old 10-24-06, 08:48 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

i second that, counter clockwise or clockwise?
Old 10-25-06, 06:49 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Xthread
Yes, which method did you use. The socket over the nut method or the loosen the nut and turn the bolt method? And what direction did you turn whatever it was that you turned?

Thanks
Old 10-25-06, 11:17 AM
BLK98GS3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DonJuan45i
my 98 has the same issue, how can I find out the manufacturing date of the car, to see if it has this adjustment.

THanks
Its is on the driver's side door jam
Old 10-25-06, 06:25 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

It's clockwise to tighten it, I just tried it.
Old 10-25-06, 08:40 PM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LB Lex
It's clockwise to tighten it, I just tried it.
Clockwise to tighten what? The nut or the bolt?
Old 10-26-06, 07:34 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by STONER
Clockwise to tighten what? The nut or the bolt?
Counterclockwise to loosen the nut, clockwise to turn the hex bolt to tighten the steering wheel.

Quick Reply: Steering pre-tensioner—how do you do it? (I searched)