GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Newly Tinted / Debadged / & Bon Ami Winshield Cleansed

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-01, 11:59 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rather productive morning.

1.) Tints pics are below. Its a 3M tint, grey, 35%.

2.) Debadged: this was harder than I anticipated. The badges came off without iossue, but the 2 year old residue was another story. See the pic with the outline of the residue, and check my previous thread about everything I've tried so far to get it off.

https://www.clublexus.com/vb/showthr...5&pagenumber=2

3.) The Bon Ami cleaning of the windshield: it rocks; the windshield looks brand new, especially from the inside while looking into the sun. See here for what I was trying to accomplish.

https://www.clublexus.com/vb/showthr...threadid=17817

OK, here come the pics!
Attached Thumbnails Newly Tinted / Debadged / & Bon Ami Winshield Cleansed-1-before.jpg  
Old 07-14-01, 12:00 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

after
Attached Thumbnails Newly Tinted / Debadged / & Bon Ami Winshield Cleansed-2-after-debadge-full.jpg  
Old 07-14-01, 12:01 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Default another angle

another angle
Attached Thumbnails Newly Tinted / Debadged / & Bon Ami Winshield Cleansed-3-debadge-driver-side.jpg  
Old 07-14-01, 12:03 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down full residue - eewwww

full residue - eewwww
Attached Thumbnails Newly Tinted / Debadged / & Bon Ami Winshield Cleansed-5-residue.jpg  
Old 07-14-01, 12:05 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Default debagde outline residue

debagde outline residue
Attached Thumbnails Newly Tinted / Debadged / & Bon Ami Winshield Cleansed-6-debadge-outline-residue.jpg  
Old 07-14-01, 12:06 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Default tint from passenger side

tint from passenger side
Attached Thumbnails Newly Tinted / Debadged / & Bon Ami Winshield Cleansed-7-tint-pass-side-closer.jpg  
Old 07-14-01, 12:07 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Default rear tint with cutout around brakelight

theguys tinting weren't going to do this, but I asked them to just so I would never have to worry about any legal ramifications, not to mention, so the guy behind me doesn't have any excuses

LAST PIC

Attached Thumbnails Newly Tinted / Debadged / & Bon Ami Winshield Cleansed-8-tint-rear-with-cutout.jpg  
Old 07-14-01, 01:59 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dexter, excellent idea having the tint cut around the center brake light! If it were me, I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 07-14-01, 03:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I don't get removing the badges. But your car looks clean and shiny for sure. FYI, you left your license # in the last pic. I'm not sure why we mask out our license plates in pics. I do it because others do it.

Anyway, now your car is buff, how about replacing those pea shooter 98 exhaust tips? They look so small in the cutouts to me now.
Old 07-14-01, 04:17 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Default Bit,

Badges: yeah, I know, some don't agree, but hey, my car right? Just a' clean' probl...uh, I mean 'thing' I have...

Not that I'm trying to be like other cars, but as an example, when I see a brand new MB 500, its usally deb'd, and I think it looks sharp, classy, and understated. There's no need, *IMHO*, for 'Lexus', then the 'L', then 'GS400'. I don't care if anyone says 'hmm, what kind of car is that?' Not that others do, but I don't feel like I have to advertise what I got under the hood; those who question will find out soon enough. Those who I would have something in common with will know, y'know?

Its all good.

As for the exhaust, (ha! pea shooters, that's great) that maybe next, but alot of research and a few more direct deposits first.

I think it was you who posted earlier about stupid newbie questions?? I liked those because I identified with almost all of them!

I want throaty, but not loud, and I don't want to loose any of the low end......time for the archive search!

FYI, I welcome any and all comments.

Peace.
Old 07-14-01, 04:31 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks great, the exhaust you are going to buy is L-tuned, you will look at others like borla, but the result will be L-Tuned...

haha actaully i would suggest you get L-tuned, i like louder more "ricy" exhausts but i think you'd like the quiet deep rumble of L-tuned
Old 07-14-01, 05:00 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Default A question onthe L-Turned stuff...

this may be a faq somewhere, but humor me...

The L tuned items can be ordered and installed through any lexus dealer? That seems pretty cool, but wierd to me. I guess coming for the BMW world, almost any mods usually voided your warranty and the service techs would look at you like you had 4 heads if you told them you wanted them to put on an aftermarket piece / mod...
Old 07-14-01, 05:28 PM
MrHorse
Pole Position

Default Badges gone..

I fully endorse removing the badges. Mine will be off soon as well. Looks tight. I dispise any type of ulterior accessories. Neon lights, bumper scratch guards, stripes, et al. Too bad for the residue that you were left with. A visit to a good body shop will eliminate those.
Old 07-14-01, 05:34 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Hey Horse,

About yesterday; a little too much caffine; no hard feelings.

I've learned a ton of info already from this forum and the folks who keep it going and would gladly stand in line to contribute.

Thanks again everyone.

Old 07-14-01, 05:39 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Since Lexus doesn't offer "Sport" models they offer L-tuned parts for dealer installation. Thus, you can purchase the L-Tuned parts from any Lexus or Toyota dealer. Many here have purchased from Steve Ganz @ Carson Toyota and a few are now purchasing from Lexus of Manhattan and then having them installed by a Lexus dealer if they want to keep the warranty or by whomever they want if they don't care about the warranty. (whew, long sentence ).

Steve Ganz at Carson Toyota
Gonzo4u@earthlink.net
800-908-6968 ext. 2381
Or Private Message SUPRATRD

for Manhattan Lexus PM Johnny Mo for the contact.

As for non-Lexus mods voiding your warranty - as long as you stay with L-Tuned and TRD, you're OK. Other, non-Lexus/Toyota mods are between you and your dealer. Some are cool about it. Others are dicks. I'd talk to your service advisor before putting on a "foreign" mod if you care about your warranty.

Quick Reply: Newly Tinted / Debadged / & Bon Ami Winshield Cleansed