GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I got clear corners.....WHAT?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-01, 02:32 AM
bishop
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Globe,

What did you do about your cracked driverside vent?

Buy a new replacement?
Old 06-19-01, 03:40 AM
tae choi

Default side markers

hi those are side markers from a honda prelude 97-01
side markers on the side you have too cut a little to make it fit this will answer all quetions regards too that
Old 06-19-01, 04:54 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

Hello my loyal subjects!

First they are the 94-97 Accord rear bumper lights (Good eye to who ever got it right! ) Well this installation wasn't as easy as it may seem...

1. I had to take the yellow ones (easy access from behind the plastic skirt in the wheel) well they are 2 screws to get to one on the bottom of the car and one right in the well at the same level as the yellow light.
2. there are 2 10mm bolts holding the yellow ones in place you might want to put your hand in there to see what i'm talkin about.
3. pulled out the light then disconnected the socket..tricky part (Honda and Toyota sockets are different!!!) I had to dremmel off the plastic ends that stick out underneath the bulb...then i had to sand down just a little bit of the socket itself I made it a tight fit it was very snug almost perfect.
4. I had to join 2 of the 3 square holes that were there when you took out the yellow marker (Very easy i used a box cutter)
5. slipped the clear one in place and screwed it down (Now i have hyperwhite bulbs all around except for my HIDS) IT LOOKS AWESOME AT NIGHT!!!

This upgrade was expensive compared to grill dress-up the mod cost me $30 for the clear lights that you can get from any RICE SHOP..trust me they are always in stock.
You might want to try a different light too...I wanted to got with clear M3 blinkers (the ones with the black plastic surround but they were out of stock )

As for my CALIPERS they are painted silver (I got the paint from Home Depot for $4.99 it's Rust Oleum Silver then the Lexus is just a Vinyl sticker that i got from someone...
I will post pics of both front and back...the back ones have the "L" emblem on them they looks so cool!!!

Old 06-19-01, 09:20 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looks great until...

superjoe,

it looks great but (and I don't want to be the one to jinx you), I can't imagine the cops in NJ are any less lenient than the ones in NY and you will eventually run into one like dieselman has run into. Now that you have permanently modified the light socket it may become a more costly fix to get you back to orange sidemarkers as required by law. I don' t know what a safety inspection is like in NJ but in NY you would fail for the clear side markers. I'm not saying I wouldn't do it, because I personally like the look of the clear on my black GS over the orange, but I definitely wouldn't make that permanent a change to get that look. I think most of the others that have looked into this option have come to a similar conclusion.
Old 06-19-01, 10:29 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

did you see my plates??????????

They are from NY!!!!!! the clear in the front doesn't matter i've passed with a lot worse things than that on my honda!!!

I'm not worried at all they won't even notice it
Old 06-19-01, 12:33 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by bishop
Globe,

What did you do about your cracked driverside vent?

Buy a new replacement?

I didn't get a replacement. 140 bucks for a small piece, wtf.

I got a shop to cut out a piece of ABS plastic, 2 and 1/16 inch circle in the middle cutout, slapped on my Air/Fuel ratio gauge, painted it gunmetallic silver to match the rest of my interior.

Had to drill holes on the ABS to get some ventilation. That's the only downside to this mod, not enough AIR going through.
Old 06-19-01, 05:10 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Looks great until...

Originally posted by Johnny Mo
superjoe,

it looks great but (and I don't want to be the one to jinx you), I can't imagine the cops in NJ are any less lenient than the ones in NY and you will eventually run into one like dieselman has run into. Now that you have permanently modified the light socket it may become a more costly fix to get you back to orange sidemarkers as required by law. I don' t know what a safety inspection is like in NJ but in NY you would fail for the clear side markers. I'm not saying I wouldn't do it, because I personally like the look of the clear on my black GS over the orange, but I definitely wouldn't make that permanent a change to get that look. I think most of the others that have looked into this option have come to a similar conclusion.
Yes Johnny Mo, that is a wise comment you made !!
Old 06-19-01, 05:13 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by xsuperjoex
did you see my plates??????????

They are from NY!!!!!! the clear in the front doesn't matter i've passed with a lot worse things than that on my honda!!!

I'm not worried at all they won't even notice it

Remember, this car attracts much more attention than a Honda. SOOO many hondas around with little "illegal" stuff and cops really don't care. Though when cops see a lex or some other big league car, they will take a second look at you about busting your chops.

Though, I really like that look. !

Old 06-19-01, 07:50 PM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

i'm tellin you guys i really doubt they will even notice....some of you guys with the body kits don't even have those lights anymore...OH and by the way i can make it go back to stock if i wanted too! the screw hole that i made was so close to the stock square one that the OEM corner light would cover the hole!!!...SO HA!!! ...

I'm not worried about it at all

P.S. why would you want to make it stock anyway???
Old 06-20-01, 08:15 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default clarification

superjoe,

I thought your plates were NY, but I noticed your location said Bayonne NJ, so I took a 50/50 shot and was incorrect. Secondly, no need to get so defensive, I think the clear corners are awesome, but looking at it from a resale perspective you may limit your potential base for buyers having the clear corners. Now you say most people won't notice, but all of us here (I think I can say this without offending anyone) are fanatics about our GS's and guys/gals like us would notice. Now if you don't care about that, than customize away you have some great ideas and clean execution. I was just offering up some advice that you may not have thought about in your quest for the ultimate GS finishing touches.
Old 06-20-01, 08:19 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so we need the 94-97 accord lights and we need to cut the socket a bit and drill a small hole? is that basiclly all?
Old 06-20-01, 02:29 PM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: clarification

Originally posted by Johnny Mo
superjoe,
.....Secondly, no need to get so defensive, I think the clear corners are awesome, but looking at it from a resale perspective you may limit your potential base for buyers having the clear corners1......
Hey i'm sorry if i came off like that(i really didn't expect to get dogged )....It's just that i've seen so many of the Riced out Civics and Hondas getting harrased by the police...I know i was one of them....Anyway I do live in NJ...It's just that i have a house in Staten Island also, and insurance is a lot cheaper there than it is in NJ....Honestly i'm really not to worried about resale of the my car because it is only 2 and 1/2 months old....I plan on keeping it a couple of years and in any case i can always put the stock ones back on (i was very creative in the position that i put the new clear corner )...And truthfully i mean this, it is only noticable to the trained enthusiastic eye (which is what i want anyway)and that would be you guys!!

again i'm sorry if i sounded defensive...

Old 06-21-01, 08:29 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default superjoe

Superjoe,

its all good man, no problem. Keep up the creativity and by all means SHARE IT WITH US we LIKE what we see.

Later.