GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: JP, LM or neither
JP
47.50%
LM
42.50%
Neither - stick with stock
10.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: JP or LM taillights

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-05, 04:49 PM
VeilSideGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Touche Mark!
But yeah...I guess the answers and everything will fall into place as soon as these are on both my ride and Marks
Old 08-04-05, 05:04 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GSXOTIC
so i guess these Kazz will be the JP "style" tail light for you, bluelex?

I had imported the vertex kit from japan for my SC300 and yet spent tons of money to install them because of the fitment issue. On the other hand, I saw Cong's Explosion "style" kit fit like a charm so I wonder where I should spend my money on? So, I agree with Kirby on the body kit side. I think I will reserve my opinion until the LM taillight is released. Maybe I am just too poor to have those JP. But even if I am making tons of money, I just can't justified myself for 1350 on a set of tail light.....
JP was the 1st to do it red clear so yes the kazz are also jp style looking lights. are they oem tho? i'm not sure.

as far as the kits my point wasn't that authentic kits always fit better. I think I wrote that clearly. My point is that when someone has come on with a replica kit or replica wheels I read them get bashed by many. I know people with rmm like myself and l-sportline or even jdm kits that had to sometimes do some sort of modification to make it fit perfect. Now we have non oem replica lights and opinions are all of a sudden different. Don't get me wrong I really do hope these will fit right and not get condensation. we'll find out when they arrive and are looked at closely on the cars. Good luck to you guys.

Last edited by bluelex; 08-04-05 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-04-05, 05:08 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by VeilSideGS3
Bluelex - Thanks for your feedback. With body kits though, each body kit is hand laid etc. I am sure that we have seen (nothing against hondas) civics with body kits hanging out everywhere, but can we say that we have seen an altezza style taillight popping out and not fitting correctly on a civic? With our taillights coming into production there is one main machine with the exact specs of the OEM taillights that creates the number of lights the same exact way as the first prototype. So you can rest assure that EACH taillights is identical to the ones before it and after it
Are you kidding..LOL we've seen plenty of apc/altezza lights not fit right or not ligning up to the holes. haveing condensation from not being sealed correctly and haveing the inside plastics sometimes come unglued. it happen to me and buddies of mine with these lights. Again until we see these and how they hold up we won't know. so hopefully in a couple months when they come out and you guys have them we can finally see the quality up close.

I agree with you 100%. anything that can get rid of that ugly orange is a plus in my book. good luck guys.

Last edited by bluelex; 08-04-05 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-04-05, 05:12 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

I say it all comes down to $$$
Old 08-04-05, 05:14 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Cant really tell until the LM lights are released
Old 08-04-05, 05:17 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by mikal
Cant really tell until the LM lights are released
Agreed. I find it hard to vouch for lights that aren't even made or in existence yet.
Old 08-04-05, 05:26 PM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JP Tails are expensive, but I know what I'd be getting - OEM quality that looks fantastic. Until the LM lights are out, we won't know. Certainly the price is very good on the LM lights, but it won't matter to me if they are not OEM quality. If the clear is not crystal clear like the JP's I would pass. It's cool if other members don't feel the same. We'll have to wait and see.

I vote JP for now!

GSXOTIC, as far as bodykits, my JDM Vertex kit fit perfect, no mods or extra work required. Sorry to hear your kit required extra work.

Last edited by TeeLex; 08-04-05 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-04-05, 05:37 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great Poll

Well we really dont know what the LM tails are going to look like

i read something about Crystal cut but who really knows what that will look like

i think we all agree on Jp pricing so no need to go down that road again

For me Junction just flows ..hell it brightens up the rear of the GS

And a big plus is its OEM ...no fitment issues what so ever

Pure Quality

but i love JP products and have since i first saw them on Junction GS's car

so i am biased

I do wish LM luck with their project and we will have to see how the clear comes out
Old 08-04-05, 05:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

ummm i see some discussions here, i will give my 2 cents. regarding the two, since i have the jp taillights, i would tend to like the jp more. i can see some difference between the two, and in terms of what i can see so far, the jp one still looks better. but with the price tag, it's up to you to decide. and of course, no one has seen the real lm tailights here yet.

now retarding the "authentic" or not... i have to disgree with those who thinks the lm taillights are knock offs.... we all understand body kits already, but the clear taillights i just merely a method of doing the taillights. heck, what else can do on the clear taillights? i really don't see it as a knock off. jp being the first one to do it doesn't really give them the crown imho. it's just that they are successful enough to be the first one. but there could be a second one, third one, etc... it's more about who can do it

and if you want to talk about imitation. the rmm kits is a copy of the explosion kits, they mainly changed the front end to use the stock fogs instead. so the rmm kits is a knock off? if you say that the difference on the rmm kits makes it NOT a knock off, then what about the lm tallights with the different construction (visially different), and that they are using led instead of normal bulbs? you can't call them knock off as well then.

and just side notes regarding fitment. don't give me the thing about jdm or knock off fitment the best (sorry i said it wrong before @_@). yes some stuff fits awesome (my wald kits for the sc430 fits perfect), but my ugo kits had fitment issues and i had to fill it up to make them fit well. so jdm doesn't mean perfect. it's all about mentality of doing it the right way, about supporting what you are driving, and about showing people the class you have inside of you.

i hope this doesn't come as an offense to all of you. kirby, you know my take is i still prefer my jp taillights. steve, you know i am not getting the taillights from you but the lm could be a good options. adrian, you can see i am not biased against any of the two but only talk about oem and knock off. so i am just stating what i see

Last edited by rominl; 08-04-05 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-04-05, 05:48 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

and just side notes regarding fitment. don't give me the thing about jdm or oem fitment the best.

explain this ??

OEm fitment should be the best
Old 08-04-05, 06:16 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Rom- Again I said that I find nothing wrong with people who get knock offs and that known brand kits also don't always fit perfect,I think I wrote that. What do mean that oem fitment isn't the best? It should be.
Old 08-04-05, 07:01 PM
tkracing
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SUPRATRD
But you can't beat the real deal........VIPJP baby!!
Listen to the man he knows whats he's talking about
Hands down- JP
Old 08-04-05, 07:16 PM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Rom,

I think OEM and JDM are different.............if OEM does not fit, well then we blame Lexus/Toyota, especially because they have all the engineering drawings and know the tolerances. If JDM does not fit, well that's because they have not done their homework relative to checking enough OEM parts for variations in tolerances. This can happen to JDM or anyone else making replacement parts ( modified kits or not ). JDM does not assure perfect fit, but IMHO I believe my chances of getting a proper fit are increased with JDM over companies that spend less R&D, and consequently able to offer lower prices. Just my opinion.

I know this type of business well, considering I was the Director of Materials Engineering for the largest PMA House in the USA when it comes to making OEM replacement parts for flight gas turbine engines. This PMA business produced FAA approved parts for Pratt & Whitney ( where I also worked for 20 years ) and General Electric jet engines. It takes significant work ( including measuring many OEM parts made during different manufacturing runs and also using statistics ) to get a 'good' sampling of OEM tolerances. This is what allows a manufacturer to make replacement components that fit the first time. Take short cuts ( like not getting enough OEM parts to measure -or- not getting OEM parts made during different manufacturing runs ) and it's hit-or-miss. Metrology and an adequate sampling is critical to making parts that fit consistently.
Old 08-04-05, 09:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GTFM
explain this ??

OEm fitment should be the best

crap i am retarded @_@ i was trying to say jdm and knock offs..... and somehow my fingers decided to type oem @_@ sorry about that..... let me change that now
Old 08-04-05, 09:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bluelex
Rom- Again I said that I find nothing wrong with people who get knock offs and that known brand kits also don't always fit perfect,I think I wrote that. What do mean that oem fitment isn't the best? It should be.
yeah i know you said it. but i am just trying to state how one might is not a knock off of another just coz' they are aiming at the same nature

Quick Reply: Poll: JP or LM taillights