GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Even after 7 years, the GS400 is an AWESOME car!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-05, 02:28 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Even after 7 years, the GS400 is an AWESOME car!

I was bored today, so I went down to my Lexus/Toyota dealer and test drove a few cars. The only cars worth mentioning are the ES330 and the new Avalon. I drove them both. They were both nice, but geez...even though my GS is 7 years old, it's still overall nicer than both of those! The Avalon's engine is VERY nice. That car runs quite well. The interrior is ALMOST Lexus-like (the wood and leather is VERY close), but the plastic was of lesser quality. On the highway, there was a bit of noise..not as quiet as the ES or my GS. The ES has many nice features, including heated/cooled seats. Interior was very nice and it rode very nice. Was quieter than the Avalon, but the engine was rather noisy compared to the gem of a V8 in the GS. The overall feel of quality, in my opinion, was less than the GS on the inside. All in all, the GS has aged very, very well. Both of these cars were in the high $40K bracket (CDN dollars), and in my opinion still a bit short in comparision to my 7 year old car. Anyone else feel the same when you drive a new car? I think the only car I've driven in recent memory that was better than the GS was the LS...
Old 09-24-05, 03:22 PM
e-diddy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the opportunity to drive the new ES a few times as a loaner vehicle when I used to take my GS3 for service to the dealer. Not a bad car at all but even though my GS3 was four to five years old at the time, the ES did not compare IMO. No disrespect to the ES guys, but defenitely the GS is at another level even when you compare them from old to new. Just my .02 cents.
Old 09-24-05, 03:26 PM
SRK
Driver

I agree with the ES comparison - I haven't driven a new Avalon. I found the ES to have a very strange transmission shift pattern and feel. The engine is loud, sounds busy all the time, and the power a bit tough to find other than full throttle. I agree with you that the GS is worlds away in refinement, and has that immediate silent power. I have also had an IS300 as a loaner, and every time I drive it I like it better, but that six cylinder is no replacement for the V-8. The IS instruments are not to my liking.
The way I describe it to people is that I can't imagine that my GS, or my LS, drove any better when they were new, and seven and thirteen years on they are that good.
Old 09-25-05, 08:47 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Its nice to know that our GS's are still top quality.. I mean all these new cars alot of them can't compare to our GS.... Quality to quality our GS's are awesome.... Its nice to know that 6 and 7 year old lexus's are still on top...
Old 09-25-05, 02:35 PM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The new Infiniti M45 is a pretty sweet ride but I think my 2001 GS430 looks waaaay nicer. The interior of the new M is very nice with every option known to man but I am not crazy about the exterior design.
Old 09-25-05, 03:33 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Its nice to know that our GS's are still top quality.. I mean all these new cars alot of them can't compare to our GS.... Quality to quality our GS's are awesome.... Its nice to know that 6 and 7 year old lexus's are still on top...

Yeah, in my opinion its not even the arguement of whether or not the GS is better or not, but the simple fact that it still aggressively "in the hunt" says it all! These are 2005 vehicles here, and they just dont "blow the GS away" as they should. The only vehicles that can really trump the GS are the ultralux models such as Sclass, or 6 series, 7 series, A8 yadda yadda.

Of course there are a few more bells and whistles in a 05 this or 06 that, but overall the GS is still right there in the thick of it. Probably the Lexus with the most longevity (neck and neck with 1st Gen SC)
Old 09-25-05, 04:07 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RRocket
Anyone else feel the same when you drive a new car?
Yes. I'm still trying to find a 'new' car that provides the quality, performance, and luxuary at the same price that I paid for my pre-owned GS4 but can't.
Old 09-25-05, 05:26 PM
GeorgeGS4
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

This car ages extremely well. Every time i get in it, it feels right off the show room floor. No unusual noises or rattles or squeeks, very impressive....

its like havin a 50 year old wife that doesnt look or feel a day over 20....
Old 09-25-05, 05:57 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeGS4

its like havin a 50 year old wife that doesnt look or feel a day over 20....
LOL - nice analogy!

Jonny
Old 09-26-05, 12:00 AM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that it is an awsome car. I have driven almost every car in it's catagory before I bought mine more than a year ago and I honestly couldn't say there was a better car than the GS. I even drove a slightly used Benz E500 to compare. The 7 year old car, it's quality of materials, power and confort and feel compares right there with it. There's no question about it.

I've driven the new Avalon too and the ES330. I liked the Avalon a lot but compared to my 98 GS4 it is no match. The power was good on the high end but the V8 is not only more powerful, but feels so effortless. Although the ES is no GS, the ES, IMO, is the perfect daily driver. Good gas mileage, decent room, comfort and it is a Lexus. Power is not there compared to the GS or Avalon, but it is enough to pass through slower traffic and enough for the average person's daily needs.
Old 09-26-05, 08:03 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Question

Hey I don't own a GS400 yet (or any GS for that matter) But the 400 is an awesome car. I'm just wondering...I know the 400 has a CD based slower Nav system but is the screen also smaller than the 430 screen? I'm just curious as i cant tell with ebay pics. Thanx
Old 09-26-05, 09:12 PM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

These cars age very well. My sis's black '99 ES w/ just tinted windows looks sharp as hell. My dad's '92 LS with almost 200K miles still gets looks from people as if it were brand new.

My GS, well... that's a whole different ballgame. I'm still getting used to clubs and nice restaurants wanting to put my car up front in their parking lots. I never got that kind of treatment in my '02 Maxima (and it was a pretty sharp car).
Old 09-27-05, 06:43 AM
soyhead
Driver

bought one a few weeks ago with 49,500 miles on it, thing is sweet

traded in a supercharged GTP for my first import and i am just blown away by the quality of the car inside and out

found this forum in my search for rainguards and like it better than lextasy.com
Old 09-27-05, 06:49 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RRocket
I was bored today, so I went down to my Lexus/Toyota dealer and test drove a few cars. The only cars worth mentioning are the ES330 and the new Avalon. I drove them both. They were both nice, but geez...even though my GS is 7 years old, it's still overall nicer than both of those! The Avalon's engine is VERY nice. That car runs quite well. The interrior is ALMOST Lexus-like (the wood and leather is VERY close), but the plastic was of lesser quality. On the highway, there was a bit of noise..not as quiet as the ES or my GS. The ES has many nice features, including heated/cooled seats. Interior was very nice and it rode very nice. Was quieter than the Avalon, but the engine was rather noisy compared to the gem of a V8 in the GS. The overall feel of quality, in my opinion, was less than the GS on the inside. All in all, the GS has aged very, very well. Both of these cars were in the high $40K bracket (CDN dollars), and in my opinion still a bit short in comparision to my 7 year old car. Anyone else feel the same when you drive a new car? I think the only car I've driven in recent memory that was better than the GS was the LS...
My pops said it best. You KNOW its a class leading car when Nissan made 10 different copies of the car 5 years after introduction, as well as the other car makers taking its styling cues inside and out.

The GS is one of those rare vehicles that is simply timeless.
Old 09-27-05, 07:20 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

welcome aboard soyhead..

you should check the northeast forum ..alot of cool guys there from the tristate area..

we're also having a bbq at ross park in jersey on the 9th.

Quick Reply: Even after 7 years, the GS400 is an AWESOME car!