GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Driving in the snow and snow pack

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-05, 06:36 AM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving in the snow and snow pack

I just purchased 4 Yokahama Avid V4s.

I understand I should have some issues accelerating with a RWD car, that doesn't bother me at all. But this thing won't stop for nothing. This morning I slid through an intersection where cars right behind me were able to stop. Then turning into work I almost missed the corner because I couldn't stop, but the Chrysler Concorde in front of me driving at the same speed didn't have any problems.

Is this all GS's not running snow tires or are these tires junk in the snow?

Please respond!!! My 30 day ride guarantee ends on December 10th and I need opinions if I should return them.

Thanks

Michael
Old 12-06-05, 07:45 AM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

I would suggest getting some snow tires. Here in Colorado, my GS does fine with snows, I have the Hankook Ice Bear 300's. I would not leave home with out them.

Accelerating is not the problem because if your smart you would not be going fast in snowy conditions anyhow. I would say starting in the snow is the hard part.

I also have my snows on a set of 16 in rims. IMO the GS just has too much power even with the snow setting on to have all seasons. I can get my 16's to spin on the snow with the snow setting on and feathering the gas.

What wheel size are you running? 17's will make driving in the winter pretty scarry as you just saw.

I would get some dedicated Snow tires. That will keep you from spending money on bent rims, bumper repairs and alignment sessions. Either way good luck.
Old 12-06-05, 07:46 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

my brother has those tires (yoko avids) on his integra. absolutely useless in the snow

Last edited by Benjamin T; 12-06-05 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-06-05, 07:47 AM
lostinthew
Driver

Get the snows! You will struggle all winter and have more close calls, so go to http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp and read the research on what's best. I grew up driving RWD cars and I won't go through a Chicago winter without them.

Good luck!
Old 12-06-05, 08:10 AM
IAGS400
Pole Position

I have 16" stock wheels running the stock size 225/55R16. I used the tire rack to decide on these tires and they were rated 2nd best in the "performance all season category".

I have driven RWD cars most of my life and prefer to stay that way. (Monte Carlo, Regal, 2 Culasses, 2 Thunderbirds, MR2)

With this setup it seems as if acceleration is better than stoping. This has NEVER been the case for me before.

Another instance, I pulled into a snow packed parking lot traveling only 3-5 mph and couldn't stop in the parking spot I had chosen. 2 minutes later as I was leaving a minivan pulled in at a faster speed and stopped without any locking of the tires, I watched to see how it did.

Are there any all-season tires that can stop in the snow? I really don't want to do 2 sets of tires and possibly rims.
Old 12-06-05, 08:21 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

well... maybe continential contiextremecontact might be a choice for an all-season tire. i've used those before on a different (but non-RWD car) and it worked well.

i am also on hankook icebear w300's and i'm doing well thanks
Old 12-06-05, 08:37 AM
IS0LD0UT
Lead Lap

16" blizzacks and the gs will handle like a dream.
Old 12-06-05, 09:35 AM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

My Hankooks 225/50 16's corner almost as good as my 245/45 17 Z rated Khumos. My Gf also has them on her Acura TL type S in the 17 in variation and they corner like a dream on her car too.

I think its worth the hassle of 2 sets of tires. Your GS will survive stops way better, especially if that is your only problem.

Your other option is driving in the snow at the 3-5 mph that you were mentioning above.

Old 12-06-05, 09:36 AM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Benjamin T
well... maybe continential contiextremecontact might be a choice for an all-season tire.

I wanted to get these but the local prices was 50% higher than TireRack. I personally don't like the idea of buying a tire on the internet and then having them installed locally. If you have an issue who do you deal with. I know people who had horror stories about dealing with the 2 entities. $400 vs $600 is a big deal to me.

I have a set of Dayton Winterforce 225/60R16 that are currently on a set of wheels for my SuperCoupe. I could use these, but I didn't really like these tires and don't know how much they will change the speedometer on the GS.

The did a great job in braking and acceleration in all winter conditions. But were very poor dry handling conditions, good for most plain cars. Not good on the SC and probably the GS also.
Old 12-06-05, 10:24 AM
IAGS400
Pole Position

I also have a 50 lbs. of ice melt in the trunk for traction.
Old 12-06-05, 08:26 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of Blizzak W50's and the car handles great in the snow. Stops and starts just fine, suprisingly good actually. I think with a car like this it's a must to have a set of snows and a set of summer tires, especially if you live n the snow belt.
I got lucky, my dealer thinks the same thing and throws in a set of snows with every rear drive Lexus they sell. Now thats quality!
Old 12-07-05, 08:22 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I will never forget my trip to New Hamshire in the GS400 4 years ago. I had the stock 17's with Dunlop SP sport 5000 all season tires at the time. It was about 5 plus inches of snow and still falling, and the roads were not plowed. I was trying to get on the highway on ramp( in snow mode), and the car kept slipping and sliding and would not progress. the vsc was going haywire. The vsc onltpulsates the brakes to assist in the car losing control, and the traction control is usless in treacherous winter conditions. Snow tires is the way to go, or like me get a 4x4. Never again will I drive the GS in heavy snow.
Old 12-07-05, 03:50 PM
gregor4
Driver School Candidate

I just put on four Dunlop Graspic DS-2's on my old stock 16 inchers. My wife had to drive the GS home last weekend in very heavy snow (I was riding shotgun, toasted) and the GS handled as well as her SUV 4x4. Even climbing our steep driveway with heavy snow the VSC rarely activates. After driving the car myself in heavy snow with the Dunlops, I would not hesitate to drive this car in deep snow or ice. The winter tires stop very well too.
Old 12-07-05, 08:06 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

I run 4 studded Hankooks here in Alaska. The car gets around just fine. Actually, as far as a high HP, rear wheel drive goes, it may be the best I've driven. With that said, I will admit that it is not the ideal car for winter driving. Driving on snow, snow packed and ice requires different driving skills, try to learn them and adjust.
Old 12-09-05, 11:10 AM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Well, I had a 30 day ride guarantee from Tires Plus. Tires Plus said since I picked the tires, they shouldn't have to give the guarantee. Then I told them that Yokohama had one also. He said I was wrong and that the V4s didn't. He called back and confirmed that I could return them.

So I did a bunch of research and decided I should get some snow tires. But I didn't want 2 sets of snow tires. So I took a chance and called back Tires Plus and asked if I had to buy another set? They took back the Yokohama's and didn't make me buy another set. So I put the winterforce tires that I had on it. Handling is down but traction is way up. Wow they do make the difference.

Now I got to decide what I am going to do in March-April.

Buy new tires and
1. switch back and forth on same rims
2. buy some factory 16's (silver or chrome)
3. buy some factory 17's (silver or chrome)
4. custom wheels 16,17 or 18

At least now I have a few months to decide.

Quick Reply: Driving in the snow and snow pack