GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS 300/400 owners come inside and be honest

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-05, 04:50 PM
Ducky
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS 300/400 owners come inside and be honest

How are ya guys. New member here and pretty close to buying a gs400 as my new daily driver. Now, I'm in nyc/nj and do most of my driving here. Winter is just around the corner and I want you guys to tell me how it is driving this car in the snow. BE HONEST! be straight up with me.

The best tires i've used for winter/all season is the continental extreme contacts and will be using those tires all around the year. lets hear em!
Old 11-30-05, 05:03 PM
1st-Lex
Driver

Originally Posted by Ducky
How are ya guys. New member here and pretty close to buying a gs400 as my new daily driver. Now, I'm in nyc/nj and do most of my driving here. Winter is just around the corner and I want you guys to tell me how it is driving this car in the snow. BE HONEST! be straight up with me.

The best tires i've used for winter/all season is the continental extreme contacts and will be using those tires all around the year. lets hear em!

First off welcome to CL.I am new also,& just bought an 01 GS 300,never had it in the snow,i got this car after i totaled my 04 G35,My G went no where in the snow RWD.These GS's are also RWD,so i would imagine they to suck in the snow.
Old 11-30-05, 05:07 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

yeah the GS is not made for snow... even with the snow mode on, these cars slip and slide.

i still love my GS but when winter comes, the GS stays in the driveway and i roll around in my parents' pathfinder...

i think they're trying to trade the 4runner and the pathfinder and get a GX470.
Old 11-30-05, 05:54 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I live in Chicago and have been driving rear wheel drive cars all my life. From 87-93 I drove an 87 Mustang GT, from 93-99 a 93 300zx, from 99-02 a 323i, and from 04 to the present a 98 and 99 GS400. Of all the cars I've driven, the BMW was the best in the snow, and by far the 300zx was the worst. The GS400 is only slightly below the BMW in terms of winter driving. If you know how to drive a rear wheel drive car, you'll be fine, provided that you have a good set of winter rims/tires. If you're running low profile high performance summer tires, you'll have a bit of a problem (as you would in most cars). The VSC and snow mode really do help control the car.
Old 11-30-05, 05:56 PM
Ducky
Rookie

Sigh....I do not want to have 2 cars that I can't drive in the snow...how bad is it? Is it manageable? In other words, who thinks the GS is UNDRIVEABLE in the snow? I think I could manage driving a RWD car in snow, but i duno how the GS is in snow.
Old 11-30-05, 05:58 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

I love my GS. (Some might call it an unhealthy love.)

That said, the GS is pretty weak in the snow.

I had it all last winter, and I simply didn't drive it until the roads were clear.

I drove it once in the snow (with ContiExtCont), and after sliding through an intersection instead of turning, I decided not to do that anymore.

I'll try again this year with the PZeroNeroM&S, but from what I've read, it won't be much better.
Old 11-30-05, 06:13 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Maybe it's just me, but I just don't find it that bad in the snow. If you're sliding through intersections, that has nothing to do with the fact that the car is rear wheel drive, but has more to do with your tires and/or that you're driving a little too fast for conditions. Even all wheel drive cars don't stop any better than rear wheel drive cars. Yeah, front wheel drive is better (and all wheel or 4 wheel drive is the best), but as long as you have 16s with all season or snow tires and take it easy, you should be fine.
Old 11-30-05, 06:15 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Here are a few winter threads I have bookmarked (you could also find these by using the search feature on our forum - please give it a shot as there are many more).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=102940 (Recent Experiences)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=97253 (NE Driving Recommendations)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=30388 (Snow and Ice how to)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=75306 (What to do with snow & ice)
Old 11-30-05, 07:06 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

I've driven worse and I've driven better over 21 Alaskan winters. The GS with VERY good snow tires, a light foot and knowing how to drive in adverse conditions is all it takes to get around. We do have pretty good road crews here and they keep the roads up, gotta give 'em credit. I live out in a semi-remote area and I commute 62 miles one way to work. Many times I'm out before the plows reach our neighborhood and the GS is doing just fine. I don't believe we have the severe icy conditions you may encounter back east so take my thoughts with that in mind.
Old 11-30-05, 07:38 PM
Ducky
Rookie

DaveGS4, thank you for the links!! SEARCH is everyone's freind I guess there's only one way to find out. Drive it! Close this thread, since there's previous threads about my topic. Sorry for the inconvenience moderators and admins!!!
Old 11-30-05, 07:58 PM
DuttyLeXus
Pole Position

well i live in new york and to be honest the gs+winter doesnt add up. I got stuck tons of times thoughout my first winter and the second i just learned my lesson and parked it rite up.........as of this winter its not seein a 1/4 of inch snow either......however i figure with some good snow tires and some skillful rwd tatics it could withstand it but i dont even want to risk it.
Old 11-30-05, 08:11 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

i drove the gs400 for the first time in the snow the last few days, but it was only 1-2 inches deep. it was also my first time in the snow with a RWD car. i'm running my 17's with hankook icebear w300's and so far nothing exciting to report. but tomorrow it's calling for sub-zero temps and lots of black ice, so things could get more interesting... watch this space.
Old 11-30-05, 09:12 PM
ocean350
Driver

the 3rd-gen GS come with all-wheel drive, right?
if snow is a concern for u, u should go with the 3rd-gen
that's my take.
however, i do live in N.California...
Old 11-30-05, 10:20 PM
chanmannyhc
Driver

here we go again. I have personally driven rear wheel drive most of my life. I had a 240sx, 2gen rx7, old volvo, and the GS never had a problem with it in the snow. one thing is allseason tires suk, if you want to drive in snow get winter tires, and always plan alternate route to avoid steep inclines. thats pretty much it
ps Limited slip diff. also help in the snow alot I recommend a 1 or 1.5, 2 way lockup if you really know how to drive
Old 12-01-05, 06:15 AM
DuttyLeXus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chanmannyhc
here we go again. I have personally driven rear wheel drive most of my life. I had a 240sx, 2gen rx7, old volvo, and the GS never had a problem with it in the snow. one thing is allseason tires suk, if you want to drive in snow get winter tires, and always plan alternate route to avoid steep inclines. thats pretty much it
ps Limited slip diff. also help in the snow alot I recommend a 1 or 1.5, 2 way lockup if you really know how to drive
have u ever try driving ur gs through 5-8inches of snow?

Quick Reply: GS 300/400 owners come inside and be honest