GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-06, 02:22 PM
DPedini
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What would you do?

Lets say you have a completely stock 2003 GS300 with 50150 Miles on the clock. The car is already factory optioned out (HID / 17" Chrome Wheels/ Mark Levinson with navigation yada yada yada)

You were given a budget of $2,500 - $3,500 Dollars to make this daily driver better than is was before.... What would you upgrade and or buy to enhance this car?

I look forward to your responses.

Thanks
Dennis
Dallas, TX
dennis@rdpla.net
Old 04-08-06, 02:59 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

suspension, wheels
that will pretty much whipe it out

If there is left over and their shouldn't be

SRT Air Intake
Old 04-08-06, 03:00 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DPedini
Lets say you have a completely stock 2003 GS300 with 50150 Miles on the clock. The car is already factory optioned out (HID / 17" Chrome Wheels/ Mark Levinson with navigation yada yada yada)

You were given a budget of $2,500 - $3,500 Dollars to make this daily driver better than is was before.... What would you upgrade and or buy to enhance this car?

I look forward to your responses.

Thanks
Dennis
Dallas, TX
dennis@rdpla.net
Do you want to enhance cosmetically, mechanically or what?? Do you want to go faster or make the car look better??

Jonny
Old 04-08-06, 03:08 PM
DPedini
Driver School Candidate

Johnny,
I drive on the Dallas Auto Bahun ( the Dallas north Tollway) so great braking and handling is the first thing then, some JDM looks.. no 20" rims and slamed to the ground.. not that I do not like that look.. I just don't want it for a daily driver more of the less is more look.

I know SS Brakelines for sure is on the list.

Thanks
DP
Old 04-08-06, 03:44 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

LOL! Dallas Autobahn....haha. I've had soooo many close calls with the po-po's there. I don't go past 80-90mph on there anymore, well ok maybe sometimes

I have the Tein Flex suspension on my car right now. If you do any kind of aggressive driving (me ) then that is a must for your first mod. I just got some SS goodridge brake lines, but I haven't installed them yet.

One question, how old are you? If you're still young you will fit in with my group....I'm 20 btw. We all go on the "Dallas Autobahn"

If you're in the Plano area, I'll take you for a spin in my car so you can feel how much a new suspension will change the dynamics of the car.

Either way, suspension is the first step! I'm running the stock 16" wheels and I can outhandle most of my friends BMW's easily
Old 04-08-06, 03:50 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I would say limo tint, clear sidemarkers, caliper paint, Polarg bulbs inside and out, upgrade stock sub, reverse camera, springs/coilovers and Rotora rotors.
Old 04-08-06, 03:50 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I would save $500 for a starter.

It'll come in handy later on
Old 04-08-06, 04:19 PM
DPedini
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
LOL! Dallas Autobahn....haha. I've had soooo many close calls with the po-po's there. I don't go past 80-90mph on there anymore, well ok maybe sometimes

I have the Tein Flex suspension on my car right now. If you do any kind of aggressive driving (me ) then that is a must for your first mod. I just got some SS goodridge brake lines, but I haven't installed them yet.

One question, how old are you? If you're still young you will fit in with my group....I'm 20 btw. We all go on the "Dallas Autobahn"

If you're in the Plano area, I'll take you for a spin in my car so you can feel how much a new suspension will change the dynamics of the car.

Either way, suspension is the first step! I'm running the stock 16" wheels and I can outhandle most of my friends BMW's easily

Jeff,
I'm in Frisco.. so your right up the street. Are you able to adjust the ride with the Tein Flex suspension? Where did you get your SS goodridge lines? locally? I have a Cobra that I also run that has a really tight suspension ( will pull 1G on a skid pad) It has the coil overs all the way around. I can ajusted them but have to do it manually. I'm older than 20 btw however I'm sure I would fit in just fine... let me know when your crew gets together I'll drive out and check out your rides...

thanks
DP
Old 04-08-06, 04:25 PM
DPedini
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexbox
I would say limo tint, clear sidemarkers, caliper paint, Polarg bulbs inside and out, upgrade stock sub, reverse camera, springs/coilovers and Rotora rotors.
Lexbox,
I have a dark tint already ( its a must in TX) I was looking at side clearmarkers. are they the ones on the fender? I know my ford has holes on the fenders for the side markers for export. did you have to dill holes?

I have Factory HID and I like white light.. what lights would you upgrade onthe inside? The reverse camera is a good idea also.. what did you use for your setup?

If I upgreade the brakes then I will not need the caliper paint. I did just pick up some red caliper paint last week in case it was recomned to keep the stock calipers. or If its recommend to go with the LS430 calpiers or the Supra TT calipers I can paint them red....

I'm waiting to see what the club says here and then go from there.

thnaks
DP
Old 04-08-06, 04:25 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe find a used supercharger or turbo ..........
..........or buy Tein CS, Tom's lower braces, Daizen sways and maybe a brake upgrade if there's loot left..
Old 04-08-06, 04:29 PM
DPedini
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chuckb
..........or buy Tein CS, Tom's lower braces, Daizen sways and maybe a brake upgrade if there's loot left..

there will be loot left for the next round of upgrades. this is for phase1...

I would like to do a Supra TT setup if I dont get a GS350 late next year..

DP

Last edited by DPedini; 04-08-06 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-08-06, 04:32 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Oh yea. upgrade the parking light up front. They are the wedge-type bulbs. I couldn't stand how the stock yellow light looked next to the HID at night so I upgraded to the Polarg M4. Of course you can use other types of bulbs instead. M4 was the best for me because it was not too bright or too dim. just perfect.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=127769
Old 04-08-06, 04:54 PM
svt5150
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go with:

Tein CS $1200
Tein EDFC $300
Rotora Rotors F/R $350
Goodridge SB lines $100
Better pads F/R $200

Thats a little over 2K, then I would go with maybe some LTuned sideskirts and your choice of grill if you can find them, say $500 for both. Spoiler if you want if the 300 doesnt have one and you would have a pretty nice ride. Looks and suspension/braking on a budget.
Old 04-08-06, 04:59 PM
csq860
Pole Position

I guess I'm in the minority on this one but for an upgraded daily driver I don't see the need for coilovers, turbos, 20's or body kits. If you just wanna get a little more of what you're already enjoying I'd stick with lowering springs and performance shocks, staggered 18's (you can find a price that won't equal a couple of mortgage payments if you look around), and a nice exhaust system. And yeah the side markers would look better cleared. That should do you for a start and can certainly be done within your budget, if you have a few hundred left over you can look at an SRT intake. Unless you're planning on running some slaloms or whatever I can't see blowing half your budget on coilovers. Just my opinion.
Old 04-08-06, 05:56 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckb

Quick Reply: What would you do?