GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lexus Wheel Locks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-05, 10:57 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Wheel Locks?

Getting studded snows put on tomorrow and noticed that car has the wheel lock option. Well, I went through the trunk, glove boxes and any other storage area I could find and did not locate the key for these. My first question is: Is there a special hiding place for the wheel lock key? My next question: Are these generic? Will any Lexus key work on any Lexus wheel lock?
Old 10-16-05, 12:55 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I can answer the first question. At least on my car, the key to use to unlock the locking lug nuts is inside the soft black tool kit. Do you have one of those? As for your second question, I would have to think (or at least hope) that not all of these locking lug nuts are the same pattern, but I don't know for sure.

e
Old 10-16-05, 01:34 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by e-man
I can answer the first question. At least on my car, the key to use to unlock the locking lug nuts is inside the soft black tool kit. Do you have one of those? As for your second question, I would have to think (or at least hope) that not all of these locking lug nuts are the same pattern, but I don't know for sure.

e
Didn't find a tool bag, would like to know what should be in it. The plastic holder/cover for the lug wrench, crank handle, etc. is there but a few slots are empty. The First Aid kit is there and complete, I would think this would be one of the first things someone would keep/take before selling a used car. looks like I need to a tool kit and the correct key. Thanks for info.
Old 10-16-05, 03:34 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

the keys are generic...

you can go to your local lexus dealer and they have the whole set of different size keys... they'll match it up with the one that fits your wheel locks and you can purchase/order one from them... i think they cost about $15 a key...
Old 10-16-05, 05:18 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Again, thanks for the info. Spoke with the dealer yesterday and he said they can remove the locks, (master key set) bad part is they don't have any keys or replacement lugs in stock. I'll get a key ordered and look into this "tool bag" situation.
Old 10-16-05, 05:57 PM
mistamista
Driver School Candidate

I had the same issue and purchased my replacement from a Toyota dealership...They use the same master set and I saved a few dollars on it also.
Old 10-17-05, 06:51 AM
vborder
Lead Lap

if you want...just buy another set from pepboys or automotive supply place..doesn;'t have to be lexus nuts
Old 10-17-05, 07:18 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vborder
if you want...just buy another set from pepboys or automotive supply place..doesn;'t have to be lexus nuts
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'll go for the stock key. I'm pretty picky when it comes to stuff like that. Even on my previous cars, I tried to aquire everything that should of came with the car from the factory. Later, after installing new springs, exhaust, wheels, etc. etc. I hung onto the factory stuff. If I sell the car with mods installed I give the new owner the oppurtunity to buy the stock parts for a good price, it's their choice. If they refuse, then it's off to eBay or similar with them. I suppose it's not as important in a late model Lexus, but my experience with "OLD" pre-64 VW bugs has proven that the stock parts can be worth a lot more than the custom pieces added on.