GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Looking at a 98 gs400, but has only had oil changes so far...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-06, 10:53 AM
bee0818
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a 98 gs400, but has only had oil changes so far...

I am looking to purchase a gs400 and found a local one with all options (98, nav, xenon, 17's, etc). Car looks like it is in good condition, but the seller has admitted to not doing any maintenance other than synthetic oil changes every 5,000 miles. The car currently has 73,000 miles on it. Should I be worried that the 30k/60k maintenance has not been done? He is willing to have the 60k done, however I am not sure what is needed at those service intervals. Has the lack of service caused possible damage? The last thing I want to do is buy someone elses headache...Thanks
Old 04-03-06, 12:38 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ask him if he has changed his transmission oil yet. if he hasn't, then i would stay away from this car.

that's pretty much the most important thing i would think of that would either make or break the sale. i'm assuming he must have changed the brake pads already, come on, 73k? the other things that need to be changed are: air filter, serpentine belt, coolant flush, but you can get away with these. if other people can think of anything else, please chime in.
Old 04-03-06, 12:59 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

At least the seller is honest to tell you that all he or she did was oil changes. Some folks buy there cars from used car lots, and have no idea who the previous owner was and what maintainence if any was done to the car. If you are fixated on this car, check the color of the fluids tranny, brake powersteering. Look down the neck of the engine oil spout to see if there is signs of sludge build up. Things that might need replacing if not done. Engine mounts, balljoints, brake rotors, belts, hoses, sparkplugs. It will cost some $$$$$. So many things to list that I can write a book. Are you prepared to shell out major bucks in upkeep for this car?

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 04-03-06 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-03-06, 01:01 PM
blkvader
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree check the transmission fluid this is a beast of a car not a nissan or acura
Old 04-03-06, 01:04 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,256 Likes on 997 Posts

Originally Posted by bee0818
I am looking to purchase a gs400 and found a local one with all options (98, nav, xenon, 17's, etc). Car looks like it is in good condition, but the seller has admitted to not doing any maintenance other than synthetic oil changes every 5,000 miles. The car currently has 73,000 miles on it. Should I be worried that the 30k/60k maintenance has not been done? He is willing to have the 60k done, however I am not sure what is needed at those service intervals. Has the lack of service caused possible damage? The last thing I want to do is buy someone elses headache...Thanks
I would try to get the service history from a Lexus dealer also. And if the price was right I would have it checked over at a good Dealer, by an experienced tech.The Tranny might not be that bad at 70 k. Is he the only and original owner ? If not , then he can only tell you about her ownership. There are just not that many problems with the Tranny on those cars. A good flush might just take care of that.

BTW what is the price ?

Last edited by jgscott; 04-03-06 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-03-06, 07:29 PM
bee0818
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jgscott
I would try to get the service history from a Lexus dealer also. And if the price was right I would have it checked over at a good Dealer, by an experienced tech.The Tranny might not be that bad at 70 k. Is he the only and original owner ? If not , then he can only tell you about her ownership. There are just not that many problems with the Tranny on those cars. A good flush might just take care of that.

BTW what is the price ?
I have him at about $17,000. Any opinions on this price? Unfortunately there is not much to choose from in this area. The seller is the original owner. I will try and find out if any other fluids were changed. Thanks for all the help and advice. This looks like a very helpful board.
Old 04-03-06, 07:51 PM
landarc
Driver School Candidate

Default I know how it feels

I went through the same thing myself. I also bought a 98GS400. I am the third owner now. I did a lot of checking with Carfax, national police database to see if it was stolen, checked our AutoPac (we have public insurance here) to see if it had been in any accidents, I also went to dealer to get the service records, checked with the bank if there was lean on the car. What I also found out that if you have the VIN number, you can also get the previous owners service records form Lexus, at least here in Canada. Also in the manual, the first owner had the owners manual stamped, dated and dealers name at each service time. I also did a internet search on "used car checklist." That helped a lot! It was my first time buying a car and did a very through check. Opened everything, turned on everything, looked under the car, checked fuilds colors, etc. The list helps because it lists stuff that you never thought of asking or looking for. Take your time checking over the car. I did and so far, all I changd was the alternator and bought winter tires. Do a good through check and good luck. Once you get it, upload the pics.
Old 04-03-06, 08:44 PM
amul
Rookie

Originally Posted by bee0818
I have him at about $17,000. Any opinions on this price? Unfortunately there is not much to choose from in this area. The seller is the original owner. I will try and find out if any other fluids were changed. Thanks for all the help and advice. This looks like a very helpful board.

Just my honest opinion. Hes asking too much for a 98. He;s an honest person, but that doesn't change the fact he hasn't done much to the car for upkeep except changing the oil( most important though). His out of pocket has only been oil and gas,

You WILL need to do belts soon( age will be equally important as miles on a lot of maintanence items) , plugs, shocks, brakes, radiator fluid flush, tires( you did not mention tire replacement)...
He must have really taken care of the car if the tires are OEM. That may be a plus to keep in mind ( in the back of your mind) when negotiating.

I say trade in value / wholesale value is no greater than 12 to 13K. You can get this car from him for 14K easily. Just tell he all the normal maintenance will add up to a few $$K .
Remember the navi aint worth much at trade in. Maybe an extra 200 bucks so don't let him use that as his bargaining chip.
Old 04-03-06, 08:56 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Offer him 12k or let it slide....

CEO
Old 04-03-06, 08:56 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Offer him $14k and see what he say's
Old 04-04-06, 08:58 AM
bee0818
Pole Position

Wow, I didn't realize gs400's had come down so much in price. Thanks for the tips.
Does anyone know if lexus offered maintenance service as part of the cars purchase? I have a BMW and the car included all service and maintenance for the first 4 years/50,000 miles.
Thanks again!
Old 04-04-06, 09:02 AM
bee0818
Pole Position

Originally Posted by amul
You WILL need to do belts soon( age will be equally important as miles on a lot of maintanence items) , plugs, shocks, brakes, radiator fluid flush, tires( you did not mention tire replacement)...
Any idea what these will run me roughly? If its like most cars, I'm guessing $1500
Old 04-04-06, 02:07 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,256 Likes on 997 Posts

Originally Posted by THE_CEO
Offer him 12k or let it slide....

CEO
I would not insult the owner with a $ 5 Grand lowball. There's a better way. Tell him you are prepared to buy now and have a checkbook in hand, even if you are going to finance. Ask him what is buy right now price is and go from there.
Old 04-04-06, 03:19 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
I would not insult the owner with a $ 5 Grand lowball. There's a better way. Tell him you are prepared to buy now and have a checkbook in hand, even if you are going to finance. Ask him what is buy right now price is and go from there.
im not insulting...just i know that there are plenty of GS400's for 12k or less...with the same amount of miles.

CEO
Old 04-04-06, 04:21 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by THE_CEO
im not insulting...just i know that there are plenty of GS400's for 12k or less...with the same amount of miles.

CEO
Seen some 300's but never seen a GS400 with 70k for anywhere close to $12k

Jonny

Quick Reply: Looking at a 98 gs400, but has only had oil changes so far...