GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Water condencation in front head lights, help

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-05, 10:28 AM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Water condencation in front head lights, help

I live in Florida, after a huge rain I noticed that I have a lot of condencation in my driver side headlights, both small and the xenon light essembly. Anyone had same issue? And what to look for to fix it and how to fix it.
Old 08-11-05, 12:40 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

condensation in the headlights is a common thing for the GS. There really is no way to fix it. You could try and seal it but no need to. The condensation goes away when you have the headlights on so.

use the search function and look for threads on the condensation problems.
Old 08-11-05, 12:55 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most people buy new housings and change them out. you find that this is very common.
Old 08-11-05, 01:10 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Yeah, unfortunately this is a common problem w/ the 2nd gen GS. If your car is out of warranty, Lexus probably will not step into help. There are tons of old threads regarding this issue.
Old 08-11-05, 03:26 PM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

Yes, I searched forums and founf that this problem is very common and very enoying, thanks guys. I figured that I needed new housing. But the amount of the condensation is alot, I mean, I have drops of water inside, along the whole bottom of the headlight. I don't know if light will dry them out, will see. Where can I buy the housing cheap, ebay would have them used, I would want it new, and is it easy to install the new housing?
Old 08-11-05, 03:31 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dlomonosov
Yes, I searched forums and founf that this problem is very common and very enoying, thanks guys. I figured that I needed new housing. But the amount of the condensation is alot, I mean, I have drops of water inside, along the whole bottom of the headlight. I don't know if light will dry them out, will see. Where can I buy the housing cheap, ebay would have them used, I would want it new, and is it easy to install the new housing?
the condensation dries up rather quickly. I have condensation in my all the time and I just let it dry out.

I'm not the headlight expert, but I think you can get the headlight housings on ebay or at the dealer if you want them new. They aren't cheap but if the condensation really bothers you, you can get the new housing there.

as for putting the new housing in, I think it's do-able but it takes some time and some DIY skills. Some of the more experienced guys can take it through for you step by step.
Old 08-11-05, 06:43 PM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

that would be great, does anyone know how to do it step by step guys?
Old 08-11-05, 08:49 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont have step by step procedures but it's doable. housings cost 500-600 bucks brand new and you can use your old stuff like ballast and bulbs.

taking off the front bumper is the hardest part of the job. some people choose not to take off their front bumper but i think it's just as hard to get some bolts when the bumper is attached.

it's your call if you want to or not.

maybe someone in your area can help you out.
Old 08-11-05, 08:55 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Lol you guys its really easy to fix, and will cost around 5 dollers maybe. First you have to remove your headlights now if you never been in an accident then the headlights should have no cracks or anything. Each headlight has about 5 or so ventilation ports, each port has a rubber fitting with a sponge inside which absorbs small ammounts of vapor. If your headlights are old then the sponges inside have most likely broke down due to constant water vapor and have to be replaced. I think you can get them at any auto store but if not try online its just a sponge though, so once the headlight is of you have to check each one of those rubber fittings by taking them of and checking the condition of the sponge. Also you prolly have water inside the headlight already so when you turn them on the water heats up and automatically fogs up inside so check to see if it has any in there. The housing it self 99% of the time wont let water in because its completly sealed of, so if the headlights are damaged or have some sort of factory defect they alone will not cause condensation but the sponge ports will, maybe try calling a lexus dealer and see if they sell them, they should theoratically since those sponge's get really nasty after a while.
Old 08-11-05, 09:17 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vicestan
Lol you guys its really easy to fix, and will cost around 5 dollers maybe. First you have to remove your headlights now if you never been in an accident then the headlights should have no cracks or anything. Each headlight has about 5 or so ventilation ports, each port has a rubber fitting with a sponge inside which absorbs small ammounts of vapor. If your headlights are old then the sponges inside have most likely broke down due to constant water vapor and have to be replaced. I think you can get them at any auto store but if not try online its just a sponge though, so once the headlight is of you have to check each one of those rubber fittings by taking them of and checking the condition of the sponge. Also you prolly have water inside the headlight already so when you turn them on the water heats up and automatically fogs up inside so check to see if it has any in there. The housing it self 99% of the time wont let water in because its completly sealed of, so if the headlights are damaged or have some sort of factory defect they alone will not cause condensation but the sponge ports will, maybe try calling a lexus dealer and see if they sell them, they should theoratically since those sponge's get really nasty after a while.

WOW, great info man. We should get this kind of info stickied in the lighting forum. Could you also if this isn't where the problem is coming from re-silicone the headlights aswell?