GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DIY cabin air filter with LOTS OF PIX

Old 02-03-06, 08:04 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey E-MAN I'll take 3 of those homemade filters I can even come by to pick them up
Old 02-03-06, 08:13 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow thats an awesome "mod"
finally something that can save me money

now we can add HEPA filters to our GS!

this one should be stickied!
Old 02-03-06, 08:31 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
Wait a minute. Does this actually count as a mod?!?!?!?!? How about that. And you all thought that I wouldn't mod my car.

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
Hey E-MAN I'll take 3 of those homemade filters I can even come by to pick them up
I'll tell you what. I'll do you one better. I'll even put it in for you. I'm an expert at this mod.

Originally Posted by IAGS400
E-man....You missed a step. First clean out your glovebox.
Good point IA. I knew I was forgetting something. Maybe I should revise the thread to include this step (which I guess would come right after the part about opening the glovebox).
Old 02-03-06, 08:41 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob

don't say that, now he'll change it back to stock

j/k...........nice job/info e
Old 02-03-06, 08:52 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Hey E-MAN what time should I come by for the CABIN FILTER PIT-STOP
Old 02-03-06, 09:07 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chuckb

don't say that, now he'll change it back to stock

j/k...........nice job/info e
LOL, Chuck (literally). Actually, I just went out to the car to flip the filter over so the air is flowing through it in the right direction and I was wondering to myself whether the DIY filter does as good of a job of filtering the air as the stock filter. Stay tuned for further details.
Old 02-04-06, 12:57 AM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by e-man
Now, I do have one question. Can someone tell me which way the air flows through the filter? Based on all the crap that was stuck in the top of the filter, I assume it comes in through the top and flows down through the filter, but I'm not completely sure. If that's the case, you need to make sure the arrow on your filter indicating air flow is pointing down (I just realized that mine is pointing up and I'm going to have to redo it ).

e
I did this DIY cabin filter last summer too. Great step by step instructions. Definately very easy to do. As far as airflow - all you gotta do is match up the arrows on the filter holder & the actual filter. (both pointing up).

Lexuskid - i've got 3/4 of that big filter left over if you want it.

George
Old 02-04-06, 01:29 AM
aznxguy714
Pole Position

does this actually work where you used a home filter and if it does what kind do u use or does it not matter. what i mean is do u use furnace filters or air purifiers filters. lowes has like all kinds.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...List&N=5000410

this is definetly a cheaper alternative than buying the actual oem filter

Last edited by aznxguy714; 02-04-06 at 01:38 AM.
Old 02-04-06, 01:42 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts
Default how to tell direction of air flow

Now, I do have one question. Can someone tell me which way the air flows through the filter? Based on all the crap that was stuck in the top of the filter, I assume it comes in through the top and flows down through the filter, but I'm not completely sure. If that's the case, you need to make sure the arrow on your filter indicating air flow is pointing down (I just realized that mine is pointing up and I'm going to have to redo it ).

e
Here's what i did :

with the AC on and set to take in air from the outside(recirculate mode off), pop in your hand where the AC filter was originally. You can actually feel the direction of air flow on your palm. I did this a few months ago so I can't remember but I think the direction of air flow should be from from top down. TRY not to stick your fingers into the channels above and below your palm since I'm not sure whether there are any rotating fan blades in those channels.
Old 02-04-06, 03:10 AM
DrewGS350
Instructor

Excellent thread we need more cost saving tips like this
Old 02-04-06, 05:02 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aliti19
I did this DIY cabin filter last summer too. Great step by step instructions. Definately very easy to do. As far as airflow - all you gotta do is match up the arrows on the filter holder & the actual filter. (both pointing up).

Lexuskid - i've got 3/4 of that big filter left over if you want it.

George
Hey George. I think it's the other way around. The arrows on the cartridge are there to indicate the correct orientation of the cartridge (i.e., which way it should be facing when you insert it). I think you can see the "up arrow" in one of the pictures in this thread. However, I'm pretty sure the air flow indicator on the filter itself should be pointed down. When I took out my filter, most of the big particles were on top of the filter, which tells me that the air flow is from top to bottom (and it makes sense -- the air flow would never be from bottom to top because then those pieces would hit the filter and fall back down). The main reason there are air flow indicators on home air filters is because most air filters are inserted into a slot where the air flow is left to right or right to left, so it's usually not very clear which way the air is supposed to flow. In this case, it's easy to see that the air must flow from top to bottom (I think). Does that make sense?

And, on a related note, does anyone know why it even makes a difference? I mean, does the air flow better through the filter one way versus the other? The only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with the mesh support wires being on the opposite side of the way the air is flowing to make sure that a strong gust of air doesn't blow out the filter, but I'm not completely sure.
Old 02-04-06, 08:32 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Excellent thread! :-) Thanks for taking your time and the great pics!
Old 02-04-06, 09:43 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

thx for this! i really have to do this too
Old 02-04-06, 12:24 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

hey whats the recommended miles for changing the cabin air filte btw?
Old 02-04-06, 03:36 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

And here's the back side of it:
Your filter is in upside-down. The air flow is top to bottom.

The top should be the white part of the filter and the open part of the frame.
The bottom should be the wire mesh of the filter and the cross pieces of the frame.

See my DIY thread for more: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122075.

Edit: My bad; I should have read the posts more closely. Per post 26, it is because you want the support on the side opposite the incoming force.

And thanks for the LT S/S props. Those compliments really make my day.

Last edited by jonathancl; 02-04-06 at 04:12 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY cabin air filter with LOTS OF PIX