GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Car not shifting from paRK??????

Old 02-07-15, 01:40 PM
Kretek234
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KeyKeeper
Betting its the shift interlock solenoid in the shifter. Mine would randomly lock the shifter in park. I just wedged a small piece of paper in the side of the shifter which forces it to the unlocked position. Not the safest thing, but Im the only one that drives my car anyways. Im not sure if you can get the solenoid by itself, I think Lexus sells the entire lower shifter assembly. I may be wrong...good luck.
After I check the brake light, they are all on and I check the fuses ( stop and radio 2),seems alright, now suspicion is in the solenoid which is the part name is computer sub assymbly. Call Lexus dealer the part # 85903-30020, $169.60. I just want to make sure, since electrical and special order is non returnable. Any idea or diy how to replace this solenoid?
Thank you.
Old 02-09-15, 06:26 AM
KeyKeeper
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well you have to completely remove the shifter I believe. I never replaced mine. Its still "rigged" a year later. I looked on the web but couldnt find a good picture to show how I "rigged" mine.

Does it do it randomly or is it just completely stuck in park? The part Im referring to has an aluminum heat sink on the top of it and is located just in front, and under the shifter assembly.

Just looked up that p/n and I think you got the right part.
Old 02-09-15, 06:05 PM
takashi
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

funny thing, I was experiencing the shift lock issue also, so I went ahead to replace the brake switch, but still no go.

So I ordered 85903-30020 Computer Sub-Assy, and it arrived today, still haven't got around to installing it tho since it looks to be a biatch going in there...

It was $127.67 plus tax and shipping came out to $152.03

Can't wait to having it replaced and repaired... tired of sticking my pen inside the manual release button each time I need to put our of park and from drive to park...

Last edited by takashi; 02-09-15 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-10-15, 05:38 AM
Kretek234
Rookie

Originally Posted by takashi
funny thing, I was experiencing the shift lock issue also, so I went ahead to replace the brake switch, but still no go.

So I ordered 85903-30020 Computer Sub-Assy, and it arrived today, still haven't got around to installing it tho since it looks to be a biatch going in there...

It was $127.67 plus tax and shipping came out to $152.03

Can't wait to having it replaced and repaired... tired of sticking my pen inside the manual release button each time I need to put our of park and from drive to park...
Hi Takashi, where did you order that part from, my lexus dealer here asking for $169.70 plus tax. Will you let me know when you finish installing it please. After I check all the fuses that related to break, abs,radio 2, all are working fine, I ran out of option, so the only thing that I can thing is the Computer Sub-assymbly shift interlock control. If you can take the picture when you installing it that would nice.
Thank you very much for the info.
Old 02-10-15, 06:16 AM
Kretek234
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kretek234
Hi Takashi, where did you order that part from, my lexus dealer here asking for $169.70 plus tax. Will you let me know when you finish installing it please. After I check all the fuses that related to break, abs,radio 2, all are working fine, I ran out of option, so the only thing that I can thing is the Computer Sub-assymbly shift interlock control. If you can take the picture when you installing it that would nice.
This the picture of the computer Sub-Assy.
Attached Thumbnails Car not shifting from paRK??????-image.jpg  
Old 02-10-15, 07:13 AM
KeyKeeper
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats the one. Put your foot on the brake pedal for a minute and then touch that shiny part ;-) lol!
Old 02-10-15, 11:28 AM
takashi
Rookie

I bought it through http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/

The link for the item here http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/l...903-30020.html

I'll try taking pictures if I can of the install, I tried searching but I'm surprised no body has done a write up of this, it seems to be pretty common problem with our cars
Old 02-12-15, 04:47 PM
Kretek234
Rookie

Yes I did the same, I've been searching the write up about this problem, can't find one, about how to replace the comp sub Assy.
What happen with the rest of the member that has the same problem like us? Are they take it to the dealer or just keep inserting screw driver to the override slot.
Old 02-14-15, 11:45 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3loco
I had this shift lock problem today when I was checking a fuse due to my cigarette lighter being out. I had removed the "Radio 2" fuse and once I did, the shift lock was always locking. It was really strange. Once I put the fuse back, my problems were solved.

I would never think these two items would be related. I'm still trying to fix my cigarette lighter however.
Yesss. Happen to me 2 in my car ( indentically). TUrn off the car and when I returned to turn the engine on, the shift was lock. The fuse was out, look and text okay but internally not. Change it for a new one and tell me later. I hope and this help U.
Old 02-16-15, 02:01 PM
Kretek234
Rookie

I bought it through http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/

The link for the item here http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/l...903-30020.html

I'll try taking pictures if I can of the install, I tried searching but I'm surprised no body has done a write up of this, it seems to be pretty common problem with our cars
Hello Takashi, did you ever get a chance to install the comp sub-Assy yet?, I want to know the outcome.
I put my order in, and I also order " Slide Cover" since mine broke off right in the middle .
Old 02-17-15, 05:32 PM
takashi
Rookie

Hello Takashi, did you ever get a chance to install the comp sub-Assy yet?, I want to know the outcome.
I put my order in, and I also order " Slide Cover" since mine broke off right in the middle .
I'm sorry for not being able to tackle this yet, I work late hours, and only have hour of lunch, and I don't want to be left stuck not being able to drive my car if I'm not able to finish the job in the dark lol

I was super busy the past weekend also, and debating on doing it during lunch...

here is the pics of the product to give you an idea of what we're up against

Old 02-19-15, 01:55 PM
takashi
Rookie

Replaced and now it's shifting like butter lol

here is the link for write up click here
Old 02-26-15, 05:27 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So, you don't think is not the solenoid ( computer sub assy shift lock control)?, when I stepped on the break, all my break light was on. I haven't check the fuses yet. Where is the location of the "stop" fuse? is it on the driver side or the pass side.
I still need know if somebody ever change the solenoid, will be nice with pictures.
Thank's.
EDIT: JK, I was wrong, i grabbed the wrong part. hmm. so that part is the actual shift control solenoid. hmm.

neutral safety switch is that "computer sub assy shift lock control" and majority of the time it is that that goes out.

the stop switch/ fuses ordeal was in reply to the old 06 responses that i didnt look at the dates, i just looked up what people were talking about and did confirm the wiring diagrams etc.. first thing i usually would replace is the neutral safety switch, i work at a parts store and this is a common problem, if its not the neutral safety switch, the shift linkage is the culprit if the car just does not want to move into gear, if for sure the neutral safety switch is working

Last edited by SC4Paulo; 02-26-15 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-01-15, 02:53 PM
Kretek234
Rookie

I just replaced mine to day, and also replaced the slide cover. My next project is replacing the spark plugs.
Thank you Takashi.
Old 05-29-16, 11:38 AM
prvtjet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift lock still stuck!

Many thanks to Takashi and others for the great detailed posts. It really helped me disassemble and reassemble everything quickly.
Here's the catch. My 99' GS400 still has a shift lock problem that won't let me move out of park unless I jam a screwdriver in the release slot. My rear tail lights work fine. At first I thought it was the solenoid, so I ordered and replaced the ENTIRE shifter assembly (from a 2001 GS300). The assembly was used but am assuming it functions. I am now really puzzled. I don't hear the "click" when I step on the brake. Is there some other switch between the brake pedal and the harness that runs to the solenoid???
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.........

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car not shifting from paRK??????