GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

SAT radio for my GS, XM or Sirus, Cassette or RF modulator?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-05, 06:25 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAT radio for my GS, XM or Sirus, Cassette or RF modulator?

I'm ready to take the plung into SAT radio and I have a few q's:

- XM or Sirus?

- I'm not tearing up my Lexus, so I'm going to get a car kit/boom box auto/office kit. Should I go with an RF modulator (and get the SAT radio through the Lexus radio) or go with the cassette tape input (and get the SAT radio through the Lexus cassette)?
Old 01-13-05, 08:26 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use XM. I have friends who use either or. There's hardly any difference at all between then in terms of programming and sound quality. XM is bigger here in the states and they cost a little less.

Really just a personal preference.

Between the two options you gave, most defintely go with RF.
Old 01-13-05, 12:18 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Or since you have a GS430 with navigation, you could go this route for the more integrated solution:

http://www.vaistech.com/avic100x.html
Old 01-13-05, 01:12 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Sirius for STERN lol
Old 01-13-05, 01:18 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have had both....I don't like the XM programming...music isn't my style

I now have Sirius and love it....btw make sure to get the tape adapter...sounds great with it
Old 01-13-05, 01:23 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
i have had both....I don't like the XM programming...music isn't my style

I now have Sirius and love it....btw make sure to get the tape adapter...sounds great with it
Tape adapters are factually lower quality that RF, unless you have a poorly install RF adapter or something.
Old 01-13-05, 01:37 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

I have had XM for a couple of years and it has come a long way, the Roady2 now has a built in wireless FM transmitter eliminating the need for modulators or cassette adaptors, better still the new XM 2 Go has the wireless transmitter and can be carried like an Ipod when you leave the car.
Old 01-13-05, 01:38 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Threxx
Tape adapters are factually lower quality that RF, unless you have a poorly install RF adapter or something.

where do you get your facts from? living in NYC, I have access to the best FM strength available and there is no way in hell FM modded it sounds as good or as loud as it does thru tape deck.
Old 01-13-05, 01:48 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

I have sirius and am extremely happy with the programming. I have a wide range in music that I like and the programming more than covers everything.
Old 01-13-05, 02:00 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
where do you get your facts from? living in NYC, I have access to the best FM strength available and there is no way in hell FM modded it sounds as good or as loud as it does thru tape deck.
If it's not loud enough then follow these instructions:
http://sounds.xmradio.com/

I've had XM since 2 months after it first came out several years back. I've tried everything from tape to RF to RCA to even a digital/optical uplink. I'm an obsessive audiophile on top of that... these days I focus a lot more on home stuff, but that doesn't mean I didn't play around with cars fanatically a few years back.

If you really don't believe me that RF gives significantly better SQ than tape go here:
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/IS...int=1&page=all

For the car, two types of kits are generally available: one features a cassette adapter, the other an RF modulator. The cassette adapter works just like the ones you'll find with portable CD players: you simply plug it into the satellite radio tuner, slide the cassette-shaped end into your tape deck, and the signal plays through your stereo. The RF modulator in these kits works exactly as described on the previous page (except for the Audiovox Shuttle: it also gives you the option of a wireless modulator, which requires no connection to your stereo's antenna). The advantage to the cassette adapter is convenience; however, the sound quality of the modulated system will be significantly better.
And there you have it. I've also seen that fact mentioned numerous times on the XM Delphi website and forums. But never really thought much of it since I already knew it to be true.

Again... if you had a bad experience with RF then I suspect it just wasn't installed properly. (You really should have a direct connection to your FM antenna at your HU or wherever is most convenient) Either that or you had a conflicting radio station in your area that was on or near the same frequency. When I go from Memphis to Nashville there's a station just outside of Nashville near Murfreeborough that fights with my XM. I would change my XM tuner's frequency but I'm rarely ever in Nashville so no big deal.
Old 03-29-14, 10:10 AM
rx400hkeo
Driver School Candidate

I have gone thru 2 cassette adapters and Tired of it stopping and ejecting every time. Going to install FM Direct Adapter.
what are thoughts about this?

Keo
Old 03-29-14, 01:45 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

wow old thread bump. FM Radio will get interference. i don't like it.

maybe some variant of this would work for you?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...intensive.html
Old 03-30-14, 04:44 PM
929rider
Driver

I have the cd changer aux input on my xm. perfect sound quality. 3.5mm jack.