GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Want a Black Suede Headliner

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-05, 09:22 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want a Black Suede Headliner

I want to get my headliner done in black suede. Would it be difficult to take out the headliner, and all the panels on the side? Also, how difficult would this be? or would it be better to just take it to an interior shop?

John
Old 09-26-05, 09:24 PM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am definitely interested in this also
Old 09-26-05, 09:26 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

I gotta have this to finish my interior project so i can move onto other things.

John
Old 09-26-05, 09:33 PM
QuikLex
Pole Position

If you have simple mechanical abilities, it is VERY easy. It's a matter of removing some screws and popping some panels off.
Old 09-26-05, 09:42 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

How about the installation of the suede itself? Also, how do you get the headliner out? Will it fit through the door?

John
Old 09-26-05, 10:00 PM
Mattress
Pole Position

Good Choive, im gettin black suede with *LV* stitched(maybe printed) all over it in a grey tone
HAPPY
Old 09-26-05, 10:31 PM
LT. LEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mattress
Good Choive, im gettin black suede with *LV* stitched(maybe printed) all over it in a grey tone
HAPPY

LV? as in Louis Vuitton?
Old 09-26-05, 10:39 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LT. LEX
LV? as in Louis Vuitton?
let's hope not
Old 09-26-05, 10:41 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey J, I'm pretty sure it all just pops right out once you get the belt pillars and rear deck pillars out, be sure you want to do all the headliner parts to complete the look. Lexus doesn't make blk handles, blk upper light panels, blk seat belt panels, or blk mirros, all these pieces had to be hand dyed by myself to complete the look........same goes for the visors, I had to take the mirrors apart to be able to paint them right aswell to make it all a uniform factory look blk suede headliner...
Old 09-27-05, 01:35 AM
GsUnit
Rookie

i had my interior done in black Leather roof and side panles. the paneLs come off very easy its just a matter of unscrewing some screws and poppin them out, the roof comes off easy to the tricky part is gettin it out. you have to have both your front seats leaned aLl the way back, then puLL the roof sideways through the back door.
Old 09-27-05, 03:57 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chuckb
let's hope not
I'm afraid that's just what he meant
Old 09-27-05, 06:51 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnGS4
I want to get my headliner done in black suede. Would it be difficult to take out the headliner, and all the panels on the side? Also, how difficult would this be? or would it be better to just take it to an interior shop?

John

I'd say just have someone do the work for you ( int shop)

I recently took mine to see how much it would be, they quoted me $325 including door pillars and visors.

I got another quote from a ghetto uphosltery shop (but the dude claims to do custom work) quoted me $275.00 using real suede.

good luck
Old 09-27-05, 07:07 PM
MRLEXO
Lead Lap

Check out Kirby's (VeilsideGS) SC:

Custom suede wrapped interior panels.
Old 09-27-05, 09:32 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

I definately want to try this myself. If it proves to be too difficult for me, i'll put it all back together and take it somewhere and have it done. I was expecting it to run in the $600 or $700 range just for the headliner. If it's as cheap as some have said, it might be worth just taking to a shope.

A, I noticed you did paint all your pieces. The one thing i don't have to worry about is mirrors, b/c i replaced them with tv's wrapped in black leather. What did you use to paint the rest of your pieces? Did you ever paint the buttons or are they still tan?

John
Old 09-27-05, 10:25 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnGS4
I definately want to try this myself. If it proves to be too difficult for me, i'll put it all back together and take it somewhere and have it done. I was expecting it to run in the $600 or $700 range just for the headliner. If it's as cheap as some have said, it might be worth just taking to a shope.

A, I noticed you did paint all your pieces. The one thing i don't have to worry about is mirrors, b/c i replaced them with tv's wrapped in black leather. What did you use to paint the rest of your pieces? Did you ever paint the buttons or are they still tan?

John
I used blk flat viynl paint. I bought it at pep boys....My buttons are actually grey, In pics it looks tan, not sure why but they are grey in person. They are off the grey panel that came in my blk inetrior gs4 back in the day. Best tip I can give you is do light coats. not just one heavy one. go light let it dry and keep giveing them coats until they are all blk.

heres how the came out afterwards. I had to take the whole mirror apart to get it fully oem like...handles all came off easy. the viynl paint works great on the leather handles it actually is very strong...

Last edited by bluelex; 09-27-05 at 10:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Want a Black Suede Headliner