GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DIY cabin air filter with LOTS OF PIX

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-06, 03:52 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathancl
Your filter is in upside-down. The air flow is top to bottom.

The top should be the white part of the filter and the open part of the frame.
The bottom should be the wire mesh of the filter and the cross pieces of the frame.

See my DIY thread for more: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122075.
Yep. I figured that out after I put it in (see my post #26 above). I know this DIY doesn't hold a candle to your DIY for installing L-tuned springs/shocks (which, by the way, was an absolute masterpiece), but it's a start.

e
Old 02-04-06, 03:53 PM
aznxguy714
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

somebody tell me which way the arrow is supposed to be pointing. up or down. i just got a filter but i don't want to put it in unless i know which way the arrow is supposed to be.
Old 02-04-06, 04:04 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

thanks for the DIY, hey azn what filter did u buy?
does it matter what though? i got bad allergys and i think i should change it to those allergy filters

Last edited by LiLS; 02-04-06 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-04-06, 04:29 PM
aznxguy714
Pole Position

well after starring at the different types of filters. i went with a filter made by lysol. bought it at home depot for like 8 bucks. i haven't put it in yet cause i don't know which way the arrows are supposed to face on the filter. i know on the oem filters the arrow should be facing up. anyways like i said i got the Lysol Elite Pleated Air Filter.
Old 02-04-06, 04:40 PM
aznxguy714
Pole Position

well i think i figure out that the arrows should be facing up. why is because i went to go take a look at my home furnace and the arrow is facing down towards the inlet vent. well looking at the filter is was pretty dirty on the side of the inlet vent. good i picked up 2 and the right size hahaha. anyways so i'm assuming that since the top side (arrow facing up) of my oem filter is dirty that i should just match the arrow in the direction of the inlet vent on the filter i bought from home depot and i should be alright.
Old 02-04-06, 04:53 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome DIY writeup
Old 02-04-06, 04:56 PM
garbage85
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aznxguy714
well after starring at the different types of filters. i went with a filter made by lysol. bought it at home depot for like 8 bucks. i haven't put it in yet cause i don't know which way the arrows are supposed to face on the filter. i know on the oem filters the arrow should be facing up. anyways like i said i got the Lysol Elite Pleated Air Filter.
I just got the lysol too. I think its a little too flimsy. I should have gotten the one with the metal braces on them.
Old 02-04-06, 06:31 PM
aznxguy714
Pole Position

oh yea garbage85, i think its alright. yea its not stiff once ya cut it but oh wells. next time i'll try the metal wire mesh in it. i jsut went with the lysol one because i read somewhere that and remember seeing it on tv that pleated v-shape filters allows for greater surface area and higher dust and dirt retention than the ones with the metal wire mesh but i'm sure its all just about a person preference. i dunno haha
Old 02-04-06, 08:05 PM
garbage85
Lexus Champion

I just went with it because it was 8 bucks
Old 02-04-06, 08:08 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey guys. Here's the definitive answer on which way the arrows should be pointing. The arrow on the cartridge (not the filter, the cartridge) should be pointing up because that arrow is for the purpose of indicating which way the cartridge should be inserted in the slot. The arrow on the filter, however, should be pointing down because that arrow indicates the direction that the air flows through the filter (which is from top to bottom). If anyone disagrees, please let us know.

By the way, on the stock filter, the arrow is pointing up, but that arrow is NOT an indicator for air flow like the arrow on home furnace filters. That arrow (the arrow on the stock filter) is there simply to show you which way to put the filter into the cartridge.

e

Last edited by e-man; 02-04-06 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-04-06, 08:17 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

E-man is white

LOL J/K
\
This is what I like to see ,+1 for you E-man ...Always a positive thing to see a fellow CL member helping out the community by saving us money AND showing us how..

Thanks again
Johnny
Old 02-04-06, 09:12 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

whats the best way to seal the edges so we get a cleaner filtration?
Old 02-04-06, 11:38 PM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by e-man
Hey guys. Here's the definitive answer on which way the arrows should be pointing. The arrow on the cartridge (not the filter, the cartridge) should be pointing up because that arrow is for the purpose of indicating which way the cartridge should be inserted in the slot. The arrow on the filter, however, should be pointing down because that arrow indicates the direction that the air flows through the filter (which is from top to bottom). If anyone disagrees, please let us know.

By the way, on the stock filter, the arrow is pointing up, but that arrow is NOT an indicator for air flow like the arrow on home furnace filters. That arrow (the arrow on the stock filter) is there simply to show you which way to put the filter into the cartridge.

e
Uh oh - I gotta run in the garage and flip the filter over. Thanks Eric!
Old 02-05-06, 12:06 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Great Writeup! Excellent pics, e!
Steve at Carson also has Blitz washable replaceble cabin air filters if anyone wants to go that route. I got one, it's great, hopefully don't have to pay for new ones of any kind any more. Also is anti-bacterial/mold.

Hey e - just a reminder - THAT"S A NON_STOCK PART YOU HAVE IN THERE NOW...

UberNoob, if you look at the huge crap this thing filters that comes in thru the vents, you realize that you probably don't even need to seal the edges....
Old 02-05-06, 10:30 AM
aznxguy714
Pole Position

Okay i give up im just gonna flip my filter over so the arrow is facing down hahahahaha.

Last edited by aznxguy714; 02-05-06 at 10:35 AM.

Quick Reply: DIY cabin air filter with LOTS OF PIX