GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Ipod integration with stock navi

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-05, 02:43 AM
ASPLS430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipod integration with stock navi

I know this subject has been breached a number of times, but after searching I couldnt find which is the best or seemless integration with the stock navi. Ive searched all over the web and came back with several systems ranging from $300-800 for ipod integration into the stock audio system. Some attach to aux input? others replace stock CD changer input. Im currently using an ipod mini using a cassette adapter, but getting loads of engine noise and quality seems diminished. Ive upgraded the stock audio with Focals all the way around and JL amps and sub. It sounds great with the CD changer but Id like to utilize my ipod. So if you guys can point me in the right direction as to which aftermarket system works great with the stock navigation it be great. Thanks in advance
Old 10-23-05, 06:20 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default VaisTech

Originally Posted by BozzGS3

I know this subject has been breached a number of times, but after searching I couldnt find which is the best or seemless integration with the stock navi. Ive searched all over the web and came back with several systems ranging from $300-800 for ipod integration into the stock audio system. Some attach to aux input? others replace stock CD changer input. Im currently using an ipod mini using a cassette adapter, but getting loads of engine noise and quality seems diminished. Ive upgraded the stock audio with Focals all the way around and JL amps and sub. It sounds great with the CD changer but Id like to utilize my ipod. So if you guys can point me in the right direction as to which aftermarket system works great with the stock navigation it be great. Thanks in advance
Try......

http://www.vaistech.com/aic100i.html

~ Cap
Old 10-23-05, 03:49 PM
LXBOY
Driver

Thumbs up Awesome Link

I am thinking of getting it. Does anyone already have one and have it hoked up to their stock navi. It will be awesome, no more cds.
Old 10-23-05, 07:23 PM
jquest2
Pole Position

why not use the fm modulator?
Old 10-23-05, 11:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by jquest2
why not use the fm modulator?
in cities where you get 1001 radio chanels, it's not easy to drive 40 miles and able to stay with teh same "empty" channel.

i personally will try to avoid using the fm module
Old 10-24-05, 12:25 AM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

I just ordered the new iTrip LCD FM transmitter. Supposedly it should work a lot better in the cities compared to the regular itrip. I'll give you guys a full review when i get it this week.

iTrip®
FM Transmitter with LCD for iPod.

The new iTrip retains the same phenomenal industrial design as its predecessor, visually and functionally complementing the iPod. Keeping true to Griffin's essential philosophy of balance of design and ease of use, the new iTrip builds upon this foundation, with several enhancements, superior performance and innovative features never seen before on FM transmitters.

The new iTrip sports a large, easy to read backlit LCD screen to make setting its digital tuner easy and intuitive. A handy **** on the side of the iTrip makes it a breeze to select broadcast frequency: simply turn to the frequency and click the **** to set it. The iTrip remembers its settings for convenience. This compact, self-contained design makes changing stations a snap, perfect for use on the go.

One of iTrip's innovative new features is selectable LX or DX modes of broadcasting (an FM transmitter first). This allows the user to adjust for the absolute best possible audio under real-world conditions. Even in the toughest situations, such as large cities with lots of radio stations crowding the dial, iTrip's DX Mode delivers a noise level that's below that of a cassette tape adapter, allowing the music to punch through cleanly. The results are stunning.

Another new feature (and another FM transmitter first) is the ability to set the iTrip to either US or International tuning modes. International mode allows access to all available frequencies throughout the world. US mode limits tuning to those frequencies relevant to US stations. The result: no unnecessary scrolling through channels.

The new iTrip features volume enhancements, as well, with an auto volume control that works with the iPod's volume level to automatically avoid distortion. If the iPod volume is set too high, iTrip recognizes and corrects it by lowering the volume to its optimum level, assuring clean, clear, dynamic sound.

The iTrip requires no batteries to operate, it draws its power directly from the iPod, so there's never a power issue to silence your tunes.

Made for:
• iPod Photo
• iPod U2 Special Edition
• 4th Generation iPod with Click Wheel
• 3rd Generation iPod with touch wheel and buttons
Old 10-24-05, 01:35 AM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

If you have an amp on your speakers, I would guess you could somehow rig up a system that would have a splitter on the RCA's going to your amp, so you hit a switch and it switches the input on your amp from the normal head unit to your ipod. I dont know what you would use to do that, but it's possible.
Old 10-24-05, 01:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

please keep us posted aliti
Old 10-25-05, 02:07 AM
ASPLS430
Pole Position

Default research

Im using the cassette connector now and it sounds like crap. Ive tried FM mods and sound quality isnt all that great either. Im running Focal speakers and lots of power, Id rather not lose sound quality at all. I think Im going with the AIC 100 as they seem to do only Toyota/Lexus ipod integration. Ive searched on both apple and local dealers and seems most deal with every car except lexus. Denison makes one that replaces your stock CD changer, basically it plugs into the CD port on stock stereo. I dont know if Id want to lose the usage of my CD changer, as sometimes I do like to listen to the original CD. Also like the great backup camera feature that the AIC has.
Old 10-26-05, 10:12 AM
AustinGS4
Rookie

Default iPod integration

Go with Vaistech http://www.vaistech.com/
I tried the tape adapter and it was great for 20 seconds at a time. I tossed it in the garbage.
I bought the iTrip and thought that it sounded like total garbage. Got what I paid for.
I contacted Vaistech and jumped in with both feet despite the cost.
I have never been happier. I totally recommend them.
I researched for 8 months before buying.
Never did find anything else.
Old 10-26-05, 01:36 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AustinGS4
Go with Vaistech http://www.vaistech.com/
I tried the tape adapter and it was great for 20 seconds at a time. I tossed it in the garbage.
I bought the iTrip and thought that it sounded like total garbage. Got what I paid for.
I contacted Vaistech and jumped in with both feet despite the cost.
I have never been happier. I totally recommend them.
I researched for 8 months before buying.
Never did find anything else.
Hey AustinGS4,
Where did you put you Vaistech unit? I have the AIC- 100 and don't where to put it. The Vaistech guys say put it behind the clock/front vents, I tried to stuff it there and no way w/o cutting the metal mounting flang off.
Old 10-26-05, 03:30 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue98Gs3
If you have an amp on your speakers, I would guess you could somehow rig up a system that would have a splitter on the RCA's going to your amp, so you hit a switch and it switches the input on your amp from the normal head unit to your ipod. I dont know what you would use to do that, but it's possible.

Although this would technically work it would bypass any signal modification that you do in your head unit. Like a high pass filter or any other eq stuff.

Maybe get an external EQ with a secondary input?
Old 10-26-05, 07:58 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Look in this thread for some ides as well.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=126319

Salim
Old 10-26-05, 10:35 PM
AustinGS4
Rookie

Clueless. I paid Custom Sounds $75 to install it for me. I was afraid of messing up my car.
You cannot tell one bit that my dash was ever touched.

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
Hey AustinGS4,
Where did you put you Vaistech unit? I have the AIC- 100 and don't where to put it. The Vaistech guys say put it behind the clock/front vents, I tried to stuff it there and no way w/o cutting the metal mounting flang off.
Old 10-27-05, 03:03 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AustinGS4
Clueless. I paid Custom Sounds $75 to install it for me. I was afraid of messing up my car.
You cannot tell one bit that my dash was ever touched.
Thanks any way. Maybe I'll trim the sides that way I don't have to stick it below the golve box
Ron G.

Quick Reply: Ipod integration with stock navi