GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lowenhart BR5

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-01, 08:16 AM
kuruption213
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright I got another rim topic. What do you all think of the Lowenhart BR5 rims. My only concern is they are 18's and I have the stock 16's right now and I love how smooth the ride is. Just how much more rough does the ride get going form 16's to 18's. here are a pic of the rims? by the way anyone know how much these run?
Attached Thumbnails Lowenhart BR5-lowenhart_br5_400.jpg  
Old 06-30-01, 09:56 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

k,

~$26-2700 for 18x8.5+9.5

18s would be a bit noisier than the 16s for sure. but risde quality should not be too bad.
Old 06-30-01, 01:53 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think 18" is the best compromise between ride quality and looks.

Yes, 17" and 16" have better ride quality than 18", and yes 19" and 20" look way better than 18", but if you sorta want the best of both words, in MY opinion, 18" is the best rim size.
Old 06-30-01, 11:38 PM
Presario
Driver

It all depends. When I changed to my 19s, the ride was almost identical to my stock 17s, only a tad bit rougher. The noise was pretty bad though. When you also upgrade to a bigger size, your wheel gap from the fender starts to look huge. If you don't mind the big gap, the ride quality will remain good. But if that gap is not pleasing, you will probably want to lower the car a bit so the tire fits the wheel well nicely. That is where the ride starts to get rougher. I installed the L tuned suspension because it provides the nicest ride of all the suspension packages you can get and it lowers the car 1.2 inches in the front and .9 in the rear. With that said, my car still has a great great ride, a little bumpy when I go over cracks and bumps but stuff but overall, not that much worse. I suggest you get your wheels first and then decide if you need or want a suspension upgrade. Some people are just fine without lowering their cars. Works both ways. Those wheels are absolutely wonderful on a GS, one of the best. Let us know what you decide! Also, I agree. 18's are the best compromise but when a wheel has a lip, the overall size of the wheel seems a bit smaller. Consider 19s as well because the ride compared to 18's is pretty similar.

-Andy
Old 07-06-01, 05:05 PM
jamecl

Who sells the BR5 for a reasonable price and has them in stock?
Old 07-06-01, 05:26 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Presario
It all depends. When I changed to my 19s, the ride was almost identical to my stock 17s, only a tad bit rougher. The noise was pretty bad though. When you also upgrade to a bigger size, your wheel gap from the fender starts to look huge. If you don't mind the big gap, the ride quality will remain good. But if that gap is not pleasing, you will probably want to lower the car a bit so the tire fits the wheel well nicely. That is where the ride starts to get rougher. I installed the L tuned suspension because it provides the nicest ride of all the suspension packages you can get and it lowers the car 1.2 inches in the front and .9 in the rear. With that said, my car still has a great great ride, a little bumpy when I go over cracks and bumps but stuff but overall, not that much worse. I suggest you get your wheels first and then decide if you need or want a suspension upgrade. Some people are just fine without lowering their cars. Works both ways. Those wheels are absolutely wonderful on a GS, one of the best. Let us know what you decide! Also, I agree. 18's are the best compromise but when a wheel has a lip, the overall size of the wheel seems a bit smaller. Consider 19s as well because the ride compared to 18's is pretty similar.

-Andy
HMMM...Most 19's I have seen without lowering have a less fender-to-tire gap as compared to stock...It makes sense because the 19" package has a larger overall diameter than the 16" package...

Brent
Old 07-06-01, 07:39 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jame,

there is something wrong w/my email box function on the reply. i am trying to see if someone in the east coast area can get you a good deal on the BR5s so you might save some shipping. have you received any quotes?

will
Old 07-07-01, 12:56 AM
Presario
Driver

Brent,

You are absolutely right. THe overall diameter gets slightly bigger but I guess I didn't word it right. The gap seems to LOOK bigger and becomes really obvious. And plus, it kind of looks like a 4x4 with offroad shocks when the GS has 19s or 20s without the suspension. But once again that is my opinion.

-Andy
Old 07-07-01, 01:17 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AMEN Presario!

19" or 20" wheels in particular (and I think even 18's) do make the GS look like a Hummer...
Old 07-07-01, 04:04 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by BLiu

HMMM...Most 19's I have seen without lowering have a less fender-to-tire gap as compared to stock...It makes sense because the 19" package has a larger overall diameter than the 16" package...

Brent
Right Brent.... The difference in radius (center of the rim to the ground) or half the diameter would determine how much higher or lower the car will sit. The change in radius from the middle of the wheel to the upper edge of the tire would let you know how much more or less your fender well will be "filled"....Tiny
Old 07-07-01, 11:23 AM
jamecl

gs4will: I live in Washington State not DC, so somewhere on the West Coast would be cheaper. Thanks for looking!
Old 07-10-01, 10:43 AM
jamecl

Will, I think the best quote I received was ~2300 but I think the guy was a flake. The other quotes I've received were between 2500-2600. If I can get the BR5s in that price range, and they are in stock, I'd be happy.
Old 07-10-01, 12:34 PM
Bobcat
Pole Position

Jamel:

call Phil at www.autoaddictions.com

he gave me a good price on a staggered setup of BR-5's with Bridgestone S-03's.

he did a great job of balancing and mounting (I drove to his Pa shop from Md last weekend) and even painted my brakes & calipers for free !!

I will be posting pics soon .......
Old 07-10-01, 02:09 PM
jamecl

Thanks BobCat. I gave Phil a call and he's checking on availability. Price was reasonable.
Old 07-10-01, 05:56 PM
Bobcat
Pole Position

jamecl:

I'm glad the price was reasonable. Part of what we Lexus owners want is RELIABILITY and HONESTY. This guy has all that. There is no bull ***** with him. He cares and he will be good to you. I think a lot of the ridiculously low prices that people get quoted are not legitimate. There are guys on this website that have been ripped off and left waiting months for their rims. Phil moves pretty quickly and he's cool.

BobCat

Quick Reply: Lowenhart BR5