GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lowering a GS4

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-01, 10:12 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting ready to purchase a GS400 and insist on lowering it to acquire that "aggressive look." While I see many options out there, I want a low stance without cutting the springs or spending $1500+ on coil overs. Does anyone know anything about the
L-Sportline 1.75 Springs? I am leaning towards them because of their increase drop versus Eibach's 1.3 Pro kit which isn't slammed enough.

Any help would be appreciated
Old 05-28-01, 10:16 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Go with the H&R's and Bilstein shock combo.. Not too pricey but gives you the ride and look you are looking for in my opinion.. A few of the guys here have that setup running.. I am sure they wouldn't mind posting some pics to help you out..

BTW are you going to change your rims as well??
Old 05-28-01, 10:19 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome man.

Don't think that anyone here would spend 1000+ on springs and shocks from L-Sportline when they can get coilovers for that price.

If you are considering the L-S springs/shocks that means that's your budget and I would recommend the APEXi WS dampers because they're coilvers and have adjustable height settings which can drop you 4 inches if you like.

Or try TEIN NA coilovers. They won't burn your wallet and still offer adjustable height settings.

Wouldn't spend 1000 dollars on springs/shocks man. They ARE, afterall, still just EIBACHs and BILSTENs.
Old 05-28-01, 10:23 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SYN,

for the drop you want, look no further than the H&R springs. more tha the eibachs, and the price is still reasonable. will you be changing the shocks at the same time? it is OK to stay with the stock shocks, but they will wear out faster as the stock is not designed for the progresive rating on the HRs. plus you also save an extra install labor and alignmnet cost.

if you like the bilsteins, i can have a brand new set shipped to you for $425, like several members.

william
Old 05-29-01, 04:07 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

I've got the H&Rs and like them. The drop is great without looking Rice. The Teins were overkill for me, so the H&R Biltstein combo fit the bill. I would not delay in changing the shocks. You'll save $425 now, but you'll end up paying an additional $150-$250 in the end. Why? When your stock rear shocks are bouncing all over the highway from being worn out and not able to support the additional stress, you'll have to pay another $150-$250 to have the install guys take it all apart again and put in Bilsteins. Get it all now, save on install, and have a truly great handling car.

Brian
Old 05-30-01, 09:53 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

Default Thanks

Thanks guys for the feedback. I'll let you know what turns out.

So once I drop the GS about two inches, will I have issues with 20" X 8.5 wheels rubbing when I turn? Some guy at the local custom wheel shop told me that there was some bolt on the GS4's that cut tires once it was dropped 2" with 20's. Is there any truth to that? I have an SC now with 18's dropped about 3" and there is no rubbing whatsoever on fendors, bolts, or anything else.

Once again, thanks for all of your suggestions and help!
Old 05-30-01, 10:04 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Go with the H&R/Bilstein combo...You should not have a rubbing problem, maybe just sligh rubbing of the inner plastic fender, but I have never heard of hitting a bolt. Most the guys seem to run 245-35-20 and the H&R drop with no problems. Thats going to be my set-up in a few weeks, so I will let you know. I think manary had his car a bit lower and never said anything about a bolt. Check some of the related topics on this board for some more answers.
Old 05-30-01, 11:55 PM
RacingAristo

I wonder if I drop 2 inches or more, will the car has rubbing problem? I have 18 inches wheels.
Old 05-31-01, 02:20 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

For $1000, I would go with coilovers instead. It's ALWAYS nice to have the OPTION to adjust the height...that way, you can set it EXACTLY the way you want it.

I have 20's dropped on H&R coilovers and have VERY, VERY minor rubbing issues (only on serious bumps). Of course, if you have the wheel cranked left of right and hit a bump, you're going to rub (you'd do that on practically any size rim on a lowered car...) but otherwise, I have a tad bit of fender lining rub on the front...

I'm running Nitto 555 Extremes in the following sizes...

Front - 245/35-20 on a 20" x 8.5"
Rear - 275/30-20 on a 20" x 9.5"

Here's some photos...

This one is the outer edge of all four tires. As you can see, there is no rubbing...
Attached Thumbnails Lowering a GS4-tires.jpg  
Old 05-31-01, 02:21 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Here's a photo of the fender lining. The rub spot is towards the rear of the lining (near where your feet would be when you sit in the car)

Don't mind the dirty rim, it's really not that dirty. The flash must reflect off the "semi-metallic" dust that the brake pads put out...yes, I'm going to wash the car tommorow...trust me, it surprised the hell out of me when I download the photo off the camera!
Attached Thumbnails Lowering a GS4-rub.jpg  
Old 05-31-01, 02:24 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Here is a PLASTIC "bolt" that holds the fender lining to the fender. I had a small rub on this when I hit a dip in the road with four guys in the car (all ranging from 190-280 pounds)...minimal as you can see...and I had the wheel turned...it only happened on one side.
Attached Thumbnails Lowering a GS4-fender-202.jpg  

Last edited by Manaray; 05-31-01 at 02:53 AM.
Old 05-31-01, 02:43 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Now here is a photo of the edge of the fender...this is if you were looking directly up the fender from the ground with the top of your head touching the wheel. No rubbing here.

By the way, my car has not undergone ANY SORT of fender rolling or modification. It was lowered on H&R coilovers and the rims slapped on and I was on my merry way...

I don't know the exact measurement of the lowering, but on the front, I can get only 1 finger between the tire and the fender (index finger in case you're wondering...which is approximately 0.5"-.0625" or so in diameter...) On the Back, I can get ALMOST two fingers in there (get your mind out the gutter...so mine can float by...)
Attached Thumbnails Lowering a GS4-fender-20edge.jpg  

Last edited by Manaray; 07-05-01 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-31-01, 02:44 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Here's a front and rear quarter view of the car so you can see how low (or high) it is...
Attached Thumbnails Lowering a GS4-gs430.jpg  
Old 05-31-01, 03:31 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Manaray,

Just wanted to say what a beautiful car you have created.. Not too over the top.. If I kept my GS I would of done it the way you have but with 18" or 19" wheels (Couldn't get away with 20" wheels up here).. I like the body kits that are out there but find it hard to part with $3,000 US and up..

By the way did you have any alignment problems with the H&R coilovers??
I read something from another thread and the guy couldn't get his car to align properly and was having tire wear issues..

This might be a stupid question but how easy is it to change the ride height with the H&R's?

Ken
Old 05-31-01, 03:46 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I think L-tuned is the best suspension setup for the 20'' wheels, the well gaps are perfect very very close to what manaray has. but they mite not be low enough for 18'' wheels.

L-tuned doesn't void warrenty yet still maintains the look and the comfort, IMO it's the only way go to for 20'' wheels ^^ i will post some photos soon.

Quick Reply: Lowering a GS4