GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

anyone knows if I couls install the tte front lip spoiler by myself

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-05, 01:07 AM
flashbang
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone knows if I couls install the tte front lip spoiler by myself

I'm planing to buy the tte front lip spoiler and want to install it myself.
Anyone have any suggestion or know how to install the tte front lip spoiler.
Is it easy to do ?
Old 01-24-05, 01:16 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is doable but definitely easier with more than one person. Since you are working with adhesive, holding things up, and trying to align things, you might want to get a few buddies to come over and help.
Old 01-24-05, 03:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yup i agree. i would imagine 3 people to be the best, one front, and two on each side. the front has to hold the front adhesive and push it up, and the two sides push it up too. you want it to be on very tight
Old 01-24-05, 03:37 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

It comes unpainted unless you've made special arrangements, so don't forget that step.
Old 01-24-05, 05:07 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

installing of the lip is like butter but you do need 3 people pref 2 would work though.. i have done 4 of them already in my garage.. prep work is the key.. firstly the lip has to be pliable so you will need to leave in the sun for a hour or 2 to get flexible, then test mount and go for a snug fit, use a wax pencil and trace the top edge all around the top of the lip to where it meets the bumper to establish a sanding line ..remove lip and sand below that line , use mineral spirits to clean up residue after sanding , then sand along inner edge of lip and clean up residue there as well with mineral spirits.. as far as adhesive , in all 4 cases i did not use the cheap garbage tte sends , i use a ureth to ureth bonding sealant which glass installers use to adhere windshields for when that cures theres no turning back.(my lip has been mounted for almost 2 yrs in the south florida heat ) squeeze a bead of the good stuff along the inner edge of the lip from end to end , get your screws together and make sure you have plenty of paper towels and mineral spirits ready for when you mount a small amount odf adhesive will ooze and you want to wipe that up well before drying time sets in,, the rest is self expla in terms of the screws

thats really about it , now after mounting the car needs to be in a garage overnight to cure and you need to prop up the lip with just enough pressure to aide in the bonding and curing process( i sed my floor jace with a piece of 2x4 wrapped in a towel to get the front snug then telephone books at each corner to prop up and then get the blue painters masking tape and tape up all around the the bottom of the lip to the hood of the car to also help keep the pressure on , thats the key to a snug fit and a complete seal /bond between lip and bumper
Old 01-24-05, 09:25 AM
Neo
The One

Nice informative post Ed. My installer used the same urethane to put on mine (and my spoilers). It's not going anywhere.
Old 01-24-05, 08:10 PM
flashbang
Driver

Thanks Guys You Guys Been Very Helpful.
Now I Feel Much More Confidence Doing It My Self And Some Freinds.
Old 01-24-05, 09:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

wow ed, that's some very useful info there! nice trick with the wax pen

so you must be a pro installing the lip now
Old 01-26-05, 12:44 PM
GS408
Pole Position

where can i get that ureth to ureth boding sealant and the mineral spirits? thanks in advance
Old 01-26-05, 01:10 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just drive down to Florida and give Lexforlife a call. He seems like a pro at this one.
Old 01-26-05, 01:26 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
Just drive down to Florida and give Lexforlife a call. He seems like a pro at this one.
you guys are too funny.. the mineral spirits from home depot or lowes the adhesive/bonding agent from a big modern body shop or glass installer

as far as pro i would not go that far but mine has seemed to hold up well in this florida 100 deg heat since 6/03 when installed by me i just like doing things for myself

heres a closeup of mine photo taken this month

Old 01-26-05, 05:12 PM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

lexforlife,

very nice man! very clean the tte/l-tuned grill combo looks really sweet
Old 01-26-05, 05:17 PM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yup i agree. i would imagine 3 people to be the best, one front, and two on each side. the front has to hold the front adhesive and push it up, and the two sides push it up too. you want it to be on very tight

3 people to install the TTE lip????? my god...you guys are spoiled. 1 person is enough =P
Old 01-26-05, 08:38 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PandaGS430
3 people to install the TTE lip????? my god...you guys are spoiled. 1 person is enough =P
heh heh... yep I did mine all by myself as well. I used those little blue and yellow quick-release vises with the yellow rubber pads to hold the lip in place overnight. Bought them at Home Depot. I used the adhesive that came with the lip and also screwed in the five screws. It worked great!!! And yes, that adhesive is a real bear to get off of places where you don't want it, so be careful!
Old 01-26-05, 08:54 PM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by PandaGS430
I don't think anyone said it was impossible with 1, just easier with more than 1.

Quick Reply: anyone knows if I couls install the tte front lip spoiler by myself