GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Gs4 Console Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-05, 03:43 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GS4 Console Bulbs

I recently noticed that the instrument panel bulb in the switch that controls the transmission shift mode had blown out, so I planned to take apart the console to find it and replace it. I consulted manuals at most of the parts stores, and I bought some 194LL bulbs to replace it

The console has the shifter switch (SNOW-NORM-POWER), 2 switches for the heated seats, and one switch for the VSC. All the switches light up in green when the headlight switch is turned on, and the heated seat switches have another bulb in orange to signal when each seat is on respectively.

I took the console apart, which was very easy, and unscrewed the switch panel from the console applique, and pried the shifter switch away from the switch panel. It appears that each of the switches in that panel have different sized bulbs, and these are very hard to get besides the dealer. I found that I was at the mercyof the dealer, and prices ranged from 5 to 15 dollars for one bulb.

The bulb for the shifter switch has a Blue housing, with a green covering over the bulb area to make it appear green when the light is on. I called and ordered 1 plus 3 extra bulbs for the rest just in case they go out. When I received the bulbs and tore the panel down again, I found that they sold me the wrong bulbs.

After waiting all weekend, I finally got the right bulb yesterday and put it in last night.

My plan, when I started writing this, was to post the pictures of the bulb and the procedure, but I can't seem to find my disk with the pictures on it. I will post these as soon as I can.

I forgot to mention that either these bulbs last a long time, or the parts guys are not very adept at findng them because one dealer told me that there was no way to get just the bulb, and I would have to replace the whole switch (which I found RIDICULOUS).

Just remember that all the bulbs have a different colored holder, and are different sized. I would not be suprised if they operate off of different voltages. In most of my other cars, I have found that the dash panel operates off of reduced voltages..(5 or 6 volts DC instead of the whole 12).

I plugged one of the wrong bulbs in the shifter switch, turned it on, and blew out the bulb in about 2 seconds. This was a small bulb with the white holder and green tip.

I am sure that someone knows how to get these bulbs from someone other than the dealer. If so, I would welcome the information. I can't be the only person that has had blown instrument panel bulbs.

MORE TOMORROW!

Last edited by gserep1; 02-01-05 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-01-05, 06:02 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bulb for the Snow/Power mode blew out last week.....
Old 02-01-05, 09:56 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Must be a trend, cuz mine all went out 2 weeks ago! How rediculious is that price per bulb.

That sucks!!!

John
Old 02-02-05, 09:22 AM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I Guess It Is A Trend

I took pictures of the bulb and sent it to various bulb companies on the internet, and NO one had it. Very strange indeed. The bulbs 2 wires actually go through the holder, and they are bent around it in such a way as to allow both bare wires to touch the terminal board of the switch when screwed in.

So getting the bulb separately is one thing, removing and installing the new one correctly is another. So unless someone has a better idea, we are screwed. We HAVE to go to the dealership to get it.

I will include some pictures and part numbers. Maybe we can find some place else to buy them.

The CORRECT bulb for the snow/norm/power switch is: 83119-24670 and may have a BLUE holder or a GREEN. BE SURE to keep the GREEN cover that fits over the bulb, OR, you will have a bright WHITE light showing through while all the other switches are green tinted. I LOST my green cover for a day or so, and the light was so bright, I tore the interior apart to find the cover. It is VERY SMALL, so be careful.

The correct bulb for the VSC switch is 90010-01039 It is WHITE, has a green cover over the bulb, and is VERY VERY SMALL. I was sold this one first for snow/norm/power switch. It looked too small, I installed it anyway because I had it apart, and it blew out in 2 seconds.

There is another bulb for the heated seats , and it has a BROWN holder. This one bulb lights both switches for illumination. Additionally, there is yet another bulb for the seat heater switches that indicates when the respective switch is turned "on" to heat the seats.

Those lights operate separately whenever the heater switch is turned on, night or day I am not sure what kind of bulb that is, because I didn't disassemble that part of the heater switches. The heater switches also come as one asembly, so in case of malfunction or replacement, both switches have to be replaced.

I apologize if this sounds confusing. I'll bet that TOYOTA has these same bulbs for a cheaper price. I will check, and let everyone know what I find.

NOTE.....................................

I tried to download the jpeg pictures of the bulbs, but the files are about 400 k each, and the limit is 100k. Once I find a way to reduce the size of the photos, I will send them. There has to be something I am missing, because I see pictures posted everyday that are larger than these...HELP someone.

Last edited by gserep1; 02-02-05 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-02-05, 09:39 AM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Sent you a PM regarding this subject.

John
Old 02-02-05, 09:49 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JohnGS4
Must be a trend, cuz mine all went out 2 weeks ago! How rediculious is that price per bulb.

That sucks!!!

John
OI!!!