GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Install H&R spacer

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-05, 07:35 PM
TOMLEXUS
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Install H&R spacer

I try to put H&R 20mm spacers on my GS, is it hard to take out the old studs? what tools do I need? thanks.
Old 05-22-05, 08:27 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to admit my lack of knowledge on this subject, but, I just wanted to say that my 25mm spacers (H&R) came with studs already on them.

I would have thought the 20mm was the same way. Not so?
Old 05-22-05, 08:40 PM
TOMLEXUS
Pole Position

20 mm comes with a new stud, need to replace the stock stud on the hub, stock stud is 20mm shorter than the new one.
Old 05-22-05, 09:17 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The H&R spacers come in different types. Only the DRM style comes with bolts attached and I've seen this mainly on 25mm and larger spacers.
Old 05-22-05, 10:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

to get the one ones out, i think you can just use a hammer
Old 05-23-05, 07:25 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Stay away from spacer they are no good take it from me I had one of them snap on me on the highway.
Old 05-23-05, 08:41 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
Stay away from spacer they are no good take it from me I had one of them snap on me on the highway.
What about the 5mm ones?
Old 05-23-05, 09:01 AM
Kaine
Rookie

As long as you use some high quality spacers like H&R trac+ you won't have any issues. I've had mine on for over a year and not one problem with them.

As far as installation... don't use a hammer!!! could warp the hub or put some unnecessary stress on the ball joints. Instead use a Ball and Joint puller to push the studs out. Put the new studs in place and use the lug nuts ( with a washer ) to pull it into a locked position. Do not exceed 90 ft lbs of torque. If it doesnt join the hub smoothly back it out and try another alignment position, it shouldn't be forced in. I've done this many times as i have experimented with the diferent sizes. BTW if you go with the 25mm its a direct bolt on, no modification needed.

Good luck. and don't forget to post some pics when you're done.
Old 05-23-05, 09:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by chicagoblknazn
What about the 5mm ones?
they might be ok. if you have the choice of course try to avoid them at all cost
Old 05-23-05, 09:14 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
they might be ok. if you have the choice of course try to avoid them at all cost
Thanks Rom....everyone keeps saying to stay away from them, so I think I will. Would have liked my rears to be pushed out a little bit more, but I'd rather be safe then sorry.
Old 05-23-05, 02:51 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chicagoblknazn
Thanks Rom....everyone keeps saying to stay away from them, so I think I will. Would have liked my rears to be pushed out a little bit more, but I'd rather be safe then sorry.

just to be clear, I think Rom is saying to stay away from the 5mm ones. That would make complete sense if you don't get new studs with them!!!

Otherwise, I've not read anything of real consequence that would lead you to believe that the spacers are at all dangerous or bad in ANY way.

Just because one person has a problem doesn't really mean much. There are questions about torque, recent rim changes, thread locker, installation method, potholes, ......all kinds of things.

had my big 25mm H&R ones for a year now, and I don't have a single complaint....... it really put the wheels where they should be!

PS. I can't afford new rims.
Old 05-23-05, 10:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

actually i did meant to say that avoid any spacers if possible. i dont' care if it's 5mm or 25mm, new studs or not, it's just not good. basically you are putting one more level of support and more chances of failure. the spacer could be very strong, but you are still introducing one more locations for failure.

i know a lot of people with 25mm spacers on their cars and no problem so far, but that doesn't mean they are ok. maybe the studs are weakening, maybe the hub is weakening, who knows. bottom line is if i could avoid it, i would.

i have been wanting to p ut another 5mm spacer on the rear of my car too so i can push out the rear wheel a bit more, but i have decided against it
Old 05-24-05, 04:36 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
actually i did meant to say that avoid any spacers if possible. i dont' care if it's 5mm or 25mm, new studs or not, it's just not good. basically you are putting one more level of support and more chances of failure. the spacer could be very strong, but you are still introducing one more locations for failure.

i know a lot of people with 25mm spacers on their cars and no problem so far, but that doesn't mean they are ok. maybe the studs are weakening, maybe the hub is weakening, who knows. bottom line is if i could avoid it, i would.

i have been wanting to p ut another 5mm spacer on the rear of my car too so i can push out the rear wheel a bit more, but i have decided against it
That was what I got from your previous post. There is a strong chance that I might be fine, but then again there could be some weaking of the hub, studs, etc. and with me living in the city, dealing with snow and salt, my aggresive driving and turns, I'd rather be safer then sorry. Also, with my car being at 80K miles you never really know what needs to be replaced since I am not down there looking every week.
Old 05-24-05, 07:44 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't worry about spacers man. many many drift cars around the world use spacers with longer studs. and ton of widebody cars use them aswell. i'm not a fan of 5mm cus of the no stud isseu but than again have you ever looked at a 5mm spacer? its 1/5 of an inch which is basically nothing....as far as any other size spacer as long as its of good quality you should have no issues their are hundreds of people useing spacers on our cars including myself and have had no problems up to date... as far as the studs i don't think its hard but it a little time comsuming. they had to bang minr out to put the longer ones but i didn't watch just heard
Old 03-16-08, 02:16 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just did mine today myself...took me about 2 hours total....banged away and put in longer studs for H&R 20mm spacer. Used air impact and washers to force new studs into the holes. I wish I had done this years ago.

Pete

Quick Reply: Install H&R spacer