GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Calling Gs4will ......

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-01, 05:55 PM
Juan C. Cos

Hey William, how are you buddy? Thanks for responding to my post, but the extended warranty discussion is more appropriate here.
Anyway, can you provide me with more details on the "warranty gold" you mentioned? Does it matter that I do my maintenance? Just 2 oil changes so far, since I only have 10K miles, and the first two were included.
I tried looking for a post on extended warranties that you commented on (shown on your profile as a last comment yesterday; I tried to e-mail you), but I couldn't find it; where is it?

Thanks bud!

Juan Carlos
Old 05-15-01, 11:52 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Juan,

it is on this(pg 1), under the head line "best extended warranty". each of the warranty listed by members has its own site, call them and ask for a copy of disclousures.
as long as the minor and major service is performed by reputable shops, and i am sure you will keep all the record, you should be fine.

you might also want to try consumerreport.com, they also rated diff warranty ins co.

also call 1800-92-longo, or 626-5806200, and ask for GARY Littleton, or the finance dept. longo lexus sell 2-3 different kind of ext warranty. Gary should be able to find one that is the best for you. the one i had before on an old LS was fully refundable if i never file a claim.

let me know if you need any more info.

william
Old 05-17-01, 03:26 PM
Juan C. Cos

Thanks a lot for responding William. I found the thread (it was probably far behind when I looked the first time; first 2 pages only).
As for the maintenance, I plan on doing it myself, not a shop. The only shop in town for Lexus is the 40-mile-away dealer, and I'm not planning to go there if I can avoid it. The most I would tackle is the valve adjustment and belt replacement, but I'm far away from that. In the meantime, is just fluid changes, filters and spark plugs: piece of cake. I'll buy the manual if nobody buys my car, in case I'm missing a simple lube here and there.
I need to find out how the extended-warranty companies feel about that, and I might just pass on it if I don't get something in writing regarding that.

Ah, why did you mention the Nakamichi? It was replaced (along with the AC) under warranty in '99. Are there any known problems with that unit? The car has been working perfectly ever since the recalls and those 2 items.

Thanks again buddy!

Juan Carlos
Old 05-17-01, 04:49 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Juan,

i mentioned the NAK because the earlier ad changer unit, not the head unit had the tendency to skip, and some were worse than the others.

lex offers diff types of extended warranty, and the cheaper ones do not cover the changer, or the entire stereo unit. if you decide to get one, either lexus one or other insurance, make sure to get a policy that cobvers the stereo system.

i wish your resident is in s.cal, or i live in el paso,so that you can teach me the simple basic tune-ups.

william