GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New owner introduction +a few questions...(56k warning)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-06, 11:31 AM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner introduction +a few questions...(56k warning)

I just picked up a 1998 GS300 with 114,500 miles on it. Drove it the 2,000 miles back to Phoenix from South Carolina with no problems. Ended up getting about 24.5 mpg on the drive. Didn't think that's bad for a heavy luxury car. Lots of rock chips on the front and lots of little tiny scratches all down the sides (like someone dried it with a dirty towel or something), but the paint is in otherwise good condition. And the interior is near perfect. Timiing belt was done at 95k, so everything should be good in that respect.

I'm also a pic *****, so sorry to those of you still on dial up....

Some pics:

Now the questions:
1. I've tried searching about the key remote, but not finding what I want. The manual makes mention of some programming options with relation to the locks and trunk. It says to see the Lexus dealer. Are these instructions online somewhere? Or in some manual? All that I'm finding are instructions how to program a new key to work with the alarm.
2. There seems to be some kind of switch in the driver door lock. When the door is locked, and you push the manual lock forward (locking it more), there is a very distinct "click". I don't hear or feel it in any of the other locks. What exactly is this for? Is this related to the programming of the remote? Or the locks themselves?
3. I read that some of the other models will lock the doors when you put the car in drive or reverse and unlock them when you put it in park. Is this an option on that you can set, or was it not available? I tried the instructions that were in the RX forum, but that didn't appear to work.
4. I've seen a few pictures of engines on e-bay showing a cover over most of the engine. Is this an item that was included later? Or did a previous owner forget to reinstall it?
5. I've seen a number of gen 2's with the left trunk light that appears to be much lighter than the right side. I'm guessing a manufacturing defect? Has this been corrected in later production? Where is the best place to get a new one? Typical price?
6. Is there a place online that has part descriptions and part numbers? Specifically, if I wanted to know the part number for the pink tail light, how would I find it? Or is that a dealer only thing? Or does someone have a copy of the software the dealership uses to look up the part number that they wouldn't mind sharing?
7. I'm sure a few of you have a favorite place to purchase factory parts. What are they? What kind of discounts do you get?
8. Where is the best place to get a service manual? I hate paying stealerships $80/hr just to change a lightbulb, so I do most of my own work. Plus, I plan on installing a different head unit and am looking for diagrams, instructions, pictures of various parts of interior pieces and how they come apart. I don't want to break anything if I can help it.
9. I know my car has the Pioneer stereo and CD changer. I'm going up to Best Buy to see if they can't match the cartidge. Or is this only available at the dealership? And can you plug the changer into an aftermarket Pioneer headunit?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-27-06, 11:46 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had the pioneer headunit and stock changer before i went with all eclipse stuff. i still have the changer cartridge if you need it PM me with an offer.. right now its just hanging out in my den.
Old 01-27-06, 12:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

1) first of all you need at least one master key in order to program new keyes, up to 7 i believe? anyway, there are instructions here, i am sure you can search and find it. but bottom line is you need a master key in order to duplicate
2) i am confused, you mean when you try to lock the door, only the driver side locks and the other doesn't? that should be the master lock button. maybe door actuators? again i am confused so not conclusive
3) it's not available on 98-00 gs. that's new cbest settings and only available on 01-05 gs300/430 (different computer)
4) i believe it was on the gs300 since 01+ for sure. not sure about 99 and 00, neo can chime in. but it's not that easy for you to put on the cover, it will take some adjustments
5) definitely not the case. i see tons of gs here in cali and i don't notice any dimmer taillights left and right?
6) you can ask TLW about it, he has the manual. you can also get it online but you have to pay
7) carson toyota and sewell lexus. mention you are from clublexus. not specifically discounts, but you get the best prices
8) you can get the manual from carson toyota? i am not 100%
9) i am not sure if you can just use any pionner magazine and it will fit. might need to talk to dealership, i remember it's like 20 or 30 bucks?
Old 01-27-06, 01:21 PM
GS3T
Lead Lap

Welcome to CL
Old 01-27-06, 01:33 PM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
1) first of all you need at least one master key in order to program new keyes, up to 7 i believe? anyway, there are instructions here, i am sure you can search and find it. but bottom line is you need a master key in order to duplicate
Not what I was asking. I was asking about the programability of a working remote, not making an additional remote work. The manual mentions being able to turn off certain features of the remote (like making it a valet key or something).
2) i am confused, you mean when you try to lock the door, only the driver side locks and the other doesn't? that should be the master lock button. maybe door actuators? again i am confused so not conclusive
I've read about the actuators being a problem. All of mine work fine at this time. The power lock and unlock switch works a little funny, but also not what I asked about. Go sit in car. Lock doors. Push the manual door lock forward. Do you feel/hear a click? I feel this in no other manual lock in the car (passenger front or both rear).
6) you can ask TLW about it, he has the manual. you can also get it online but you have to pay
Not asking for a manual. Asking for a parts listing with part numbers.
7) carson toyota and sewell lexus. mention you are from clublexus. not specifically discounts, but you get the best prices
Okay, how about a place online that will give you list prices if you provide them a part number?
3) it's not available on 98-00 gs. that's new cbest settings and only available on 01-05 gs300/430 (different computer)
4) i believe it was on the gs300 since 01+ for sure. not sure about 99 and 00, neo can chime in. but it's not that easy for you to put on the cover, it will take some adjustments
5) definitely not the case. i see tons of gs here in cali and i don't notice any dimmer taillights left and right?
8) you can get the manual from carson toyota? i am not 100%
9) i am not sure if you can just use any pionner magazine and it will fit. might need to talk to dealership, i remember it's like 20 or 30 bucks?
Thanks. That clears up a few things.
Old 01-27-06, 01:38 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all that good use of quotes and not one comment about the magazine for the cd changer i offered. oh well, to ebay it goes.
Old 01-27-06, 01:39 PM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
all that good use of quotes and not one comment about the magazine for the cd changer i offered. oh well, to ebay it goes.
I haven't made it to best buy yet. I will have to get back to you.
Old 01-27-06, 01:45 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No engine cover for the 98s.

bluelex tried to put one on his 98 and I think it did not have all the right mount holes. It will work, just not optimally. I'd have to dog out that thread to be sure about his retrofit.
Old 01-27-06, 02:42 PM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

I think number 2 is the windows. If you turn the key to one side long enough it will roll them all up or down, depending on which way you turn it.
Old 01-27-06, 02:59 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

will engine covers fit a 99?
Old 01-27-06, 03:52 PM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kaiser
I think number 2 is the windows. If you turn the key to one side long enough it will roll them all up or down, depending on which way you turn it.
I'm talking about INSIDE the car. The little door lock next to the handle you use to open the door.

And I know about the windows and the key. That's in the owner's manual.

Not to seem ungrateful, but was I not clear about this?
Old 01-27-06, 04:12 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ-GS300
I'm talking about INSIDE the car. The little door lock next to the handle you use to open the door.

And I know about the windows and the key. That's in the owner's manual.

Not to seem ungrateful, but was I not clear about this?
I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about. I've had this on both my 98 and to a lesser extent on my 99. What you're saying is that even after you lock the doors with the automatic lock button, the manual lock still has some play to it, as if it's not pushed all the way over. Let me ask you this -- when you lock it with the automatic lock but before you push it over that little extra 1/2 inch or so, is the door actually locked? Have you tried pulling on the handle after you push the automatic lock button? If the door is locked (and mine always is), I wouldn't worry about it. Seems pretty normal.
Old 01-27-06, 04:20 PM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Yep. Absolutely positive it's locked. It feels like a switch. It sounds like a switch. So I'm trying to figure out what it does. It reacts much the same way the ECT switch reacts. Push down, slightly click, pops back.

Guess I might have to wait until I get a service manual.
Old 01-27-06, 06:36 PM
LStyle
Pole Position

Welcom to CL, Very nice and clean GS!

Here is a link to a website that has diagrams of all the parts with part numbers and everything. I like that outline because sometimes it's hard to explain to someone what you need.
http://www.toyotaandlexusparts.com/
Old 01-27-06, 08:35 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Welcome to CL.... Thats a long haul you drove... Good luck with the mods...

Quick Reply: New owner introduction +a few questions...(56k warning)