GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

sunroof shade rattle fix

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-05, 03:12 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Awesome Henry, thanks so much for doing this. Much appreciated. Will give it a try.

One question, why doesn't the foam you put in move around? Should it be stick down foam?
Yea I'm fuzzy on this too. Is the foam supposed to move with the shade or No?

How does the foam keep from poping out after a little back and forth use?
Old 02-07-05, 03:44 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome Henry, thanks so much for doing this. Much appreciated. Will give it a try.

One question, why doesn't the foam you put in move around? Should it be stick down foam?
that's what I'm wondering too. sticky foam on one side or just reg foam. I have some of that insulation foam that ac guys use on pipes which would be perfect if it doesn't have to be sticky.
Old 02-07-05, 03:51 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
that's what I'm wondering too. sticky foam on one side or just reg foam. I have some of that insulation foam that ac guys use on pipes which would be perfect if it doesn't have to be sticky.
From what rominl told me, it is not sticky so it is not held there by any adhesive.
Old 02-07-05, 04:27 PM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rattle... !@#$!!!

Well, now I know how to fix that.. but also my headliner keeps coming loose just at the edge of the sunroof opening(not by the map light, but the bottom.... What can I use to make sure it stops coming undone with the sticky stuff they use at Lexus. I have had this done like 5 times that I recall right at this moment. It is very annoying... It just drops right at the center of the SR.

Gracias chavos,
Rock
Old 02-07-05, 04:30 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great post Henry!
The timing of this post is impeccable. I was driving my GS THIS morning casually with radio off on my way to work. I noticed this annoying rattle coming from the sunroof. I couldn't remember if I got this fixed by Lexus before. Then I remembered there was a TSB for this and it was repaired by Lexus when my car was still under warranty. I believe they just replaced the entire sunshade. However, I just started hearing the rattle for the first time today on my way to work. I log into CL and hence a ROMINL thread addressing the issue with more importantly a fix!

So Henry you get the 2 BIG thumbs up
Old 02-07-05, 05:27 PM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about a DIY section on this website that would rock. I have a DIY underbody LED almost done plus some other things
Old 02-07-05, 05:32 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's called Armaflex...

(it pays to work for an HVAC contractor for 7 years) LOL!
Old 02-07-05, 10:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

that's where the "control" on the amount of foam came from. if you put on enough foam, it's going to be pretty tight and the friction and what not will not cause the foam to fall off. well at least it's been over a yr and everything is still the same.

i would suggest putting in some foam that's very "loose" when uncompressed, that will give it more volumn.

one quick example (where i got mine) would be the little piece of foam that you got at the bottom of the box for computer motherboards. when you take out the motherboards someties you get these thin layer of foam. that's excactly what i use

i am glad that i could be of some help here
Old 02-07-05, 10:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by alexulan
Yea I'm fuzzy on this too. Is the foam supposed to move with the shade or No?

How does the foam keep from poping out after a little back and forth use?
if you use the flat head to jam the foam in well enough, it should work.

for the record i open and close my sunroof every single day coz' i let more sun coming in during the day. so that means i have done that over 400 times already and still solid
Old 02-07-05, 10:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

if you can actually use sticky foam i think you wil get the same result. but given the area to work on, and how tight it is, i am not sure if you can stick in sticky foam though. worth a try of course
Old 02-07-05, 10:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Rockero28
Well, now I know how to fix that.. but also my headliner keeps coming loose just at the edge of the sunroof opening(not by the map light, but the bottom.... What can I use to make sure it stops coming undone with the sticky stuff they use at Lexus. I have had this done like 5 times that I recall right at this moment. It is very annoying... It just drops right at the center of the SR.

Gracias chavos,
Rock
umm a bit confused, where is it exactly? i wonder if some clips are broken or what? if it's adhesive, i am sure if you add more back it should stick?
Old 02-07-05, 10:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by DrewGS4
Great post Henry!
The timing of this post is impeccable. I was driving my GS THIS morning casually with radio off on my way to work. I noticed this annoying rattle coming from the sunroof. I couldn't remember if I got this fixed by Lexus before. Then I remembered there was a TSB for this and it was repaired by Lexus when my car was still under warranty. I believe they just replaced the entire sunshade. However, I just started hearing the rattle for the first time today on my way to work. I log into CL and hence a ROMINL thread addressing the issue with more importantly a fix!

So Henry you get the 2 BIG thumbs up
hey no problem drew, any time at your service

in fact, my car DID go into the dealership once for the warranty work (TSB) for teh sunroof, and that's with the old owner. when i got the car, i took it in again and they changed the WHOLE sunshade for me again under good will

but that still didnt' fix the problem. well at least this fix did everything for me
Old 02-07-05, 10:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by LasVegasGS
How about a DIY section on this website that would rock. I have a DIY underbody LED almost done plus some other things
it doesn't hurt to make a thread for your stuff
Old 02-08-05, 05:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Just read your directions again and think I understand, but the foam you put in, does it move with the sunshade after you've put it in? And if it's not stuck down, why doesn't it just get pushed out or fall out when the shade is moved back and forward?
Old 02-08-05, 02:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Just read your directions again and think I understand, but the foam you put in, does it move with the sunshade after you've put it in? And if it's not stuck down, why doesn't it just get pushed out or fall out when the shade is moved back and forward?
yup, it moves together with the shade (right under the tabs i mentioned) and never fall out of place. i think the kind of foam you use is important. there is the kind of foam you use for packing, those won't work. the kind of foam as in weather stripping i think those are a closer description of what i have in there

Quick Reply: sunroof shade rattle fix