GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My Purchase and Price

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-01, 02:09 AM
GouxMan

I just bought a new GS 300 on 7-20-01. I'd like to relay the details of the purchase for anyone interested on this forum.
I used the "Motley Fool" method, as prescribed on their website. I believe I got a good price, learned something about each dealership and had fun doing it. I recommend it.
Basically, it works like this: You download a list of dealerships and their phone numbers within a 100 mile radius of your house.(19 in my case) MF provides a cover letter to fax or email to the "fleet" or "internet" salesman, stating your intent to buy and the options you want. After your faxathon you sit back and watch the faxes and emails come in, as the dealers compete against themselves. You give special attention to the salesman that let you test drive the car, but when the bottom line is concerned, you pick your lowest bids and allow them to go another round(or two). Then it is up to you to pick your favorite and award the sale.
You can really get a feel for which dealerships you like, and the ones you want to steer clear of, based on these interactions. I'm in So Cal, and would like to take a moment to recommend 3 dealers I thought offered superior service. I would have loved to have given my business to all three: Oxnard(Scott Conklin), Mission Viejo(internet), and Longo in El Monte(Marc Evans). Anyone wishing to know who I did not care for can email me at GouxMan@hotmail.com
Here are my specifics: 2001 GS 300, Gold, Premium Package, Chrome Wheels, "port installed" wheel locks, cargo net and trunk mat. Sales tax at 7%.
Car cost: $38,801. With fees out the door: $41,900
The winner: Longo
I'm enjoying the car and looking forward to a long and pleasurable owning experience. I was absolutely exhilarated testdriving the 430 but could not justify the $7500 differential in price. I did extensive research into every brand and settled on this car. BMW claims to be "The ultimate driving machine", but I could tell it would not have been "the ultimate owning experience", not by a long shot. That award goes to Lexus.
Cheers, GouxMan
Old 07-30-01, 11:36 AM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got similar pricing as well by using the same method:

Date of purchase: 11/15/00
Model: 01 GS300
Color: Mystic Sea Opalescent
Options: Premium package, mats, wheel locks, non chrome rims

Price: $37,900 at Serramonte Lexus

I think the reason I had a slightly better pricing is:

I was tracking their inventory knowing that the car just rolled off the truck a day ago before my purchase date(seats are still wrapped up and no one has test driven it yet except me ..only had 9 miles on the car)...As a result, the dealer was able to do better on pricing since they only paid a day of interest.

Btw, My buddy and I always call BMW "The ultimate fixing machine"

Just my 2cents...