GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Rim ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-01, 11:08 AM
Benny
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't decide between something like an AMG benz look of a Carlsson 1/6 or O.Z. Opera Modular. Or going completey different with a five star traditional look of the O.Z. vela 2 pc. what are others thoughts on this?
Old 05-22-01, 12:13 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you try the simulator on www.tirerack.com? i think it gives you a good idea.

i saw mkilty(mike)'s gs w/oz opera modular wheels, very classy and elegant for the GS.

OZ Velas are also nice, more sporty and aggressive. both are quality wheels; but wheel choices are very personal. i for one, would not have BENZ tuner wheels on lexus.
Old 05-22-01, 12:44 PM
Benny
Rookie

tirerack has not helped out my dilemma. Have sat on it at work for the last two weeks along with every other wheel site I can find. thanks for your opinion on the benz blades though.
Old 05-22-01, 01:03 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with GS4Will (deja vue?)

Why make the Lexus look like a Benz?

Brent
Old 05-22-01, 10:07 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

3 major things when you consider rims for your Lexus:

1) NO, I mean Absolutely NO MERCEDES rims. and NO BMW rims. If you want AMG then get a MB. Don't downgrade yourself. You might just like the looks. But remember the golden rule: NO MB or BMW wheels on a Lexus.

2) Never use knock-offs. Axis, Konig, etc. etc. Manaray?

3) ............. did I mention no MB rims?

If you want something euro, get BBS or OZ.
Old 05-22-01, 11:54 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

I swear, sometimes I think GlobeCLK and I are the same person!

RULE OF THUMB (again, for clarification plus a couple more...):

1) NO Mercedes or BMW tuner rims. This includes the following: AMG, Carlsson, Brabus, Lorinser, AC Schnitzer, Hamann, Breyton, Hartge, Kelleners, MK Motorsports, MVR, Alpina, etc.

2) NO "other brand" tuners (like VW, Nissan, etc.) This includes the following: Nismo, ABT Sportsline, Oettinger, etc.

3) NO cheezy knock-offs. Brands like Konig, Giovanna, G-Sport, Axis, ALT, Loko, Tenzo, Zenetti, Smiths, Katana, Primax, Panther, Ace, etc.

4) (Optional as this is a matter of taste...or lack thereof) NO wacked brands like Omega, Arelli, Lexani, Alba, Neeper, Niche, etc...leave that for the Cadillacs and Buicks.

5) Make sure you follow at least 1, 2, and 3.

Smile, it's a beautiful day.

Last edited by Manaray; 05-23-01 at 05:31 AM.
Old 05-23-01, 12:54 AM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Globe and Manaray you guys are hilarious.

I have a friend who put konig tantrums on his Accord and i thought they looked good. But then i went to clublexus and found out they were knock offs . Now whenever i see his car i just laugh at him for having knock offs.

I wonder should i tell him what i'm laughing at.
Old 05-23-01, 04:24 AM
Bobcat
Pole Position

Manaray and other rims gurus:

I really liked your 5 point list of what NOT TO GET. Now, do me a big favor and make a list of the brands/models that are on the "acceptable" list. I know about Lowenhart and HRE (very expensive), what about some others?

Thanks in advance.

Bobcat
Old 05-23-01, 05:28 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

1niceride - Hehehehehe...that's funny...but you're poor friend probably didn't know any better...that's how companies that like make money...they get the unexperienced/newbie types or the ones who are just desperate to get rims (they don't/can't wait and save up more money for something better)...or he doesn't care.

I'm not a rim guru, I just know what I like and have standards and principles that I follow. I think Miguel should probably have that title...he seems to know a little too much about rims...and physics...

However, I will attempt to help you out...let's go through a checklist of sorts (FYI, some of these questions are intertwined). Please fill in the ???

1) Your Car - 1998 Lexus GS400

2) Color of car - White

3) Fundage - ???
(just give me the maximum you'd be willing to spend JUST ON RIMS, no tires...I'm talking to the threshold where putting in another dollar would kill you. This decision will determine what brands, sizes, finishes, etc. that you'll be looking at...very important)

4) Maximum rim size you want to go - ???
(remember to consider factors like comfort, fundage to buy replacement tires, "the look", etc.)

5) Finish (Silver, Diamond, High Polish, Chrome, etc.) - ???

6) Fashion or Function or both (50/50, 60/40, etc.) - ???
(Is enhancing the look of your car more important than having the lightest rims on the market or vice versa or both?)

7) What "look" are going for? Classy/Elegant, Sporty, Super Sport/Gran Turismo, or "I don't really give a rat's *** so long as it looks good" - ???

Answering those questions will help make this selection process go smoother (maybe )
Old 05-23-01, 07:16 AM
Bobcat
Pole Position

OK Manaray:

1) 99 GS400

2) white

3) $3500 (would rather be a bit less, but....)

4) 18x8.5f / 18x10r .... or thereabouts

5) I like silver finish with highly polished lip (?) but would consider others. Definitely don't want to be too flashy (for example, I like the Lowenhart BSD in chrome, but it's probably too shiny for me).

6) 50/50

7) I want a cross between classy and sporty. For I while I liked the Oz Opera but lately I'm thinking that they're a little too conservative.

Thanks a million.
Old 05-23-01, 12:25 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Before Manaray gets here I'll speak up:

With $3500 you can get most Japanese wheels at 18 inch.

IMO you can't go wrong with Japanese performance brands like VolkRacing, Work, SSR, or Advan. Enkei and RacingHarts are good too, but beware, because some Enkeis and RHs suck. The big 4 I mentioned have generally great rims. Lightweight, durable, reasonably priced.

Again, if you want looks and performance 50/50 you're not gonna get it from chrome wheels. LowenHarts is more like 80looks/20performance.

The best one I can think of, cross between classy and sporty, lightweight, durable, cost-effective, 18x8.5 front 18x9.5 rear, silver with polished lip, is the VolkRacing LE37-K. But that's the one I want so you gotta look somewhere else j/k

look around. I would recommend Japanese wheels on a Lexus. The cost, looks, performance, quality, everything.
Old 05-23-01, 01:35 PM
Bobcat
Pole Position

Thanks for your reply Globe.

When I look at this link I cannot find the specific Volk wheel you're talkin about.

http://www.volkracing.co.jp/99contents/j_contents.htm

Can you post pics or a link?

Bobcat
Old 05-23-01, 02:12 PM
Overtaxed
Driver

Here's a GS with the OZ Operas.

I really like the Opera II but maybe that's because I'm European.

Please note that the Opera II will not fit a GS without modification. I'm having the "bolt circle" (don't know what you call it in English) increased a few millimeters and will get them back next week. I don't know about the Opera III that mkilty's got.

Old 05-23-01, 02:17 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Default to OT

Hi Per,

is that your gs in the picture? i recognized the euro rear light. the car has very attractive body kits. do you know what type of kit that is?

thank you
Old 05-23-01, 02:27 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Wink or....

You can do what I did and get the best of both worlds!
I got my 18x8 Volk Racing AV3 used for $800 with just minor scratches!!!!
Add on Toyo tires and I got four new rims and tires for less then $2000!!!!
Go find some used ones! Ebay, etc....

Quick Reply: Rim ideas.