GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

just got my car back from the shop...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-06, 07:53 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got my car back from the shop...

i dropped my car off at the shop last monday to get some stuff worked on

list of things done:

-they fixed the very bottom part of the front bumper, because it was warped during my run in with a racoon. (GS 1 - Racoon 0)
-also because of the racoon i needed to use jonathancl's "Reparing a GS Bumper (2001)" thread to fix my front bumper grille part; i let the shop bond all the cracks though.
-had license plate holes filled/removed
-and the most obvious TTE lip installed using adhesive tape... its holding on pretty damn good
-had my hood repainted, and ltuned grille repainted
-lastly, my rear bumper got into a hit and run, the f-er left a little mark directly in the center of my bumper. the shop repaired it but only needed to paint above the chrome strip?? i dont know but it turned out excellent

price:
$230 for front bumper w/ repairs and tte lip installed, painted
$150 repaint hood, and ltuned grille
$80 for repair and repaint above chrome strip on rear bumper
____
$460
$10 additional discount
____
$450 grand total.

heres the down part, the shop told me that the paint didnt match up as well as they expected. he told me on the front bumper, above the chrome strip, where it meets the quarter panel was slightly off. i went to go look at it and it was off but i didnt think it was that bad.. i dont understand how they got the rest of the paint to match though?? the shop told me that they need to work on the quarter panels to make it match.. i said ok how much? he told me he'll give me a discount, 50 bucks each panel 100 total... not too shabby so all in all my car might head back to the shop to get the panels repainted.

Last edited by joshoowa; 01-10-06 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-10-06, 07:54 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

and now for some pix:

u can tell that its slighty off right here..sorry for the angle i was leaning againt my lawn mower

Old 01-10-06, 08:14 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good with no front plate
Old 01-10-06, 08:18 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

The repairs look great on film/dig. pics! Sounds like you recieved some very good pricing on the work done.
Old 01-10-06, 08:32 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Car looking very nice.. Now i can see a close up of the TTE lip. Looks very good... Now after the paint cures how about a clear bra to protect that new paint...

Tony
Old 01-11-06, 03:44 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

The more I see the TTE lip the more I really like it. I think it makes the front of the GS a lot cleaner. Great job
Old 01-11-06, 03:48 AM
DjFergi
Lexus Test Driver

Very nice work!! I think I'm going for the TTE lip in the spring.
Old 01-11-06, 05:44 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like they did a bang up Job man, the lip might be have liitle gap but if anyone bends down to look at it and mentions its off kick them while they'll bent over...LOL I hate people that nick pick stuff. I think the front of your car is clean but at the same time evil with those headlights, congrats man. and doesn't it feel great to have a freshly painted hood?
Old 01-11-06, 08:52 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

looks great man congrats
totally changes your cars appearence
Old 01-11-06, 08:55 AM
Agent$mith
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice job man. I was debating on getting my license plates holes filled, but I got 2 no front license plate tickets in a 3month period. The cop was an a$$, but iono if I'll keep getting pulled over for it. What shop did you go to? I like the way the tte lip looks.
Old 01-11-06, 10:41 AM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

front looks awesome...hopefully my TTE lip will look as great when I finally get around to painting it and getting it installed.
Old 01-11-06, 10:47 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks very clean. how did you hook up your fogs to light up without the headlights on?? please share this info with us.
Old 01-11-06, 12:56 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by joshoowa
i dropped my car off at the shop last monday to get some stuff worked on

list of things done:

-they fixed the very bottom part of the front bumper, because it was warped during my run in with a racoon. (GS 1 - Racoon 0)
-also because of the racoon i needed to use jonathancl's "Reparing a GS Bumper (2001)" thread to fix my front bumper grille part; i let the shop bond all the cracks though.
-had license plate holes filled/removed
-and the most obvious TTE lip installed using adhesive tape... its holding on pretty damn good
-had my hood repainted, and ltuned grille repainted
-lastly, my rear bumper got into a hit and run, the f-er left a little mark directly in the center of my bumper. the shop repaired it but only needed to paint above the chrome strip?? i dont know but it turned out excellent

price:
$230 for front bumper w/ repairs and tte lip installed, painted
$150 repaint hood, and ltuned grille
$80 for repair and repaint above chrome strip on rear bumper
____
$460
$10 additional discount
____
$450 grand total.

heres the down part, the shop told me that the paint didnt match up as well as they expected. he told me on the front bumper, above the chrome strip, where it meets the quarter panel was slightly off. i went to go look at it and it was off but i didnt think it was that bad.. i dont understand how they got the rest of the paint to match though?? the shop told me that they need to work on the quarter panels to make it match.. i said ok how much? he told me he'll give me a discount, 50 bucks each panel 100 total... not too shabby so all in all my car might head back to the shop to get the panels repainted.

Josh the downside to Diamond and Crystal white is that whenever you paint a panel you have to blend the panels adjacent to make the paint match, example: if you painted your drivers door you would need to paint the rear door, the fender and part of the a pillar, did you say your TTE lip was attatched with tape , keep us posted on how it holds.
Old 01-11-06, 01:44 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corkycal
looks very clean. how did you hook up your fogs to light up without the headlights on?? please share this info with us.
I believe his headlights are on.....
Old 01-11-06, 02:50 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Looking good again man!!

Quick Reply: just got my car back from the shop...