GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2ndGen Lighting Retrofits: Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-05, 07:35 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2ndGen Lighting Retrofits: Advice Needed

(I know this probably belongs in the Lighting Area, but I wanted some focused advice from the 2nd Gen crowd in regards to interior lighting)

I am finally ready to start tinkering with my 2001 GS4 interior's lights, and exterior lights, for a cleaner, brighter white light output. And I have seen Rominl's thread breaking down what the specific bulb types are...and I have seen PHML's long informative thread on various bulb types.

But I need some final advice.

I want bright, white light. And the debate is between LEDs and Polarg's superwhite bulbs.

I was leaning towards replacing almost all bulbs with LEDs because I didn't want that blue-bulb look running throughout my interior in places where it can catch my or other's eyes (like the Dome Light, and front and rear map lights. But I have read in previous threads that the LEDs in the map and dome really weren't bright enough, though the light output was clean and white.

But I DO want it to be bright too.

So, for those that have experience with this:

1. For the front map lights, should I try a 5- or 6- LED light, or should I just go with the Polarg M26s for brightness? For those that have the M26 in the map light, how noticeable is that dark blue bulb?

2. For the dome light, that festoon bulb, is the 5 LED Matrix or 6 LED bulbs bright enough? Or should I just go with the blue-bulb M16?

3. I guess for the vanity mirrors, the Polarg M24's fit, right?

4. I don't know how in the hec my chubby fingers are gonna get that damn tiny-azz #74 bulb out of those housings, but it seems that the single-LED bulb is a bright enough replacement, though bluer than most of you preferred. Any new developments on the #74 replacement?

5. For those that have the Polarg M6 in their reverse lights, how noticeable is that darkblue bulb? I really don't want noticeably blue bulbs on the exterior. So, I may go with a chrome-covered bulb instead of the darkblue bulb Polarg.

6. What's the brightest trunk light I can get, that fits? The T13 W6?

7. Are the door handle lights easy to replace? I suppose this is a 194 bulb too, right? I didn't see it on Rom's list. I saw someone mention a WLED 6LED replacement for this application.

It seems that the 6LED lights are plenty bright enough for the rear map lights (194s).

Anyone tried the 5- and 15-LED Wedge Matrix bulbs yet from Autolumination?

So many choices...

Thanks in advance, guys. Just trying to get the right stuff without a whole lot of trial-and-error.
Old 07-18-05, 11:44 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I will leave this here for visibility but please post responses in the original lighting thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=171088