GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

after lowering with ltuned springs and shocks...

Old 11-23-05, 10:48 PM
daltexlex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default after lowering with ltuned springs and shocks...

the lexus dealership did a 4 wheel alignment after i had the l-tuned springs and shocks installed. they said they maxed the camber adjustment out and still have negative camber front and rear.

i know negative camber for a race car is a good thing for corning but won't my tires get uneven wear if the camber is negative? i think the inside of the tires is going to wear out. if anyone else has experienced this with l-tuned lowering spring and shocks, please advise.

greg- plano, tx
Old 11-23-05, 11:22 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The L-Tuned suspension shouldn't lower the car enough to affect the camber too bad. How's the ride? Is it close to stock?
Old 11-24-05, 02:27 AM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I have the same pronblem with my GS400.
Old 11-24-05, 06:01 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Yea i think the l-tuned SS shouldn't affect it that much... Your only going down a 1'' in height so you should be fine... Alot of guys go beyond that threshold of a inch like 2'' and beyond.... Just keep the proper alignment ,tire pressure etc... and you should be ok...

T
Old 11-24-05, 06:03 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the same setup with 19's and I don't have any camber problems

Think about a camber kit?

Good Luck

Jonny
Old 11-24-05, 06:19 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the shop says they are still out of alignment then I guess you have to beleive them or get a second opinion elsewhere. Without meeting the specs your tires will wear unevenly, how much and how fast is yet to been seen. I second the opinion to locate a set of camber adjusters.
Old 11-24-05, 06:22 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GWELEX
If the shop says they are still out of alignment then I guess you have to beleive them or get a second opinion elsewhere. Without meeting the specs your tires will wear unevenly, how much and how fast is yet to been seen. I second the opinion to locate a set of camber adjusters.
I thought there is no aftermarket camber kit for our cars....
Old 11-24-05, 06:32 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chuckb
I thought there is no aftermarket camber kit for our cars....
I have no clue if a kit is available for the GS or not. I had this same issue with a previous car I lowered and unfortunately there was no kit available for it. Front tires were wore out in 15K. Funny thing was, to the naked eye the looked perfectly vertical.
Old 11-24-05, 06:44 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

slight negative camber was built into the design of this car from stock form/height to aid in the stability of the car.. once you lower it a inch or 2 inches you are moving the neg camber more towards the max of adjustment and right to the edge of being in or out of spec..

as long as you are not over -1.1 on either side you are fine in regards to tire wear.. make sure you up the tire pressure to 38-40lbs and that helps keep the wear off of the inner tread..

what you dont want is 0 camber or positive camber for then each time you go into a corner the tires will roll under from standing straight up and down

believe it or not when i take mine in for alignment i tell the tech where to set my camber and how to neutralize my camber and how to set my sai and toe
Old 11-24-05, 05:10 PM
daltexlex
Driver

the ride is very nice. i still have my factory chrome 17" wheels so that helps allot. i would say the ride feel is very close to the stock feel. also the sound of the L-tuned bolt on mufflers is very close to the stock sound, which i was also happy about.

i can definitely notice a difference, but a subtle difference. i would recommend both the lowering spring and shocks and the mufflers for anyone considering it ( if you don't mind spending the $1,500.00 to do it ).
Old 11-24-05, 05:11 PM
daltexlex
Driver

i also have 245/45 instead of the 235/35 that came on the car. that softens the ride a bit also.
Old 11-24-05, 05:31 PM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by daltexlex
the lexus dealership did a 4 wheel alignment after i had the l-tuned springs and shocks installed. they said they maxed the camber adjustment out and still have negative camber front and rear.

i know negative camber for a race car is a good thing for corning but won't my tires get uneven wear if the camber is negative? i think the inside of the tires is going to wear out. if anyone else has experienced this with l-tuned lowering spring and shocks, please advise.

greg- plano, tx

i really dont see how this is possible. i bought the ltuned springs & shocks and had it installed by a lexus dealer and there were no issues w/ camber. then i got the Apexi WS Coilovers and lowered the front about 2 inches and raised the rear about 1 inch..and still had no camber probs. I think u should get a second opinion...or else something might be off in your suspension.
Old 11-24-05, 08:11 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by daltexlex
i also have 245/45 instead of the 235/35 that came on the car. that softens the ride a bit also.
They had 235/35/17 on the car before? I think the OEM size is 235/45. 245/45 is also a good size which gives you the same diameter as the OEM 16s on 225/55. As for camber, when I had the L-Tuned, the dealer did not have any issues when aligning the car.
Old 11-24-05, 10:04 PM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my L-Tuned springs and shocks put on at Davenport in Plano and they had no problem with aligning the car. They said it was only very slightly out of alignment after the install. Who did your install and alignment?
Old 11-25-05, 12:30 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasGS
I had my L-Tuned springs and shocks put on at Davenport in Plano and they had no problem with aligning the car. They said it was only very slightly out of alignment after the install. Who did your install and alignment?
Same here....up front was off by 0.1 degree off spec...and rear was within spec.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: after lowering with ltuned springs and shocks...