GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Learned something new today (door lock actuator tip)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-06, 08:23 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Learned something new today (door lock actuator tip)

This is really kind of a trivial discovery, so don't get your hopes up.

As most of you know, there have been a lot of threads about the door lock actuators going bad on our GS's. Mine are fine (for now), but, after reading all of the bad actuator threads, I make a concerted effort to use the electric locks as infrequently as possible. For example, in the morning, I unlock the driver's door with remote (which obviously engages the driver's door actuator), but once inside the car, if I want to lock the door, I manually slide the lock forward. Similarly, when I park the car in the garage at work, I manually slide the lock open to unlock the door. Obviously, once I'm out of the car, in order to lock it, I need to hit the remote twice (once to lock the car and a second time to turn off the auto headlights), that is, until today.

When I got out of my car today, I don't know why, but instead of using the remote to lock the driver's door, I locked the door lock manually and then closed the door. I knew this didn't set the alarm, so I hit the lock button on the remote (which engaged all 4 actuators), and, to my surprise, this also turned the lights off. I usually have to hit the remote twice -- once to lock the doors and once to turn the lights off. By locking the door manually before closing it, the alarm sets and the lights turn off on the first click. I just thought I'd share.
Old 03-16-06, 08:45 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm thanks i will give that a try ... im sure the lexus keys have 50 dollar batteries too
Old 03-17-06, 11:41 AM
Lubs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The battery is a CR2032 if I recall correctly. $5 or so. Maybe $50 at the dealer.
Old 03-17-06, 11:44 AM
maintrain
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my battery for $2 @ wal-mart (jewelry/watch counter)
Old 03-17-06, 12:47 PM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

$50 battery for the key...are you joking.
Old 03-17-06, 01:10 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bmgs400
$50 battery for the key...are you joking.

probably...lol
Old 03-17-06, 02:08 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lubs
The battery is a CR2032 if I recall correctly. $5 or so. Maybe $50 at the dealer.
I just replaced my battery in both keys and it was a CR1616.
$3.49 ea at radio shack
Old 03-17-06, 02:33 PM
IAGS400
Pole Position

To get this thread back on track.

Why bother hitting the locks twice to turn off the lights? Do you want them off for a reason?

If you don't like the lights on delay have your dealership change the settings, since you can get this done for free, I can't at mine. I believe it can be set at 30/60/0.
Old 03-17-06, 05:49 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IAGS400
To get this thread back on track.

Why bother hitting the locks twice to turn off the lights? Do you want them off for a reason?

If you don't like the lights on delay have your dealership change the settings, since you can get this done for free, I can't at mine. I believe it can be set at 30/60/0.
Hmm. Good point. I guess I wouldn't want to change the setting because there are times when I want them to stay on. However, most of the time, I want them off, and I like to know that they actually are off before I leave the car.
Old 03-17-06, 06:49 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the lights go off 30 seconds after you shut the door anyway, no?
Old 03-17-06, 08:11 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chuckb
the lights go off 30 seconds after you shut the door anyway, no?
Is it possible that mine take longer? I don't know, sometimes it seems like I'm waiting forever.

Anyway, key FOB batteries and automatic lights aside, the point of the thread was that the door actuators on our cars have a tendency to break, they are expensive to fix, and I try to avoid using them (that is, if I can).
Old 03-17-06, 08:49 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
Is it possible that mine take longer? I don't know, sometimes it seems like I'm waiting forever.

Anyway, key FOB batteries and automatic lights aside, the point of the thread was that the door actuators on our cars have a tendency to break, they are expensive to fix, and I try to avoid using them (that is, if I can).
As IAGS400 said. The lights can be programmed to 30sec,60sec, or none. This has to be done by the lexus dealer though, but its free....or at least it should be.
Old 03-19-06, 04:20 PM
asci01
Pole Position

Good tip, e-man.

In addition to turning the lights off, mine locks the car and turns the alarm on 30 secs after the last door is closed as long as the key is not in the ignition, so I never have to worry whether I lock the car, or turn the alarm on after I leave the car, plus works great for valet parking (if you must )
Old 03-19-06, 05:57 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by asci01
Good tip, e-man.

In addition to turning the lights off, mine locks the car and turns the alarm on 30 secs after the last door is closed as long as the key is not in the ignition, so I never have to worry whether I lock the car, or turn the alarm on after I leave the car, plus works great for valet parking (if you must )
Hmm . . . I've never heard of this one. Is this something that the dealer programmed (i.e., a c-best setting)? Do you have an aftermarket alarm? The only time my car locks by itself is if I unlock the doors with the remote but then don't open a door within 30 seconds. In that case, it will lock the doors and re-arm the alarm.
Old 03-19-06, 07:09 PM
asci01
Pole Position

Originally Posted by e-man
Hmm . . . I've never heard of this one. Is this something that the dealer programmed (i.e., a c-best setting)? Do you have an aftermarket alarm? The only time my car locks by itself is if I unlock the doors with the remote but then don't open a door within 30 seconds. In that case, it will lock the doors and re-arm the alarm.
No aftermarket alarm.

That's the way it was since I bought it from 1st owner.

It could be a c-best setting.

Quick Reply: Learned something new today (door lock actuator tip)