GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

sunroof shade rattle fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-05, 08:37 PM
metfan53
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sunroof One Touch Operation

Have a 2003 ES 300. All of a sudden my sunroof does not have the one touch operation, you have to hold the button.....Also have an intermittant problem with the passenger front dood power window, it will not always work....Have to get the car back to the dealer, but i am concerned about the sunroof...Thanks in advance!!!

Old 07-12-05, 11:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by metfan53
Have a 2003 ES 300. All of a sudden my sunroof does not have the one touch operation, you have to hold the button.....Also have an intermittant problem with the passenger front dood power window, it will not always work....Have to get the car back to the dealer, but i am concerned about the sunroof...Thanks in advance!!!

?!?!?! maybe you can get better response in the es forum?
Old 07-13-05, 12:10 AM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

im gonna check my roof tomorrow to see if it rattles when i have it open.
Old 02-03-06, 01:34 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

bringing this back from the dead.

i found some sticky foam window seal insulation. that comes in a thin roll... is this appropriate? if so, which side should i be sticking to?
Old 02-08-06, 10:09 PM
jaja
Pole Position

don't mean to hijack the thread but I have this gremlin in my sunroof that prevents it from closing... i have to 'tilt' it open the second it closes. any ideas? and no i'm not going to the dlr.
Old 11-28-06, 10:48 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Well, add me to the list of someone who now has the dreaded clicking/tapping sound. It's definitely the sunshade because the noise goes away when I press up on the shade.

Henry, here's the part I don't understand. In order, from bottom to top, you have the headliner, the rail, and the sunshade. Does the foam go between the headliner and the rail or between the rail and the sunshade? I'm guessing it goes between the rail and the sunshade, but I can't tell from this picture:

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da..._4801_copy.jpg

Also, assuming it goes between the rail and the sunshade, how is it that the foam moves with the sunshade as you open and close it?

e
Old 11-29-06, 09:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ah yes, eric, it goes between the rail and the shade. you need to make sure you put on a relatively "thick" piece and kind of jam it in. that way it will be "stuck" there and move with the shade. mine has been there for yrs and still good
Old 11-29-06, 10:37 AM
HybrdArsto
Driver

Awesome thread, my car has the sunroof rattle as well.

Question for you Rominl, do you remember where you got the foam you used?
Old 11-29-06, 10:48 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
ah yes, eric, it goes between the rail and the shade. you need to make sure you put on a relatively "thick" piece and kind of jam it in. that way it will be "stuck" there and move with the shade. mine has been there for yrs and still good
Thanks, Henry. Makes sense. I second the earlier question -- what did you use and where did you get it? Is it a highly compressible material (like a sponge) or is it something harder (like soft rubber)?

e
Old 11-29-06, 10:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

my mechanic got the stuff, but you can find them easily on wrapping stuff, those high density wrapping foam, or those back foam you see from a motherboard package
Old 11-30-06, 04:42 PM
Vic Nyce
Lead Lap

i read this on the hidden features thread. if u press the open sunroof button after it has fully opened, it will slide back a tiny bit more. it tightens up the slack and stops the tapping sound. worked for original poster and myself
Old 11-30-06, 05:23 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vic Nyce
i read this on the hidden features thread. if u press the open sunroof button after it has fully opened, it will slide back a tiny bit more. it tightens up the slack and stops the tapping sound. worked for original poster and myself
But my tapping is with the sunroof closed. I think I gotta get me some foam.

e
Old 01-14-07, 12:38 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Default Rattle Fixed!!!!!!

Hey guys. Here's what I used and it works very well. I used a 4-5 inch strip on each side. Just pull the sunshade all the way back, cut the molding to size, and slide it over the guide rail that sits just beneath the sunshade. The only problem is that because the strip has a slight adhesive on the inside, it doesn't slide on the rail when you pull the sunshade forward. And actually, because of the notches towards the front of the sunshade, the strips will fall off when you try to close the sunshade. I keep my sunshade open at all times, so this really isn't a problem for me. Ideally, if you can cut a small strip of this, clean out the adhesive, and position it between the notches described by Henry above, it would work perfectly. Hope this helps.

e

EDIT: I'm thinking I might try using a smaller piece and positioning it between the notches on the sunshade (when you look at it, you'll know what I'm talking about). However, instead of sliding the strip onto the rail, I may just put the entire strip above the rail. This way, the adhesive won't be in contact with the rail and I think it will slide along with the sunshade. Does this make sense?
Attached Thumbnails sunroof shade rattle fix-dscn7384-resized-.jpg  

Last edited by e-man; 01-14-07 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-14-07, 10:06 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Here's a picture of the sunshade with the molding strip on the rail:
Attached Thumbnails sunroof shade rattle fix-dscn7390-resized-.jpg  
Old 01-14-07, 10:08 PM
e-man
Pole Position

This is what I was talking about above. Ideally, I'd like to position a smaller piece of molding either on the rail or above the rail between these two notches on the sunshade. Unfortunately, because of the adhesive on the molding strip, it won't slide with the sunshade and just falls off:
Attached Thumbnails sunroof shade rattle fix-dscn7391-resized-.jpg  

Quick Reply: sunroof shade rattle fix