GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Wheels - opinion

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-01, 08:25 PM
Knguyen OLD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to show you a couple of wheels - I like the style, not necessarily the brand.

The 5 star comes in 19x9.5 and the mesh comes in 18x8.5

I like the mesh. I have a white GS430 H&R Springs/Bilstein shocks.

What do you think?

Thanks for the input.

Khanh
Attached Images  
Old 06-18-01, 08:27 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I realy like those rims how much do they run for?
Old 06-18-01, 08:28 PM
Knguyen OLD
Rookie

Default Another pic

Here is the 5 star.

I would like to have rims that look like the factory but in 18x8.5 with a larger lip.

Attached Images  
Old 06-18-01, 08:34 PM
Knguyen OLD
Rookie

Biggie - My bad - the Mesh rims come in 19x8.5 only no 9.5 - I will have to check to make sure.

The rim I posted is a 19 x 8.5 and costs $308.00 which includes shipping. Its called a M-Classic made by ADR

The 18 x 8.5 costs $245.00 which includes shipping.

I really do like this style.

I am thinking about sticking with 18" for handling and easy access to tires if one blows. I find 19" are always hard to find.

Khanh

you can find the rims at www.wheelsone.com

Old 06-18-01, 09:30 PM
GS_DieHard

Very nice!! I love the look of this type of mesh rim! I've been shopping for rims too and have found some other similar rims which I like.

Have you seen the Enkei Aegis? This is a similar rim, although the mesh spokes may be a tad too thin. It's also 3 times more expensive . . .
Attached Thumbnails Wheels - opinion-aegis_ex.jpg  
Old 06-18-01, 09:46 PM
GS_DieHard

Here's another similar rim . . . from Alles

Attached Images  
Old 06-18-01, 09:50 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the Mesh style you posted Knguyen.. I would probably buy HRE's thou if I was going for that look.. I'll post a pic of the HRE 540 which I think is a very sweet looking wheel but pretty pricey.. But like they say you get what you pay for..

Check out Swift Racing
Attached Thumbnails Wheels - opinion-540big-1-.jpg  
Old 06-18-01, 11:45 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI, ADR rims are crap knock-offs...I wouldn't buy them.

The ADR Mesh rim that you posted is a knock-off of the Club Linea Carrera...which is essentially a Japanese bolt-compatable Porsche copy. But the Club Linea is a high quailty 3-piece rim...

If you like that mesh look, there are TONS of rims like that. I would buy a set from a quality manufacturer...Rays/Volk, Racing Hart, HRE, Fikse, Kinesis, etc., etc....

As for the second rim (the 5 spoke), instead of getting that one, why not get the real deal from TRD...called the Sports T2 made by Rays...

http://www.rayswheels.co.jp/wheel_jp...dsports_t2.jpg

Last edited by Manaray; 06-18-01 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-18-01, 11:52 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Manaray:

You're too good!! Said what I wanted to say!

Yah, those TRD T2s are pretty nice, but I think they only come in 17s or something.
Old 06-19-01, 05:08 AM
Knguyen OLD
Rookie

Manaray - thanks for the help. I have looked around for something very similiar to what you are talking about and I haven't found much. I have looked at the Club Lineas, didn't find them in 18"x8.5 or 18x9.5/9. Some of the other Mesh wheels didn't either have lips on them, which I like or like the volks se37A which didn't have a lip - I didn't like the style as much. I guess when a wheel hits ya it hits ya, sucks that its an el-cheapo. I don't know much about Japanese wheels, but it seems like ADR is very popular in Japan, must be cause they are cheap. I might still consider the group buy for the Manaray VR5 Quest, which I am sure it not a great quality wheel either, but I like the style. I think they are like the Blitz03 wheels?

Thanks for the knowledge share.

Khanh

Old 06-19-01, 05:52 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All of these mesh wheels looks pretty much the same, i guess its about finding quality and the right size. Now I really don't know what to get...

Globe have you decided yet?
Old 06-19-01, 06:40 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

The Club Linea Carrera comes in everything from 17" x 8.5" to 19" x 10"...

They make a 18" x 8.5 with a +40 offset. A 18" x 9" comes in a +23 offset...a 18" x 9.5" comes in +25/+37/+48 offset.

Why not do 19's instead? It'll look much better...unless you have serious pot holes in your hood...18's look too small on GS IMO...

As for ADR's being popular in Japan, where did you hear that? All of their wheels are knock-offs...I've NEVER seen ADR rims on ANY CAR in ANY of the Japanese magazines I have (and I have approx 200 issues of various Japanese car mags)

I think the only place where crap cheap rims are popular is among all the ricers (luxury ricers included) in the US.

Old 06-19-01, 07:07 AM
Knguyen OLD
Rookie

Man you know your rims.

I am doing searches on google.com and yahoo.com and only get small companies that sell perhaps one size or two sizes in their listings of the Carrera Wheel. I don't like the other mesh wheels so far except for the HRE 540 and the C2. I don't know if I want to plunk down $5-6K for a set of rims and tires so early on. I just got the car 2 weeks ago.

I would need the 40+ offset correct? I think +45 - I don't know if that will hit the front fenders or not.

In regards to the 19" is that I have talked to several people, not from here, that race on occasion tell me that 19" is a little too tall to take on corners and provide the best handling. I like control more than looks.

I have to wait to see how low my car will really sit when the H&R/Bilsteins are placed on it to determine size.

Oh BTW - I am a ricer - but not cheap

Khanh
Old 06-19-01, 07:16 AM
Knguyen OLD
Rookie

Found a web site - for the rims - sheesh - hard to read Japanese when you are not Japanese - thank goodness for the systran translator

18x9.5 with 43 offset goes for $668.00 each. But I am sure that I cannot order from Japan and get free shipping..

Does anyone sell this rim. I do like it - has anyone ever seen it on a Lexus GS?
Attached Thumbnails Wheels - opinion-clc.jpg  
Old 06-19-01, 11:12 AM
Benny
Rookie

I actually had some ADR rims on my 300zx. While they were "knock off" never had a problem with 'em. Advanti Racing out of Italy was bought out few years back by some american counterparts. At least that's the story I was told. The used to be an original, not knock off. By the way the mesh would look good on that white ride.

Quick Reply: Wheels - opinion