GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Got a wierd problem. CL members please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-06, 01:51 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Got a wierd problem. CL members please help

I just picked up my car last week and the dealership where I picked it up only had one master key and thats it. Now the key works fine I've even replaced the battery. But there is something wierd with the alarm. When I turn off the car and I get out close the door and try to activate the alarm it wont go on. I have to open the door, press lock on the power door lock switch and then I can activate the alarm. What the heck is that about?? Also when I try to open the door with the key, even if the alarm is or isnt activated I cant open the door with the key. Not the driver door or the passenger door. What is the reason for this? Please help me out.
Old 01-04-06, 02:35 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder78
I just picked up my car last week and the dealership where I picked it up only had one master key and thats it. Now the key works fine I've even replaced the battery. But there is something wierd with the alarm. When I turn off the car and I get out close the door and try to activate the alarm it wont go on. I have to open the door, press lock on the power door lock switch and then I can activate the alarm. What the heck is that about?? Also when I try to open the door with the key, even if the alarm is or isnt activated I cant open the door with the key. Not the driver door or the passenger door. What is the reason for this? Please help me out.
if you don't mind me asking? what do you mean by activating the alarm?

if im right, once you lock the car, the alarm should be activated. The problem with the alarm is that it will only go off if the door is opened. The window can be broken and the alarm won't go off. I believe that this is a problem that Luxlink described on their site. Hence, they created the luxlink alarm which is much more secure. You should look into the luxlink remote start and alarm which works right off your factory master key.

anyways... getting back to the point, the alarm should be set once the car is locked.

the problem with the key not being able to open the door is a bit more confusing. I can lock and unlock my door using my key directly so I can't help you out there. It must be an electrical problem.

Also, you can purchase extra keys from Lexus. Purchase another one to keep as a spare and you can set it using somes steps that can be found somewhere on CL. Someone will bring it up for you if you ask for it or use the SEARCH feature and im sure you'll find the thread that tells you how to setup a new key.
Old 01-04-06, 04:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

when you press the button to arm the car, does the car beep? if so, are you saying it beeps but doesn't lock the door? if so, that's the door actuator gone bad, not common but happens to quite a few members. you gotta replace it
Old 01-04-06, 04:15 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a bad actuator....It happen to me I had to replace the unit. Not easy but not really hard either..
Old 01-04-06, 06:51 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Could be as simple as not being programmed correctly. Search the site here, there are steps to follow to program the fob to your car. It's quite a dance you have to go through but it might just solve you problem.
Old 01-05-06, 11:02 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

well what I mean is when you get out the car. You press the lock button to turn on the alarm. Well mine sometimes turns on but most of the time it doesnt. It doesn't beep or do anything else. So I open the door press lock and close the door. When I do that and now I press lock the alarm activates and flashes. The doors open fine from the alarm but when I put the key and turn there is absolutely no response I stand there and hold the key on the door, but I take the key out and press the unlock button than the doors open. What the heck is that about? Also where can I find the correct programming instructions I have found several but I dont know which one is the right one.
Old 01-05-06, 11:26 AM
amul
Rookie

gotta stop smoking the doobidge

So you are saying that when you physically turn the key in the key hole, the doors do not open ever? Both doors do not open with the key?

sounds like a logic problem with the "controller" that handles door and alarm functions.

Also, your alarm arms/disarms only if you first press the lock button on the driver side door panel?

again this is pointing to some controller problem and not a physical actuator.

Something needs to be reset. Did you try disconnecting the battery again? Maybe leave it disconnect for a longer period and see if works.

Last edited by amul; 01-05-06 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-05-06, 12:15 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well mine sometimes turns on but most of the time it doesnt. It doesn't beep or do anything else. So I open the door press lock and close the door. When I do that and now I press lock the alarm activates and flashes..
Do hear the motorized locks moving at least, even though the lights dont flash and the beep doesnt sound? Mine has been doing the same thing for about 2 months now, and I found that the rear drivers side door was not locking....I would have to manually switch it into lock position, close it, and then press the key in order for the alarm to work (i.e. beep, lights flash, and other three doors actually lock).

When the lights dont flash, and the alarm doesnt beep, its always because that rear door lock is not in the "locked" position, so I have to do it manually (which is every few days or so). Ive just ordered the door actuator from one of our CL vendors for $189.
Old 01-05-06, 12:27 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

all doors lock. there is no problem from the actuators as I have checked. But both doors have absolutely no reaction when I turn the key in the driver door or passenger door. But yea you get the idea. In order for the alram to disarm it needs to be armed right. Well when I get out the car and try to lock it or unlock the trunk it doesnt work until I press lock on the power door lock switch and than it works like normal. I havent tried unhooking the battery but I will try. What do you think leaving it unplugged for an hour will be enough?
Old 01-05-06, 01:00 PM
amul
Rookie

all doors lock. there is no problem from the actuators as I have checked. But both doors have absolutely no reaction when I turn the key in the driver door or passenger door. But yea you get the idea. In order for the alram to disarm it needs to be armed right. Well when I get out the car and try to lock it or unlock the trunk it doesnt work until I press lock on the power door lock switch and than it works like normal. I havent tried unhooking the battery but I will try. What do you think leaving it unplugged for an hour will be enough?

You verifed from another members question above about the all door acutators working.
It's pointing to some logic issue . Such a weird problem.

I think if you disconnect the battery, not just pull the ECU fuse, you will for sure shut down whatever modules which controls the door functions. An hour should be good enough I would think.
If hooking the battery up again doesn't work, I would have it checked out.

When I purchased my car, both master keys were missing. I only had a valet. They replaced the ECU at that time as well so I think the ECU could have something to do with this.

Does your car start all the time ok?

Last edited by amul; 01-05-06 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-05-06, 10:41 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

yea starts up fine. Funny thing is, I can open the trunk with the key.
Old 01-06-06, 02:09 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you had this problem ever since you bought the car or just when you replaced the battery?
Old 01-06-06, 09:38 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

since I bought it.
Old 01-07-06, 02:58 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

reset the battery.Unplugged both the negative and positive for an hour. Put the key back in and my oddometer didnt reset?? Thats wierd when I did it on my accord the trip oddometer reset and everything was erased. but on the Gs I had to reprogram the radio and set the clock everything else was like it was before. now everything is still the same, but when i sometimes close the door all of the windows now open what the hell??????? somebody please help.
Old 01-07-06, 07:31 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Whoa!! Something is messed up. The only way I can get all of my windows to go down at once is via the fob by pressing and holding the unlock button down. I'm beginning to think your key fob is bad. This is very stranger behavior, there's nothing more difficult to diagnose than electrical issues.

Quick Reply: Got a wierd problem. CL members please help