GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Tight Rims !

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-01, 06:11 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What kind of rims are these? They look sooo tight !

Do you guys think they would look good on a GS too?

Old 05-28-01, 06:14 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If Im not mistaken there Lowenhearts LD1's
Old 05-28-01, 07:02 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

check out these Manaray Sports VR5 DD wheels. Looks like LD-1s but has a HUGE lip and is alot cheaper and quality is as good. Don't consider them knock-offs because IMO when the quality is not any worse and the design is improved, then it's all good.
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-01, 07:57 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know much about wheels, but what good does a huge lip do?

Also, it looks like the wheel you mentioned has the holes in the center (where the wheel screws in) while the wheels on the pic I posted doesn't.
Old 05-28-01, 08:46 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GlobeCLK, those are pretty hot. I like that deeper lip on it, makes the wheel look like it has more depth. I never heard of that company, is it new? Is it multi-piece?
Old 05-28-01, 09:19 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Nanotech,
alot of people like big lips because it makes the wheels seem wider. And also on a sedan like GS, it adds width and also that powerful punch when compared to the same design without a lip. Again that's personal preference, but IMO alot of wheels look better when it has a big lip.

But not all lips are good. I think staircase lips like those European wheels suck because it makes the wheels seem ALOT SMALLER. Like the BBS LM. Fabulous looking wheels, too bad the lips made the 18s look like 17s.

And sometimes when a wheel dont' have a lip, it might look larger because the spokes go out all the way. Check out BLiu's SS7s and the 18s look like 19s.

Dieselman,
Manaray Sports is not a new company. It's been around for a while. I have not seen a MS wheel personally but from what I've heard the quality is very good.

2 REALLY GOOD THING about MS wheels is that 1) the wheels have HUGE lips like this one, and 2) VERY VERY CHEAP. According to my magazine, these VR5 DDs, 235/40/18 front and 265/35/18 rear with SP9000 tires will cost around 175,000 yen (roughly 1450 USD) VERY GOOD DEAL!
Old 05-29-01, 02:18 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Does anyone know if those are 19" or 20" LD1's on that SC?

Manaray Sports - Yes, they are good quality rims and pretty inexpensive...

For me, those are TOO close to the LD1. The LD1's were first and I've seen a few other knock-offs and "minor variations" but I think the LD1's still look the best and if I was going for that look, I wouldn't anything but LD1's...

Although they're not 100% knock-offs, I think they're a little too close and I would consider them knock-offs.

I still think the AutoCouture Supreme's look better for a non-Mercedes looking dish type wheel...

As far as "normal" lips (as opposed to the straight "reverse" lips), I agree. Some of the Euro brands REALLY stairstep the lip and make the rims look really small. Another advantage to "reverse" lips is that it makes the lip look deeper...

Luckily, with 20" "normal" lip wheels, I don't really have a problem with them looking "small".
Old 05-29-01, 12:18 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Here is picture of the LD-1's on a black GS from Sprewell Racings site...
http://www.sprewellracing.com/galler...exus&make_n=15
Old 06-01-01, 05:56 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Manaray, what do you mean by reverse lip? I am considering the RH m5 in 19". What type of lip would this be considered? Thanks, Tiny

Originally posted by manaray
Does anyone know if those are 19" or 20" LD1's on that SC?

Manaray Sports - Yes, they are good quality rims and pretty inexpensive...

For me, those are TOO close to the LD1. The LD1's were first and I've seen a few other knock-offs and "minor variations" but I think the LD1's still look the best and if I was going for that look, I wouldn't anything but LD1's...

Although they're not 100% knock-offs, I think they're a little too close and I would consider them knock-offs.

I still think the AutoCouture Supreme's look better for a non-Mercedes looking dish type wheel...

As far as "normal" lips (as opposed to the straight "reverse" lips), I agree. Some of the Euro brands REALLY stairstep the lip and make the rims look really small. Another advantage to "reverse" lips is that it makes the lip look deeper...

Luckily, with 20" "normal" lip wheels, I don't really have a problem with them looking "small".
Old 06-01-01, 07:18 PM
RacingAristo

silver cast Lowenhart LD1.
Old 06-02-01, 02:52 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

TinyGS - A "Normal" lip is when the lip of the rim is "stairstepped"...

A "Reverse" lip is when the lip of the rim is straight. All Lowenharts are "reverse" lip. It's called "reverse" because the rim is literally turned around so on a "reverse" lip rim, the side you see is actually the side you don't see of a "normal" lip rim. Of course, the center disk (the spokes or whatnot) is turned around also...Did that make sense?

Eh, here's a quick little drawing I threw together...not 100% technically correct but you'll get the gist of it...
Attached Thumbnails Tight Rims !-nvsr.jpg  
Old 06-02-01, 08:19 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

manary those are 19" on the SC Ive seen that guy before on the SC forum he said they are 19" 20's are too big for SC's and they just look bad on them IMO
Old 06-02-01, 09:07 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here they are on a GS4, plus i saw them up close on a GS 20" with Rod Millen Kit in Florida, they look AMAZING! and they're HUGE!!!!

i was always set on 19s, but now i want 20s more and more because they are so big!!
Attached Thumbnails Tight Rims !-nicerims.jpg  
Old 06-02-01, 09:13 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

You wanna see a niiiiiiiceeeee setup of a GS with LD-1's!

here you go.

AS i said before, I REGRET getting a wing !
Attached Thumbnails Tight Rims !-blackgs1.jpg  
Old 06-02-01, 01:25 PM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Sasha,

I agree with you about the 20's. They aren't practical at all but, DAMN DO THEY LOOK GOOD!! However, I noticed on Wei's car (he has 20's) that they really aren't THAT BIG!! It puts 18's to shame, but the GS looks like it could handle 21's!!

Has anyone ever tried 21's on a GS?? Dare I say 22's??

I'm sure there would be a TON of rub and stuff but could it be possible for maybe a show car?? Or could it even be possible for a daily driver??

Quick Reply: Tight Rims !