GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

leaving A/C on after car shuts off

Old 07-27-01, 01:05 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does leaving A/C on after car shuts off do any bad to the car? Recently it's been very hot and I do this to have the A/C start right after my car starts. Is it bad?
Old 07-27-01, 03:40 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should turn it off when you crank the car.... I make sure that ALL electronics are off before starting the car, Its easier on the engine during start up..You might as well turn it all off before shutting off the engine as well...Tiny
Old 07-27-01, 05:19 AM
Ira Senoff
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not bad for the engine, per se, but it may put a slight extra load on the starter at start-up ONLY IF the charging system has been lax in maintaining the battery. If your alternator and battery are in good working order and you have not added so many extra electronics as to exceed the alternator's normal output (normal amperage use exceeding charging capacit) you are fine. I have had IASCA competition systems in all of my cars for the past 11 years and never had a problem SO LONG AS you remain cognizant of amperage need and ability of the charging system to meet the need. Otherwise, every owner's manual in the world would tell you to shut everything down before turning the car off and on.

SIDE NOTE:Currently, my GS 400 is under construction for the Pro Class and plan to debut it at the NJ State Championship IASCA event on Aug 12. 600 watt system, 90 amp PEAK draw, 35-40 average, 10-12 nominal amp draw, no new alternator or battery
Old 07-27-01, 06:51 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Ira Senoff
It is not bad for the engine, per se, but it may put a slight extra load on the starter at start-up ONLY IF the charging system has been lax in maintaining the battery. If your alternator and battery are in good working order and you have not added so many extra electronics as to exceed the alternator's normal output (normal amperage use exceeding charging capacit) you are fine. I have had IASCA competition systems in all of my cars for the past 11 years and never had a problem SO LONG AS you remain cognizant of amperage need and ability of the charging system to meet the need. Otherwise, every owner's manual in the world would tell you to shut everything down before turning the car off and on.

SIDE NOTE:Currently, my GS 400 is under construction for the Pro Class and plan to debut it at the NJ State Championship IASCA event on Aug 12. 600 watt system, 90 amp PEAK draw, 35-40 average, 10-12 nominal amp draw, no new alternator or battery
Hey man thats cool your car is in the show ! Ya think you can provide hookups to get VIP in the show to your fellow clublexus people? I will check it out !

Old 07-27-01, 07:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
Does leaving A/C on after car shuts off do any bad to the car? Recently it's been very hot and I do this to have the A/C start right after my car starts. Is it bad?
No need to turn it off. The car is designed to have A/C on all the time.
Old 07-27-01, 09:45 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

heh:eek: i'm getting a 2-sided response.

I guess I'll do both then. Thanks guys!
Old 07-27-01, 10:02 AM
MrHorse
Pole Position

Default Cutoff..

As far as I remember, I've read somewhere that the AC clutch disingages when the car is off, and doesn't hook up again until a few seconds after an engine start. So, leaving the AC on shouldn't affect cranking the V8.
Old 07-27-01, 10:05 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Ray,

the problem is not when you turn-off the car. as others have said, when you first crank-up the car in the morning, that is when future problem and stress that would be bad. for me, even after i start the car in the morning, i try not to turn-on the a/c until the engine warms up a bit.

i though irvine is not as hot as up here?:eek:

will
Old 07-27-01, 10:42 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by gs4will
Ray,

the problem is not when you turn-off the car. as others have said, when you first crank-up the car in the morning, that is when future problem and stress that would be bad. for me, even after i start the car in the morning, i try not to turn-on the a/c until the engine warms up a bit.

i though irvine is not as hot as up here?:eek:

will

OIC.

I live in Cerritos which is between Irvine and Diamond Bar. Recently it's up to 97 degrees during lunchtime. Anything over 80 is hot for me. j.k
Old 07-27-01, 10:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

as others have said, when you first crank-up the car in the morning, that is when future problem and stress that would be bad. for me, even after i start the car in the morning, i try not to turn-on the a/c until the engine warms up a bit.
What makes you think this is bad??!? The car is DESIGNED to handle these stresses. Do you not drive the car over 3000rpm because you're worried about stress on the engine, also?

The V8 in the GS4 is a TANK.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-27-01 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-27-01, 11:33 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

i am just giving Ray(didn't you see the addressee?) my personal driving habits and perspective as i try not to stress the engine when it is cold, and that is how i pemper my car.

some people say you do not need to wax today's car because of the better paint quality. yet some of our members including myself spend several hours detailing our cars. are you going to ask them "what makes you think it is bad for NOT waxing the car?"

the key word here is stress. and i try not to impose that on both the car, and my babe, no matter how tolerant they are. anything wrong with taking it easy with the TANK.

i have never/tried to object others feedback since day one, is there any need for the sarcasm?
Old 07-27-01, 11:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i am just giving Ray(didn't you see the addressee?) my personal driving habits ...
If you only want Ray to see it, send a PM. This is a public forum, I can comment on your message.

some people say you do not need to wax today's car because of the better paint quality. yet some of our members including myself spend several hours detailing our cars. are you going to ask them "what makes you think it is bad for NOT waxing the car?"
Funny you should mention that - yes, I think waxing a Lexus is basically a waste of time unless you car competes in shows.

the key word here is stress. and i try not to impose that on both the car, and my babe, no matter how tolerant they are. anything wrong with taking it easy with the TANK.
Why buy the car if you never intend to stress it?

i have never/tried to object others feedback since day one, is there any need for the sarcasm?
I didn't consider what I said sarcasm. And you just objected to my feedback.

Do you own a car cover too?

Do you shift to neutral and coast down hills to avoid stressing the engine?

Do you worry over whether it's less stressful to downshift or apply the brakes?

OK, now I'm being sarcastic.
Old 07-27-01, 12:19 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

the answers to all your questions are yah...and...

i don't stress the car when it is cold, or when i choose not to. that disqualifies me from automobile ownership? i did not know such is stated in the constitution. you choose to stress your ride that way you like it, did i question you? i am certain many members on board also try not to stress their cars and have car covers, are you going to send them the same message.

i can't direct my comment to RAY? why don't you go ahead and remove it? tons of fellow members address their private message in the open forum, i am sure you see something you detest. why don't you go ahead and remove them all. or go around your hood and tell whoever is waxing his/her valuable possessions that they are wasting time.

i can't beleive a comment to my bud RAY desreves this much attention.

can i have fellow members' attention please:

to all who seek my limited and humble knowledge when it comes to cars, please only use PM. i am forever banned from addressing your question on the open "public" forum, not by Michael, but another member.
Old 07-27-01, 01:50 PM
Alewifebp
Driver

I personally don't think it's a bad thing in a car like our Lexus. In most other cars, the components stay on while you are starting them. But since the GS is all automatic with the operation, it seems to ramp up the use. If you notice when you start your car for the first time, and you left the A/C on, it first starts out with no fan at all, and then ramps it up as necessary. It works the same for winter, where it starts out at nothing, and after the car warms up, then gives you heat.

It's almost a personal preference. In other cars that don't do that, I've always turned off the A/C. But in the Lex, I leave it on all the time.
Old 07-27-01, 01:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry you're so sensitive man.

i don't stress the car when it is cold, or when i choose not to. that disqualifies me from automobile ownership?
No - did I say it did? I'm just to let you know that you don't need to be so worried about stressing the car, that's all.

i did not know such is stated in the constitution.
Now who's being sarcastic?

As far as directing comments - that's fine, like I'm directing my comments to you, but if someone wants to comment on my comments to you, that's fine, it's a public forum. And no, I can't remove any messages.

to all who seek my limited and humble knowledge when it comes to cars, please only use PM. i am forever banned from addressing your question on the open "public" forum, not by Michael, but another member.
That really isn't necessary. No one has banned you. You can direct comments to anyone, but you can't expect that no one BUT the person you direct comments to will respond. Chill out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: leaving A/C on after car shuts off