GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Pardon my ignorance but I'm a rookie

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-05, 04:50 PM
rudeboi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pardon my ignorance but I'm a rookie

What's up folks. I have a 99 gs 300 recently purchased. I'm looking to improve on the vehicle but I'm not sure which direction to take. I've already put in HRE springs and shocks (modest 1.5" drop) so I guess I've taken care of suspension. I live in Brooklyn, NY and I stay in what we term the "hood" where the politicians don't care about us or our streets so potholes are common like street signs. It's crazy out here so rock chips, wheels chips, and whatever other chips happen often. With that said I'm not really a performance head I'm more of a head turner, flossy kind of guy so I want to mod with the point of turning heads. I only have 35% tint because also out here tints and skin too dark make cops pull you over and harass you even though that happens to me a lot already. So I've done the tints and the suspension I guess I want to know what should I do next without writing longer than I have already. I'm thinkng things like wheels (biggest size you guys think I can get without sacrificing ride quality bodykits, (not sure if it can hold up with these potholes) and various lighting tricks i could use to make the car stand out. Sorry for being so long winded and hopefully I get some insight and thank you in advance for reading. oh yea sound system advice would be cool too but i don't wanna change my head unit. And remember I'm a rookie so I'm sure there's other little things i can do to make my car more "flashy" that I'm not even aware of so all your help would be appreciated. sorry for the long windedness I have troubles being brief
Old 04-20-05, 04:57 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rudeboi
What's up folks. I have a 99 gs 300 recently purchased. I'm looking to improve on the vehicle but I'm not sure which direction to take. I've already put in HRE springs and shocks (modest 1.5" drop) so I guess I've taken care of suspension. I live in Brooklyn, NY and I stay in what we term the "hood" where the politicians don't care about us or our streets so potholes are common like street signs. It's crazy out here so rock chips, wheels chips, and whatever other chips happen often. With that said I'm not really a performance head I'm more of a head turner, flossy kind of guy so I want to mod with the point of turning heads. I only have 35% tint because also out here tints and skin too dark make cops pull you over and harass you even though that happens to me a lot already. So I've done the tints and the suspension I guess I want to know what should I do next without writing longer than I have already. I'm thinkng things like wheels (biggest size you guys think I can get without sacrificing ride quality bodykits, (not sure if it can hold up with these potholes) and various lighting tricks i could use to make the car stand out. Sorry for being so long winded and hopefully I get some insight and thank you in advance for reading. oh yea sound system advice would be cool too but i don't wanna change my head unit. And remember I'm a rookie so I'm sure there's other little things i can do to make my car more "flashy" that I'm not even aware of so all your help would be appreciated. sorry for the long windedness I have troubles being brief

RB welcome to CL

have you seen the underbody leds ,windvisors and clear sidemarker lights

as far as rims size ....what are you rolling on now ?

i live in jersey and i ride on 19's but i know plenty who ride on 20's but nothing bigger please

whatcolor is yor GS
Old 04-20-05, 04:59 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

whats your budget like, there is nothing like staggered wheels or a body kit for head turning
Old 04-20-05, 06:07 PM
rudeboi
Rookie

Thanks for the two posts. As far as a bodykit I honestly don't think I could get away with one the way these streets are. What i wonder is that if i hit a bump or pot hole or just the rocky ******ed up streets that I deal with daily, will the bodykit hold up? Also unfortunately I feel shameful even saying but I'm still sitting on stocks (don't laugh at me) And I don't know how legal those underbody LED's are cause I see dudes get pulled over for those too so I doubt I'll go that route. But the windervisors seem cool. and the sidemarkers I'm having trouble finding a car with them on it so i can see how it flows. Also I don't really have a budget, but I'm not rich either. So I'll be doing my upgrades piece by piece. And thanks again for replying.
Old 04-20-05, 06:20 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WELCOME
Old 04-20-05, 06:29 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

rudeboi

welcome bro , you sound like a yardie .. are you if so respect

seeing your post it reminds me of why i left the nyc 5 yrs ago to florida..

i feel your pain with those brooklyn streets , i used to run in st albans, hollis queens and we used to have craters

good luck with your modding and again welcome
Old 04-20-05, 07:00 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Laurelton in the house
Old 04-20-05, 07:06 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by morris
Laurelton in the house
hey morris where in laurelton , my real estate office and building is still on linden and francis lewis , man i might even know you from there
Old 04-20-05, 07:28 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Rude, I hear you on the bk streets. With your moderate suspension you should be okay with 20s. if you really want to play it safe then 19s and fat tires.

As far as the kit goes, I have driven my GS with the TTE/Ltuned/LSPORTLINE, all up and down through "the hood" and had no issues. I'm in bedstuy, eny, flatbush, canarsie etc etc on a regular basis (born and raised in bk), and I never have any issues, even with the car slammed.

The TTE lip is so compact, and the Ltuned skirts go up in the middle which really helps on the driveways and such.

Do this, IMO the best approach ot modding is wheels/suspesion/aero, since one pretty much defines the next. For instance you have the H&R springs now, and the 1.5 probably looks good, but if you get 20s, then you may say its not low enough, or the front gap is bigger than the rear, etc. Same for the aero, may not flow the way you want.

Define a budget for your wheels and aero, and we can help.
Old 04-20-05, 08:01 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

rudeboi,

Welcome to CL.......I also live in BK and the streets are definitely crap, not as bad as the city though.

Since u got the suspension already, all u need is the rims and ur GS should def turn some heads. Like D2 said, go with at least 19s with the fat tire setup or if u dont drive the GS daily get the 20s.....No matter what, the ride will not be anywhere close to being as comfy as stock.

As far as bodykits, my GS only has the TTE lip but its a pain to drive around with it, gotta be extra careful entering driveways, parking lots, gas stations, speedbumps, potholes etc. Unless u hit something the bodykit will stay on, u just gotta drive real careful.
Old 04-20-05, 08:46 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Off Merrick 230th st. I used to hang out around Pop and kims and where the old Burger King used to be. I also used to spend time on Guy R brewer near section 2 in Rochdale.

I knew a lot of guys from the old boom bash crew big phil, pit, supreme, Pipe, Suplex, knockout etc.
Old 04-20-05, 09:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

rude, welcome to the forum, i am sure you will find tons of info here. as you can see a lot of people have already answered your questions

just one thing, i guess you meant to say h&r springs? i don't know if hre has springs for the car
Old 04-20-05, 09:28 PM
rudeboi
Rookie

yea i did mean h&r i was thinking about rims while i was writing i didn't notice till after i seen someone else write h&r. thanks for all the responses. I've been holding off the wheels for awhie considering sizing options and what i really want to spend. I'm waiting till after the memorial day weekend cause imma be at south beach. So i guess after my money settles I'll see what I'm dealing with. To answer lexforlife I'm haitian but I'm only in flatbush so i guess haitian/jamaican/trini we all blend pretty much. I've probably seen your car a million times already if you're in flatbush. And also I do drive daily (fill up like twice a week usually) so i was thinking more 18's or 19's. And you spoke about the air suspension which means if i did that i would have to change the h&r's i already have or no?
Old 04-20-05, 09:36 PM
rudeboi
Rookie

oh yea forgot to mention by air you guys mean that suspension where you can manually lift and lower your car? or do i have it wrong? my knowledge on cars isn't that extensive but i figure one of you guys will enlighten me. And D-2 good looking on the detailed info you kind of echoed the same thing my boy said. Basically he said rims suspension and you're good at first then you move from there.